2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do you have rust on your 2005+ Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Do you have rust on your 2005+ Mustang?

Do you have rust on your 2005+ Mustang? If you do, please share where you're finding rust so the rest of us can also check & rustproof those places!!
Old 2/4/07, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My headers are pretty narsty.
Old 2/4/07, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I had rust on a 8month old car I'd be ****ed.

The only place I expect rust is on the exhaust components just because they get hot and cold and are subject to a lot of water hitting them..

then again it rains here in Socal probaby once a year.... if we are lucky.
Old 2/4/07, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just posted on this topic. I think on the GT Tech forum. My rear suspension is pretty rusty in a few spots. Car is an '05. The axle shaft housings, brake mountings, and parts of the shock mounts, etc. I've just been cleaning them up and painting them with Rustoleum. Looks much better. I think it's from the liquid ice melter they use on the roads out here. It's pretty nasty stuff.
Old 2/5/07, 05:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Axle tubes, exhaust manifolds, power steering rack/pump housing, and catalytic converters. A 2 month old GT will already have rust on these areas.
Old 2/5/07, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

In regards to rusty exhaust manifolds:
Almost all factory exhaust manifolds are made of cast iron. Almost all factory exhaust manifolds are NOT painted. They are not painted because they run so hot that paint will just burn, discolor and flake off. So yes they will rust. They are also very thick and I have never seen an exhaust manifold rust through. Crack yes but never rust through. It's only surface rust and while it doesn't look good it's harmless. Due to these reasons they also rust on every other car that was ever made. This is nothing new and nothing peculiar to the Mustang. A good excuse to replace them with ceramic coated long tube headers. They run cooler which reduces load on your cooling system and will reduce under hood temperatures to say nothing of the benefits of greatly improved flow characteristics. With these S197 cars long tube headers are the ONLY exhaust upgrade that will show any significant gain. (Usually somewhere between 20 - 30 hp with a good tune)
In regards to other parts rusting:
These like other cars are mass produced. No car manufacturer can keep production costs down and provide intricate detailing on any mass produced car. The solution:
If rusty parts bother you, remove the ones that you can, prep them, paint them and put them back on. That's what I did with some of them, some I painted in place but that's just me.
Old 2/5/07, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

my entire rear was rusty, any stock exhaust was rusty. thats about it. since i changed my rear end and will be changing the headers in a week or two, i will have zero rust left
Old 2/5/07, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 281GT
In regards to rusty exhaust manifolds:
Almost all factory exhaust manifolds are made of cast iron. Almost all factory exhaust manifolds are NOT painted. They are not painted because they run so hot that paint will just burn, discolor and flake off. So yes they will rust. They are also very thick and I have never seen an exhaust manifold rust through. Crack yes but never rust through. It's only surface rust and while it doesn't look good it's harmless. Due to these reasons they also rust on every other car that was ever made. This is nothing new and nothing peculiar to the Mustang. A good excuse to replace them with ceramic coated long tube headers. They run cooler which reduces load on your cooling system and will reduce under hood temperatures to say nothing of the benefits of greatly improved flow characteristics. With these S197 cars long tube headers are the ONLY exhaust upgrade that will show any significant gain. (Usually somewhere between 20 - 30 hp with a good tune)
In regards to other parts rusting:
These like other cars are mass produced. No car manufacturer can keep production costs down and provide intricate detailing on any mass produced car. The solution:
If rusty parts bother you, remove the ones that you can, prep them, paint them and put them back on. That's what I did with some of them, some I painted in place but that's just me.
My 2000 Crown Vic was factory ordered and ARRIVED with rust on the axle tubes, steering gear, and exhaust manifolds. My 1981 T-bird has the original rear-end assembly and original exhaust manifolds. They have not rusted through, and this is nothing new to me. I thought I'd just voice my observations on a relatively new 2007 Mustang GT.

The 2003 E-250 on the other hand, came with a painted rear end assembly (black epoxy paint). Then again, this was a Dana 60 rear end and not a Visteon 8.8". Dana probably specified a protective coating for its axle assemblies.
Old 2/5/07, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Factory headers are always rusty, and I can live with that. But, what are you guys doing about your other rust spots?
Old 2/5/07, 08:25 PM
Cobra R Member

The headers and other exhaust parts rust and usually for a long while and usually a lot of use this will only be surface rust. Surface rust is known as discoloration on such cast iron and stainless steel. However Ford does not consider surface rust as rust under their warranty. So take care of any unpainted areas accordingly whether or not under warranty. Keep your car cleaned, waxed, and dry.
Old 2/6/07, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually have a small amount of rust by my AC condenser(I think). Don't really know how it got there.
Old 2/6/07, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The cool part about the Mustang is that they have a large selection of affordable aftermarket exhaust parts. If your cats rust out, you can get an off-road X/H pipe or X/H-pipe with cats for a fraction of the OEM cats. I'm not worried about the exhaust on the Stang at all. I'm more worried about the body and chassis though.
Old 2/6/07, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm with metroplex, I already have an aftermarket exhaust, but the new body hasnt been out enough time to rust. So it may be a 5 yr rust bucket or last a lifetime with nothing, theres no evidence either way.
Old 2/6/07, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Ive heard of reports of the underside of the hood lip where the seam is rusting.
Old 2/6/07, 08:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The hood is aluminum, or at least a non-ferromagnetic alloy where my magnetic pickup tool wasn't being attracted to it.
Old 2/6/07, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Still rusts. Just wait another year or so. Im sure there wil lbe more reports of this.
Old 2/6/07, 09:06 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm hoping there aren't reports but, I have heard of a few cases, because of bad body ork after an accident, not fords fault there
Old 2/6/07, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its been eight hour since I took my unit for a drive I hope I'm not rusty !
Old 2/14/07, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I drive mine rain or shine. I have 32,000 miles on the odometer and no rust. Even the undercarriage looks rustfree. On the other hand, I keep the car very clean and park in a garage every night.
Old 2/14/07, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Still rusts. Just wait another year or so. Im sure there wil lbe more reports of this.
God, I hope your kidding.....aluminum does'nt rust.

Quick Reply: Do you have rust on your 2005+ Mustang?