2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dog in the GT for a road trip..?

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Getting ready to take an 800 mile trip (HS reunion) but the wife wants to bring the 2 year old Shih Tzu along. I've always had this 'rule' about no pets in my car...our Golden Retriever always rides in the back of my P/U, but that's all. I'm concerned about paw scratches on the leather, flying fur in the cabin and possible loss of bladder or worse .

So, do I make an exception or attend the reunion alone? If the pup don't go, she won't go Do your pets (aside from wife or girlfriend) travel in your car?
Old 8/15/05, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beagle rides in the passenger seat to and from my parents (~10 minute drive). I put a sheet over the seat. I don't know about 800 miles though.
Old 8/15/05, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a 300 mile trip with our 45# dog. She's always been good on road trips. Whines when she needs to take care of "business". I put an old sheet over the back seat for anti-hair and scratches.

Just took a vacuum to the car after the trip and cleaned the windows from the nose "grease". No worries.

If you're worried about bladder control, just make frequent stops, I guess...and limit the water intake.
Old 8/15/05, 12:59 PM
GT Member

I tried to put my 2 80 # plus dogs in the back........... it did not work, I even tried to put the back seat down, and let em have roam of the trunk, but that too did not work.... Good luck if ya decide to try it, Tim
Old 8/15/05, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by John SCB@August 15, 2005, 1:54 PM
Getting ready to take an 800 mile trip (HS reunion) but the wife wants to bring the 2 year old Shih Tzu along. I've always had this 'rule' about no pets in my car...our Golden Retriever always rides in the back of my P/U, but that's all. I'm concerned about paw scratches on the leather, flying fur in the cabin and possible loss of bladder or worse .

So, do I make an exception or attend the reunion alone? If the pup don't go, she won't go Do your pets (aside from wife or girlfriend) travel in your car?
I'd put the wife and dog in the trunk...
Old 8/15/05, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

My 40 pound Chow rides shotgun all of the time. I put a towel from the headrest down the seat and no problems here. If you put a blanket down in the back seat (double it up) I doubt very much you will have any problems. Good luck!
Old 8/15/05, 01:29 PM
I lust for a M24

I just went through this last weekend. My pug rode on my wife's lap. She was responsible for holding the dog. I rolled the passenger window down, then slid a pillow case between the interior belt molding and the window glass, then I rolled the widow back up holding the pillow case in place so the interior trim panel was protected. Next I took a mattress cover (with the elastic) and wrapped it over the passenger seat, tucking it in so the seatbelt could still be used. I took 3 more pillow cases, put one over the dash, and the other two over the center console, one before the shifter and one after. Lastly, I took the sheet and spread it across the backseat to protect from flying dog hair... what else can you do. (?) After my 400 mile trip, the biggest problem I had was a couple of bug guts on my windshield.
Old 8/15/05, 01:30 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by mffarrell@August 15, 2005, 2:04 PM
I'd put the wife and dog in the trunk...
Somebody on here has done that! I've seen the pics!
Old 8/15/05, 02:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@August 15, 2005, 1:33 PM
Somebody on here has done that! I've seen the pics!

i remember that!
Not a bad idea btw
Old 8/15/05, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Take the freakin dog. Big deal you are driving a Mustang for Gods sake, its not like some big buck deal. And never put your dog in the back of your pickup. I have seen dogs fall out and get smashed in a heart beat by the trailering car. Made me sick that someone was so stupid as to put their dog in the back. If you can't put the dog inside the truck then don't take it. Its again only a truck,
Old 8/15/05, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I say leave the dog and the wife at home. Why your wife won't go without the dog is the bigger question here. Is it because you will be gone for awhile and there's no one around who can check up on the dog?
Old 8/15/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I take my pit bull all the time, I got matching black sheets to cover the back seats. She doesn't even move around, just sits back there enjoying the ride.
Old 8/15/05, 02:34 PM
V6 Member

My German Shepherds are both to big, to heavy, and to much trouble in such a small place. They only get to ride in the back of the forester with the seats down.

I'd hate to see what they'd do the the leather/vinyl.
Old 8/15/05, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jwenger@August 15, 2005, 3:05 PM
Take the freakin dog. Big deal you are driving a Mustang for Gods sake, its not like some big buck deal. And never put your dog in the back of your pickup. I have seen dogs fall out and get smashed in a heart beat by the trailering car. Made me sick that someone was so stupid as to put their dog in the back. If you can't put the dog inside the truck then don't take it. Its again only a truck,
Not to mention it's a freaking Shih Tzu. He weighs what, 8lbs? My 58lb mut rides in my Honda all the time and never scratches the seats. Are the seats in the Mustang that cheap? If so I have some concerns.

Worst case you can buy a padded seat cover for the back seat at any decent pet store and the Shih Tzu is small enough that you can lift him in as opposed to having him climb in. As for bladder etc don't feed the dog the morning before the trip and limit water intake. Stop every 2 hours or so. If the dog has to go it should take less than 5 minutes per stop (assuming your dog is decently house broken). As an added precaution you could even put plastic bags under the seat cover so even if the dog has an accident it won't go through to the seats.

Honestly you're overreacting.
Old 8/15/05, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@August 15, 2005, 11:32 AM
I just went through this last weekend. My pug rode on my wife's lap. She was responsible for holding the dog. I rolled the passenger window down, then slid a pillow case between the interior belt molding and the window glass, then I rolled the widow back up holding the pillow case in place so the interior trim panel was protected. Next I took a mattress cover (with the elastic) and wrapped it over the passenger seat, tucking it in so the seatbelt could still be used. I took 3 more pillow cases, put one over the dash, and the other two over the center console, one before the shifter and one after. Lastly, I took the sheet and spread it across the backseat to protect from flying dog hair... what else can you do. (?) After my 400 mile trip, the biggest problem I had was a couple of bug guts on my windshield.
That sounds like the best way to go...thanks. Protecting all parts of the interior is my biggest concern. It would be interesting to see those photos of everyone in the trunk except the driver
Old 8/15/05, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jwenger@August 15, 2005, 12:05 PM

Guess I should have qualifed the truck thing...it has a shell:

I agree that people who let their dogs run around unleashed in the back of an otherwise uncovered p/u are not thinking straight.
Old 8/15/05, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Trampus@August 15, 2005, 12:13 PM
I say leave the dog and the wife at home. Why your wife won't go without the dog is the bigger question here. Is it because you will be gone for awhile and there's no one around who can check up on the dog?
Yeah, it's tough to find a good and trustworthy dog-sitter. Looks like everyone's going on this trip now :shock:
Old 8/15/05, 04:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen such a thing as a dog seat belt ,its a harness that goes over the dog and clicks into your seat belt system the idea was that in a accident that your dog being on your lap can get hit by the air bag or worse thrown from the car ,you might want to check that out it would also limit the dogs movement through the car .
Old 8/15/05, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would probably fold the seats down to spare the leather. Your dog should still be able to fit on top of them and have enough room. I'd put a blanket or sheet down and make stops every hour and a half or so and take the dog for a little walk.
Old 8/15/05, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Buy a doggie car seat and let your wife sit in the back...=)

And to the person who said "big deal its just a Mustang"... This is my first car that I've paid for 100% myself. Not all of us are big shots, I'm just a 25 year old kid...$30k is an crap load to me. Not to mention my current Honda is trashed and it disgusts me...I do NOT want that happening to my new car...even if it is "just a Mustang".

I actually am getting a doggie car seat that I will keep in my trunk. I'll bust it out whenever I plan on taking my pup somewhere. You are not overreacting.

Quick Reply: Dog in the GT for a road trip..?