2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do you fellow 5 speed owners think the ..

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/05, 10:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission is notchy? Particularly 1st and 2nd gears. Mine seems pretty notchy especially when at a stop and selecting 1st gear. I was looking online to see if anyone else's tranny feels notchy.

I only have 700 miles on the car. Perhaps it needs to break in a little more?
Old 4/13/05, 10:48 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

No problems with my manual tranny.. shifts like a dream -
Old 4/14/05, 12:05 AM
GT Member

It shifts nice, but I have to admit it, I thought my toploader was noisy till I drove this one.

It's like driving a tractor, and there seems to be a bit of slop in the driveline too.

I do notice a little roughness at low speed, but it might just be me, I'll monitor it a bit better over the next couple of weeks.
Old 4/14/05, 01:29 AM
V6 Member

Who are you referring to? All 05's, manual and auto, are 5 speed.
I have an auto and it is smooth as as butter!

I bet I'll beat you in a race! No way manual drivers can shift as quick as our autos!
Old 4/14/05, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by zwooky@April 14, 2005, 3:32 AM

I bet I'll beat you in a race! No way manual drivers can shift as quick as our autos!
I'll take that bet. How much you got?
Old 4/14/05, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DENVER05GT@April 13, 2005, 11:50 PM
Transmission is notchy? Particularly 1st and 2nd gears. Mine seems pretty notchy especially when at a stop and selecting 1st gear. I was looking online to see if anyone else's tranny feels notchy.

I only have 700 miles on the car. Perhaps it needs to break in a little more?
It's definitely a bit notchy. I think it's due to the fact that the shifter doesn't bolt directly to the tranny, like in the SN95 Mustangs, but instead has that linkage about a foot long to reach back to the tranny.

The shifter also feels a bit flimsier than my '95 GT too. My '95 had the stock shifter, which a lot of people thought was pretty flimsy compared to aftermarket stuff like the Pro-5.0, or the Tri-Ax, and I'm sure it was flimsy compared to those shifters. But the '05 is flimsier still... It's not flimsy like a typical front-drive manual Japanese car, by a long shot, but not what I'm used to from American V-8 muscle cars. Again, I'm pretty sure this flimsiness is a result of the new linkage.

With 750 miles on my '05, the shifting does seem to be breaking in somewhat, but it's still a lot more notchy-feeling than my '95 GT. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be a problem, and I'm already used to it.
Old 4/14/05, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I second that bet, biotch! Who's to say that we cannot beat you??? You think technology is better than man shifting??!? Just wait until your auto tranny breaks, then you'll be hurting a lot far worse than we would if we were to have a problem. Some people !

Matt
Old 4/14/05, 08:03 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by zwooky@April 14, 2005, 2:32 AM

I'll definatley take that bet! Meet me in the parking lot after work....with your pink slip.
Old 4/14/05, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh and in respone to the question, I have noticed first to 2nd is a little just a little notchy, not much though, I have 2,450 miles on my car.

Matt
Old 4/14/05, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Okay guys,

I'm going to drive it a little harder and see if the tranny will break in a little more. THanks for all of youru replies!
Old 4/14/05, 09:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will place that bet as well, but you may not want to if you looked at the 1/4 mile time differences between the manual and auto.

I do find the 2nd to 3rd shift can be a bit "notchy" but other than that it is very smooth shifting.
Old 4/14/05, 09:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thought the stock shifter was good but the 2nd to 3rd seemed to me a little sloppy. The Tri-AX took care of that but cheap it ain't.
Old 4/14/05, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been happy with my stick. I do not have any issues with it being noisy or with missing shifts. The ONLY issue I can think of is reverse is a bit "muddy" at times. We shall see if that nice, shiny bit of CNC milled Tri-Ax can take care of that issue (and according to the article on Richard's car, it won't...). I still want tighter sifts.
Old 4/14/05, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I have driven them all, 3 speeds / 4 speeds / 5 speeds and 6 speed manuals and trust me 1st to 2nd in the GT is notchy, not bad but still not buttery smooth like an Acura. But what do you expect???
Old 4/14/05, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by zwooky@April 14, 2005, 1:32 AM

ah my first victim, to bad you have a stang....
Old 4/14/05, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Where's all my auto guys for support!?!?
Stock, I know the manual would win, barely. That's due to lower gearing and less power loss through the drivetrain. Once power is added (I hope to have 450 to the wheels when all is said and done) I believe the auto will shine. No way you guys won't be losing momentum during shifting with that much torque. Since this auto shifts amazing quick (instantly!) and with that much power making the gearing just fine I will hold my own against any auto!

No disrespect to manual guys, just my opinion.
Old 4/14/05, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

No matter how fast the auto shifts (and I admit, this new auto ROCKS), we (stick drivers) can power shift just as fast, if not faster, and we have the advantage of that extra power that hits the wheels when we drop the clutch between each shift without letting off the gas. When you are powershifting, and you keep your foot on the floor, when you push the clutch in to shift, the revs will rise, and then after you put it in the next gear and dump the clutch, it has the same effect of dropping the clutch and gassing it off the line (although much less).
Old 4/14/05, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I've found that shifting at lower RPM's there is some notchiness. If I take the rev's to about 4K or above and then shift, it is much smoother.
Old 4/14/05, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by zwooky@April 14, 2005, 12:23 PM
Where's all my auto guys for support!?!?
Stock, I know the manual would win, barely. That's due to lower gearing and less power loss through the drivetrain. Once power is added (I hope to have 450 to the wheels when all is said and done) I believe the auto will shine. No way you guys won't be losing momentum during shifting with that much torque. Since this auto shifts amazing quick (instantly!) and with that much power making the gearing just fine I will hold my own against any auto!

No disrespect to manual guys, just my opinion.
There's no disrespect, I think I speak for all stick drivers when I say we get them manual for the driving experience and connection, not really for knowing its a few tenths faster than the auto.
Old 4/14/05, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

I'd have your back (I have an auto vert - dissed on both counts by people who have coupes with sissy colors), but the whole discussion, on both ends - is childish. A lot of puffing our chests out and offering to race cyber guys for pinks... give me a break. I dare you man!!! brother..

Quick Reply: Do you fellow 5 speed owners think the ..