2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Does the Mustang need competition

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/06, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As we all know, the mustang is getting its competition back. Does anyone have any opinion about it? If so, feel free to write about it and answer the poll if you want.

[attachmentid=46817] vs [attachmentid=46819]
Old 4/13/06, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted "don't care" because there wasn't an option for "glad". The more competition the better! We are all going to win.

Based on the current Mustang and the Camaro show car, I would still want the Mustang.
Old 4/13/06, 11:00 PM
GT Member

Camaro is ugly.
Old 4/13/06, 11:37 PM
V6 Member

Who's worried? you will never be the fastest. But competion is never bad. It can be good for the Mustang.
Old 4/14/06, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

should they tone down that beak it'll be a nice car. I'm more looking forward to the Challenger.
Old 4/14/06, 02:25 AM
Cobra Member

How do you consider a 400hp car that costs 10 grand more for a comprablely equipped vehicle as competition?

It is a reskinned GTO. 400hp = Faster more expensive car. Not sure what all the hype is over.

Voted "don't care"

Had I wanted a Camaro, I would have saved over 10 grand and bought a used 99+.

I have nothing against GM or Camaro's in particular, just like the Mustang asthetics better and think it's a decent buy at 25 grand for 300hp/320tq.
Old 4/14/06, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

i think that the majority of camaro lovers wouldnt buy a mustang, and most mustang fans wouldnt go and buy the new camaro. even though theyre both performance vehicles, the power & price disparity, brand loyalty, and completely different looks of the two would probably attract different buyers.
that said, the camaro and challenger will force ford to keep the mustang top-notch, because there will be people who will jump the mustang ship if the other cars are vastly superior. i hope ford doesnt screw this up.
Old 4/14/06, 06:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Camaro is ugly.[/b][/quote]

Ditto, Bloated and overrought. As with the Challenger, no subtle cues from the past, but blantant copies. The stylists tried too hard and missed. again! The Mustang has an elegance about it that the others lack.
The competition will keep the best and original (Mustang) alive and well for years to come.
Old 4/14/06, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I voted for Calm because there was no Glad choice.

Competition is always good. It keeps all the manufacturers aware of the others' innovations, and pushes them toward improved design and ideas.

Plus, for us owners, it provides a worthy challenge on the track and fun debate off the track. I don't know about you, but there's not much satisfaction in dusting off a 4-cylinder rice-burner. It's a foregone conclusion.
Old 4/14/06, 06:41 AM

I chose "Don't Care". There is currently no new Camaro on the market and I am enjoying my Stang right now. By the time the Camaro is released, there will be several new play toys on the market. Competion will help keep prices from getting out of control (read GT500).
Old 4/14/06, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mudshuvel319 @ April 14, 2006, 7:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i think that the majority of camaro lovers wouldnt buy a mustang, and most mustang fans wouldnt go and buy the new camaro. even though theyre both performance vehicles, the power & price disparity, brand loyalty, and completely different looks of the two would probably attract different buyers.
that said, the camaro and challenger will force ford to keep the mustang top-notch, because there will be people who will jump the mustang ship if the other cars are vastly superior. i hope ford doesnt screw this up.
[/b][/quote]

I'd actually buy whichever one I thought was the better car.

I've had 3 Camaro Z28s and 3 Mustang GTs. In the '70s and early '80s, the Camaro was the better car. So, I bought those. Then, between '85 and '92, the Mustang was the better car, so I switched. In '93, Camaro took over again with their 275hp 5.7 liter engine. And now of course, Mustang has evolved into a great car again.

It always goes in cycles when there's competition. I have some brand loyalty toward Mustang right now, but when the new Camaro is in production, I will at least check it out.
Old 4/14/06, 07:21 AM

+1
Old 4/14/06, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ April 14, 2006, 8:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'd actually buy whichever one I thought was the better car.

I've had 3 Camaro Z28s and 3 Mustang GTs. In the '70s and early '80s, the Camaro was the better car. So, I bought those. Then, between '85 and '92, the Mustang was the better car, so I switched. In '93, Camaro took over again with their 275hp 5.7 liter engine. And now of course, Mustang has evolved into a great car again.

It always goes in cycles when there's competition. I have some brand loyalty toward Mustang right now, but when the new Camaro is in production, I will at least check it out.
[/b][/quote]

I wasn’t saying that people won't cross over and buy the better car and there's nothing wrong with that. There are just a lot of people, GM and Ford fans especially, who will exclusively buy only one brand, no matter how how much better the competitor's model may be.
There were mustangs (mid 90s especially) that were considerably slower then their GM couterparts from the factory. And there were mustangs (late 80s especially) that overwhelmed the camaros and firebirds of the day. So while there's nothing wrong with picking the best product there are a lot people who will support their favorite car regardless, and I think there are a lot of ford guys who won't fork over the extra money to slide into a camaro in a few years. to each his (or her) own.
Old 4/14/06, 10:39 AM

I think the Camaro and Challenger will be great, pushing Ford hard to improve the Stang well beyond what I think they otherwise would.

They currently seem to have a rather smug, self-satisfied attitude what, with the whole field to themselves. But I think good, stiff competition will quickly wipe that, "we know better (no IRS)," "this is good enough (trim quality, live axle)" attitude off their faces and put a bit more fire in their belly. Competition improves the breed and I think the Stang will eventually be a better car for it.

Or so I hope.
Old 4/14/06, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shatter @ April 13, 2006, 6:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I voted "don't care" because there wasn't an option for "glad". The more competition the better! We are all going to win.

Based on the current Mustang and the Camaro show car, I would still want the Mustang.
[/b][/quote]

That was a Camaro?! I thought it was a Cadillac...my bad ;-)
Old 4/14/06, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ April 14, 2006, 11:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That was a Camaro?! I thought it was a Cadillac...my bad ;-)
[/b][/quote]

It looks to me like GM, took a Cadillac body, dropped on a bow-tie and called it good. I currently own both a Camaro and a Mustang and have to say the new Caamro is completely off the mark. I do, however, think the new Challenger will give the Mustang some competition. I saw it at the Denevr Auto Show and it does look bad-a@@!
Old 4/14/06, 11:18 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think competition is great,

It will push Ford to be less complacent about the Mustang. Competition makes everyone better
Old 4/14/06, 11:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samckernan @ April 14, 2006, 12:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Camaro is ugly.
[/b][/quote]

The video is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/offtopic.gif[/img] I thought that you were talking about another car. (Mustang)
And yes the Camaro is ugly check out the interior. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puke.gif[/img] [attachmentid=46937]
Old 4/14/06, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also said "don't care" though I think it's great. The more that is out there the more incentive there is to keep "improving" things on the stangs and it's more fun to beat something new : ).
Old 4/14/06, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I voted amused simply because I'm old enough to remember the first round of the "pony wars" in the late 60's and into the early 70's. So . . . here we go again!

Quick Reply: Does the Mustang need competition