Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone want to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does everyone want to race you?

I was stopped at a light today in a congested area of town - the light turned green and the kid in the Yukon Denali next to me waited so I could race him. How the heck can I race in town with cars 200 feet ahead of me? He gunned it and "beat" me by 2 carlengths, but that's all we "raced". Another thing I notice is most of the people that actually stop and stare at the car are adolescent boys.
Old 1/27/07, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
He'll prolly tell everyone that Mustangs are an easy kill.Some yahoo in a TT Audi got a jump on me out on the hiway and I wasn't even gonna run that thing,cops everywhere and camera's mounted on the bridges.
Once I was actually confronted by some Camaro guy telling me my AMC Pacer was a piece of crap,maybe so...but I tell him if my other AMC could whupp him would he apologize,he agreed so I went home and got my 390 Javelin SST w/390 4spd. car...he was sorry.

My favorite kill was in my 67'Rebel 550 290 w/3 on the tree.This car was strictly a bench racer and I would never run anyone in that although it looked like it would run.This guy in hopped up Chevelle was revving it up at the stop light,I tell him he'd kick my ****...funny thing happend,the light turns green and he stalls...its was my best kill ever.
Old 1/27/07, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually to my disappointment, no one wants to race me. All of last summer I got in all of 2 races. One with a Lincoln LS8 for a good 30 mile stretch of freeway...and one with a Chrysler Town & Country minivan of all things.
Old 1/27/07, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes!
Old 1/27/07, 09:11 PM
GT Member

Not really.
But they do want to ride my ***.
There is a particular stretch of road that goes from 35 to 45, then 65.
They ride my *** in the 35, and stay on me as it switches to 45.
I patiently cruise along at the speed limt until I'm just next to the 65 sign, then a second later, I'm at 85-100 and they are a speck in the mirror.
It never gets old.
Old 1/27/07, 10:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket88
...and one with a Chrysler Town & Country minivan of all things.
Did they really think they could win?
Old 1/27/07, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

everyone wants to race me...im more confident with my tune and intake...knowing the challengers dont have forced induction
Old 1/27/07, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually end up losing a "race" that I didn't realize was a race. I have yet to see anyone's taillights when they made it obvious they wanted to run.
Old 1/27/07, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

no one wants to race me either.
Old 1/27/07, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Embalmer
... Another thing I notice is most of the people that actually stop and stare at the car are adolescent boys.
I get stares from all ages, from 3 to 93, even from a few dogs too!
Old 1/28/07, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Pretty much just people who have no business messing with a V6 Mustang, let alone a GT, like the lawn mower mufflered ricer mobiles (those **** things are all over the place around here). Then there was the guy with the monster truck... Seriously, I looked out my side window and all I could see was his tires. He lost. Go figure.

Strange thing is people with the cars that would actually provide a challenge always seem to turn tail. Like the kid in the WRX who was slowing for a changing light in front of me. 4 lane divided highway with no one around. I see him look up in his mirror and then all of a sudden he changes his mind and goes through the red. Or there was the guy in the GTO who drives by me, give me the pipes, then weasels his way in-between the two slower cars in front of us (almost hitting the one) and then goes flying down the road to get away. I'll never understand what goes through peoples minds.
Old 1/28/07, 07:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this problem with all of my Mustangs... I usually don't take the bait, but have on occasions. 9-10 times it's some 4cyl, Civic, Eclipse, Neon, etc., with those fart cans. Some advice... be careful accepting the challenge, if they get into an accident, you're just as culpable. There is an ongoing case in Pittsburgh being litigated where there was a fatality- all involved are being held responsible. Food for thought...
Old 1/28/07, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

I've been having issues with squad cars camping on my tail for miles at a time.

Are the rest of you tainting my car's innocence so I can't do it myself?
Old 1/28/07, 09:08 AM
GTR Member

No one wants to race me and it does seem like the most looks come from young kids.
Old 1/28/07, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
be careful accepting the challenge, if they get into an accident, you're just as culpable....
This is why I don't. A week after I got my previous stang I was with my uncle in the Stang and came to a red light, a kid (16-17) reved at me in his VW golf (fart can included ) and I looked over at him and shook my head and said "your not worth it" he flipped me off and gunned it at the light. Another time a guy in a G35 (could have easily beat me in my basically stock V6) revs on me and I ignore him, light goes green he did not notice so I went, turned left and he ended up behind me the rest of the way, while I purposely went slower.
Old 1/29/07, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

I'm guilty of street racing in the past, but the older I get the more cautious I become. I may be tempted, but I don't think I'd take the bait. I've had 2 friends go to jail for street racing years ago, and one spent several thousand in legal fees, not to mention higher insurance rates. It just isn't worth it. It is a misdemeanor offense if you get caught and they want to press the charges.
Old 1/29/07, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Heres my take on it from the other side, well sorta. My dd is a white Toyota Carolla (I sold my 98 a couple of months ago to help buy a house.) Anyway, whenever I see a nicely modded 05+ I try to get along side to check it out or atleast try to give them a thumbs up, but everytime I do they think I'm racing them and they speed off into the sunset (leaving me with an empty feeling inside.) I can't seem to get any love while I'm in my yodah
Old 2/1/07, 01:24 AM
V6 Member

yes.. how ever i do not race..
Old 2/1/07, 03:01 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by lodom
I'm guilty of street racing in the past, but the older I get the more cautious I become. I may be tempted, but I don't think I'd take the bait. I've had 2 friends go to jail for street racing years ago, and one spent several thousand in legal fees, not to mention higher insurance rates. It just isn't worth it. It is a misdemeanor offense if you get caught and they want to press the charges.
I agree. With age, wisdom tends to replace hormones. Thank god.

Fact is, most of these "challengers" already know our cars are plenty fast...or they wouldn't be trying to challenge us in the first place. It's a lot more fun to make like you're gonna race 'em at the light, then when the light turns green and they peel forward, just sit there for a few seconds. I've noticed that REALLY bugs stoplight racers.
Old 2/1/07, 07:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Humboldt Stang
Not really.
But they do want to ride my ***.
There is a particular stretch of road that goes from 35 to 45, then 65.
They ride my *** in the 35, and stay on me as it switches to 45.
I patiently cruise along at the speed limt until I'm just next to the 65 sign, then a second later, I'm at 85-100 and they are a speck in the mirror.
It never gets old.

I've got the same situation on my 4am commute. The stretch where I get to punch it heads up into the mountain part of my drive. And you're right, 'a speck in the mirror' and it never gets old.

Quick Reply: Does everyone want to race you?