2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dodge's Mustang Fighter Coming in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/05, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're going to base the Mustang challenger (HAH!) on an old mid 90's Mercedes platform? With that much time on their hands I'd be more thrilled to see them make a new platform for the LX, 300 and Challenger types.

The platform was dated before the 300C came, regardless how much Chrysler did to enhance it. Did I miss something?
Old 6/13/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@June 13, 2005, 2:51 PM
They're going to base the Mustang challenger (HAH!) on an old mid 90's Mercedes platform? With that much time on their hands I'd be more thrilled to see them make a new platform for the LX, 300 and Challenger types.

The platform was dated before the 300C came, regardless how much Chrysler did to enhance it. Did I miss something?
If indeed they base it on a mid's Mercedes platform it will be the best thing they could ever do. That pltform was one the best that Mercedes ever had. Great move IMO. Anyone that owned or knows their Mercedes would agree with me I believe.
Old 6/13/05, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@June 13, 2005, 1:51 PM

You obviously didn't read the article Brad posted at the start of this thread. It states:

Madden says the sport coupe is planned to debut in 2009, when the next-generation LX vehicles are scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled.
That sounds like they will be updating the platform to me.
Old 6/13/05, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

It can be read both ways. But I digress, it's nice to see that they are picking up the glove anyway. A testimony to the success of the Mustang.
Old 6/13/05, 01:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In so many ways - it's like 1965 all over again

...or at least from what I heard about it!
Old 6/13/05, 01:18 PM

Something like this is to be expected. Other car companies are seeing the success of the retro mustang, and are looking to capitalize with their own 'retro-rebirths'.

2009 is certainly kinda late. But better then never.

The muscle cars are returning, beautiful.
Old 6/13/05, 01:24 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by TheLegend@June 13, 2005, 12:09 PM
I think you guys dont see the big picture. In my opinion, by 2009 there will be so many Mustangs on the road people wil be sick of seeing them and depending on the specs, looks and price of the Challenger it could be a hit. I was sick of my 2000 Mustang after a year of owning it because I saw so many of them on the raod everyday. Everyone and their cousin owned one. You would have thought it was the last car on the planet.

I think Ford needs to make sure that by 2009 they have redesigned the Mustang in order to compete. People dont by a Mustang just to own one but because of its specs, looks and price. So, if the Challenger can beat that Ford is up for a huge challenge. I wish Ford would only make 60-70,000 Mustangs a year that way are car would not depreciate in an embarrassing way. I dont mean to be negative here. I am a huge Stang fan but I try to be open minded and that is my prospective on the topic. Hope I am wrong.
How can you call yourself a "huge stang fan" if you got "sick" of your car after only one year...I still own my 98 and I love it and there are tons of people here who still have their stang from the 60's and they still love it...and thats why we moddify to make it unlike every other one on the road....you can never get tired of a Mustang.....FOR SHAME!!!!
Old 6/13/05, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

EDIT- misread. :bang:
Old 6/13/05, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by TheLegend@June 13, 2005, 11:09 AM
People dont by a Mustang just to own one but because of its specs, looks and price.
who buys a Mustang just to own one? People do buy them based on price, looks, and spec.
Old 6/13/05, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@June 13, 2005, 3:27 PM
How can you call yourself a "huge stang fan" if you got "sick" of your car after only one year...I still own my 98 and I love it and there are tons of people here who still have their stang from the 60's and they still love it...and thats why we moddify to make it unlike every other one on the road....you can never get tired of a Mustang.....FOR SHAME!!!!
If I was not a huge Stang fan I would have not bought another one without a doubt. Maybe it was the body style or the interior or like I said their was/is too many on the road or all of the above. I just got fed up with it. Simple as that. :scratch: Take it easy though. I didnt say it was ugly or nothing. Relax...its all good. LOL.

Now when it comes to a Stang from the 60's I would LOVE to have one!!!! Its a classic and nor are their many on the road. Unfotunately, I cant afford to keep it up as a daily driver.
Old 6/13/05, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@June 13, 2005, 3:36 PM
who buys a Mustang just to own one? People do buy them based on price, looks, and spec.
:scratch: :scratch: Whats your point. LOL

People that buy the car just because they need a car not because they want it. I remember having cars that I didnt wont when I was in school but didnt have choice because I was not buying...my parents were and I needed something on wheels.
Old 6/13/05, 02:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

IMO this can only be good news for future Mustangs - nothing like competition so you have to think outta the box.
Old 6/13/05, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree. But I'll bet they have 340 - 380 hp. Ford is going to have to "up the anty" - but we know they won't. Or will they?
Old 6/13/05, 02:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

That chop by Burningman is sweeeeet !!
Old 6/13/05, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think we can put this thread to bed for a few years I'll have the Mustang paid off by the time this thing is "planned" to arrive

I agree, competition is a good thing. If Ford continues to make great cars at a great price, they'll have nothing to worry about. But, if Ford gets complacent they could have some problems down the road when the competition has a comparable car to compete with the Mustang.
Old 6/13/05, 03:23 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by TheLegend@June 13, 2005, 1:52 PM
If I was not a huge Stang fan I would have not bought another one without a doubt. Maybe it was the body style or the interior or like I said their was/is too many on the road or all of the above. I just got fed up with it. Simple as that. :scratch: Take it easy though. I didnt say it was ugly or nothing. Relax...its all good. LOL.

Now when it comes to a Stang from the 60's I would LOVE to have one!!!! Its a classic and nor are their many on the road. Unfotunately, I cant afford to keep it up as a daily driver.
I am relaxed, it was meant to be a funny comment (well the last part about the for shame was at least, the rest was only partially serious, I dont see how you can get sick of it after only one year) but sarcassism doesnt really come off well while typing.
Old 6/13/05, 04:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A competitor...FINALLY.
Glad SOMEONE is stepping up to the plate and actually coming out and saying it.

More than that other company who keeps dangling the carrot for the poor followers. We know its coming, but we aren't sure when/where/what

And now, if Dodge comes to market first.... there'll be a lot of people from the GM camp that swear would never own a ford, that would hop over to a dodge, no questions asked.

2 other 'pony' cars around would be great for lighting the fire under fords toes for upgrades. But don't kid yourself, I'm sure they saw this coming already. Can't show ALL your cards or let on you know whats coming.
Right guys.
Show em whose BOSS Ford
Old 6/13/05, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Boomer@June 13, 2005, 3:07 PM
Show em whose BOSS Ford
now that was one of the wittiest comments ive read in a long time. a boss/mach1/gt350/etc will be out probly 2008, and be brutal to the market of a v8 rwd 2dr mustang competitor
Old 6/13/05, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Remember this mantra about cars: It's a business and - someone will always catch the other guys nappin'. Do the other play catch up? The 64.5 Mustang caught the industry...so did the first mini-van. Industry response was drive by sales figures. The PT Cruiser was hot - but no one else ran something similar (until now - GM!) and I don't see Chrysler 300 wannabes rolling off the lines from Ford or GM.

Size. It's got to be in the same size arena as the Mustang. A two door Charger - is just a big two door car. The new Charger makes me think of the chunky '55 '56 Chevy two doors (think Bel-air). No doubt that it could be fast. But it's not the same size - not the same.

Mustang might be its own worse enemy. The redesign for 2010 (?) has got to sweet. Upgrades and changes have to be well thought out (like the Pony).
Old 6/13/05, 05:02 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad that there will be a competitor to the Mustang in 2009, it can only make the Mustangs better. If Dodge offers the challenger with an IRS, i'd like to expect that a similar unit will be shoehorned in the Mustang for its mid-cycle refreshening due about the same time.

Hopefully the boys at D-C will embrace the heritage of the Challenger and build something with a retro flavour.

Wonder what Bobby Lutz thinks of all of this? They are too busy building HHR's

Quick Reply: Dodge's Mustang Fighter Coming in 2009