2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Does anyone think thier car may be a target

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/06, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm asking this question after being the unfortunate victim of a hit and run driver on my other car last night (while I was aleeping inside) :angry: . Does anyone think since we have new cars that are somewhat nice that some people just target them for vandalism? I'm almost hesitant to put my car cover on with rain on its way just cause I dont want to stand out to be a target of vandalism.

I thought I had lived in a decent area until when I woke up this I went outside to find some idiot had sideswiped my other car and drove off. While I'm thankfull is wasnt the stang, I know it could have very well been my mustang if I had parked it one space back. ( what really pisses me off is the driver of the hit and run car is friends with a neighbor. While I dont know who he his, my landlord heard the accident and looked out her window when it happened and saw the hit and run driver drop someone off at a neighbors house and speed off ) Well tonight with rain in the forecast I went to put my cover on since my mirrors are off being painted. I then realized how much more the car stood out with the cover on ( as if it didnt before ) and I almost wanted to take the cover off to prevent some donkey named jack from targetting thier car. Has anyone else felt that way? Oh well, just venting some of my anger right now.
Old 1/22/06, 08:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This discussion has been going on for quite a while now. It is nothing new. Anytime a new model car comes out, especially a mustang, they all seem to be victims of people that are complete idiots. Every new car I have had has been egged, keyed, etc. So far, my new car has not been touched but I think that is only because it sits in a garage at night. I live in a very nice neighbourhood, but that doesn't mean idiots won't enter it.
Old 1/22/06, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Yes, they are a target.
Today I got a call from my grandson. His 05 Black GT was stolen by some last night, they found it this afternoon burnt to the ground. :angry: I just looked at Kelly Blue Book and it is valued at 30k (Retail) Wonder how much the insurance will pay?
Old 1/22/06, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nothing changes. MY 88 GT was keyed about a dozen years ago. I still remember how sick I felt when I found it
Old 1/22/06, 09:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garages do help and also avoiding parking lots as much as possible(If you are gonna leave it for a long time).Sounds totally ****,but it works
Old 1/22/06, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I HATE parking lots. I park so far out It's unreal. The really annoying part is when some moron parks inches from my door. I think they do it on purpose. My car is all alone and they have to manuver to get right next to me. Inches away in a near empty lot. It drives me CRAZY !! :ranting:
Old 1/22/06, 10:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Jason,

I'm sorry to hear about your car . I don't think it is as much of the car being a target as I think the guy that did it was drunk and played pinball off the car going down the street. File a police report, your landlord is an eyewitness.

I had a car parked on the street once and some drunk guy came around and side swiped it end to end. Unfortunately no witnesses. The place I told you about fixed and did a really great job.

I'm sure your area is a good area and the majority of the people there are neighboorly, just unfortunate to have an idiot in the neighborhood. :bang: My sister lives in a well to do area and the same thing happened to both her cars. She lives on a street in the shape of a "u" off a main street so the only people to drive on her street either live there or are visiting someone there. They had resealed their driveway so both cars were parked on the street. Well, that same night their neighboor two houses down came home drunk and smashed both her cars.

I hope you get the guy and he gets what is coming to him.
Old 1/22/06, 10:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1200custom@January 22, 2006, 10:12 PM
I HATE parking lots. I park so far out It's unreal. The really annoying part is when some moron parks inches from my door. I think they do it on purpose. My car is all alone and they have to manuver to get right next to me. Inches away in a near empty lot. It drives me CRAZY !! :ranting:

Thats as bad as people who go slow in the fast lane :bang: :bang: :bang:

Both of these breed of people need to be in the face
Old 1/22/06, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

sorry I feel better now
Old 1/23/06, 12:41 AM

purchase a gun and nodoze. sit and wait
Old 1/23/06, 02:19 AM
Bullitt Member

i'll say it again.

Cameras and a paging alarm...the only way know for sure.

If you buy a Stang you need to protect it like gold.
Cause like you said it just stands out that much.
Old 1/23/06, 06:17 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I try and keep my car as secure as possible... no doubt it is a vandalism target

I am fortunate to be able to park it in the garage at home. When I do take it out to parking lots, I either try to park a little bit farther out (not hogging 3 spaces either). I also try and park next to high-end cars like BMW's. Usually their owners are just as picky as we are and would try to avoid door dings and scratches.
Old 1/23/06, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1200custom@January 23, 2006, 12:12 AM
you have to play the parking lot psycology game. When you park way out in the parking lot, far away from everyone else, you're conspicuous, and morons like you mention are going to park right next to you just to get your goat...

instead, don't make it so obvious that you're trying to protect your car. What I do is to always look for an end spot if possible - that at least reduces the ding possibility by 50%, since they can only park next to you on one side. If you can, park at the extreme end of that spot, so if someone does park next to you, if they stay within the lines they'll be far enough away from you that they won't ding you.

There can never be a 100% guarantee that you won't get dinged in a parking lot, but you minimize the chances by parking in end spots, and not so far away from everyone else that you don't become a target for idiots.
Old 1/23/06, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
the parking lot game, it can be fun, lol.
The grocery store and my bank are one. And the bank next door to the grocery store has a nice empty close parking lot that no one uses but me.
Old 1/23/06, 11:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by schmitty@January 23, 2006, 12:44 AM
purchase a gun and nodoze. sit and wait

Now that's funny! That's what I'm talking about
Old 1/24/06, 08:06 AM
FR500 Member

Sorry to hear about your car, Jason. I guess you can't say for certain it was because of your car. But that may very be why. I personally wouldn't have bought a brand new stang (and then put thousands into it) if I didn't have a safe place to put it. I happen to have a few acres and live in a pretty rural area. Nobody comes on my proporty at night. If they did, my pits would wake me, and my shotgun might just be waking the neighbors. But if I lived in the city, I wouldn't have bought the car if I didn't have a garage. It would be a lot harder to sleep, for sure.

As far as parking lots, I broke my leg really bad years back and so I was able to get a handicapped tag. Not a plate, but the tag you hang up on your mirror when you park. I haven't had any trouble yet in parking lots. Parking in handicapped spots allows you to park up in the front (less chance of vandalism) and also gives you a wider spot so nobody opens their door into your car. So, basically my advice is to break your leg so that you can get a handicapped tag.
Old 1/24/06, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

My first BRAND NEW car, a red 1982 Capri 5.0 was keyed soon after I got it. On my 3rd new car, a 90 Mustang 5.0 convertible my top was slashed.

At least 5 cars since then and I've never had a problem. Be careful where and how you park. The vandals may be just jealous or they may be pi$$ed off if you cut them off or you did something else. That's not an excuse for them! It's wrong of course, but err on the side of caution and be a good driver. A garage helps too.
Old 1/24/06, 06:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by acadian@January 24, 2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your car, Jason. I guess you can't say for certain it was because of your car. But that may very be why. I personally wouldn't have bought a brand new stang (and then put thousands into it) if I didn't have a safe place to put it. I happen to have a few acres and live in a pretty rural area. Nobody comes on my proporty at night. If they did, my pits would wake me, and my shotgun might just be waking the neighbors. But if I lived in the city, I wouldn't have bought the car if I didn't have a garage. It would be a lot harder to sleep, for sure.

As far as parking lots, I broke my leg really bad years back and so I was able to get a handicapped tag. Not a plate, but the tag you hang up on your mirror when you park. I haven't had any trouble yet in parking lots. Parking in handicapped spots allows you to park up in the front (less chance of vandalism) and also gives you a wider spot so nobody opens their door into your car. So, basically my advice is to break your leg so that you can get a handicapped tag.
Old 1/24/06, 09:17 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Mine is just a target for every bird, cat and small child in the neighborhood. They will not keep off of it, or their hands off it while it is sitting in the drive way. However none of the kids have pooped on it yet or walked across the hood. not that I know of.
Old 1/25/06, 05:30 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Mine is no target- everyone in the neighborhood comes over to tell me how much they want one(and I started a rash of them showing up here).

I did get egged twice, but once was little hillbilly kids and the other was little vandals, both NOT here.

Quick Reply: Does anyone think thier car may be a target