2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do We Do It For The Attention?

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/05, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the first car that I have modified. I did it because I love the old classic Mustangs and wanted something that said "unique" or "instant classic". That is what I got, but I also got something I didn't expect: Attention. Lots of it. I can't go anywhere without getting compliments on my car. My wife ran into Wal-Mart the other day, and I just stayed in the car, parked illegally along the front of the building. In the ten minutes she was in there, four different groups/families of people stopped to comment and compliment on the car! I can't get gas without the same thing. My favorite comment that I've gotten several times is "Oh....My....God!!" Makes you feel special! The thing is, I kinda like it. I'm almost getting to where I expect it. On those rare occasions where no one notices me or even gives a thumbs up, I'm rather disappointed. I know there will come a time soon when I am no longer unique or special, and most attention will stop, but right now, I like my "attention fix". I love my car whether anyone else does or not, but I was wondering whether the attention could be a motivation for some of us to mod their car? I may have already become an Attention Junky. For those to whom modding is a hobby, whad'ya think?
Old 10/2/05, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang owners have been dealing with this since day one 40 years ago!, sure there were some off years, but its always been a part of the Mustang experience.

I remember when my fairly conservative mother wanted a sporty car after the last of the kids were all grown and gone, she bought a new 90'LX 5.0, 5spd, black with red pinstripes, she got comments everywhere she went, lol, in no time at all she was a hotrod grandma to the locals....no one is ammune I tell ya!
Old 10/2/05, 10:04 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my car got attention before I even started to mod it. Now that I have I get even more attention. Some bad, but most is good. I have always modded my cars so the "attention" isn't anything new to me. I just wish there were car shows in my area for newer cars. The only ones around here are for classics
Old 10/2/05, 10:28 AM
3rd Times A Charm

You should be able to enter in a Classics car show. We have one here where I live every Friday night. They all love the new Mustang. Same with the Charger and GTO, they should be alowed into classics shows. JMO.
Old 10/2/05, 10:50 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,221 Posts
YES!
Old 10/2/05, 01:18 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

The Chevy guys will be ROTF over this one.

Old 10/2/05, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

I'm getting the Mustang for my own personal wants and needs. I never do anything to attract attention to myself, and preach this to my children. There's nothing a can't stand more than the me me me people, look at me.
Old 10/2/05, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 2, 2005, 12:07 PM
Well my car got attention before I even started to mod it. Now that I have I get even more attention. Some bad, but most is good. I have always modded my cars so the "attention" isn't anything new to me. I just wish there were car shows in my area for newer cars. The only ones around here are for classics
i also get attention all the time...like 8 tims yesterday alone...the best had to be a couple in there 70`s telling me they love the car...

adrenalin yea i get pissed off everytime i got to a car show with my guys now i have my older toys but i love driving this car..they always tell me you need to park near the newer cars..or you wont be judged...im like i dont give a crap dont judge me then.....i am not going to park on one end and have my buddies on the other end and not be able to just hang out and shoot the poo...and not watch my car at the same time..like at the last show i was at some jerk was riding a bike inbetween the cars...we almost went fist to cuffs with him...
Old 10/2/05, 04:22 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by Route 66@October 2, 2005, 4:40 PM
... There's nothing I can't stand more than the me me me people, look at me.

Do you mean to tell me that enjoying the driving experience and self gratification is more important than getting noticed? What is this world coming to?

Old 10/2/05, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Tell ya what, I get more hunnies checkin me out and hookin me up with phone numbers than I ever did with my older Mustang, I love this car!
Old 10/2/05, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

I would agree with you about the hunnies if I was 15 years younger. Being married and having three girls of my own, I don't need to drive around looking for action. I'll drive the car maybe 5,000 Smiles a year and yes, for self gratificaion. :drive:
Old 10/2/05, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Since I've had mine, I have only had one person say anything to me about my car. A 96 Cobra owner. We talked a bit and I showed him around the car, but other than that Not much, which is fine with me. Part of the reason I went with Windveil Blue, is because it does not standout. (and it sort of reminds me of my tropical turquoise 65) I also park way away from the front of any store, and park on the side of the building of my job. Even after all this I still managed to get my hood dented in after the second week of ownership and had to pay $650 to fix. I bought mine for the love of the Mustang and the personal enjoyment. Even my wife wanted me to get a more "Mustang like color like red or yellow"
Old 10/2/05, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I live in a small town and I have a 94 and people always tell me they like my car and wut not
Old 10/2/05, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Last night these teenage girls were yelling at me to "go back to their house!" after I pulled into a parking lot in my Stang.

Of course, I ain't lookin' for jailbait, but if I was 15 yrs younger =)
Old 10/2/05, 11:16 PM
GT Member

I was planning on rebuilding a 1968. But I just dont have the time with work and kids and I could only afford 1 new car so I went with the ready made classic without rust. Ha ha.

I love it. Still want to redo a 1968 coupe a la California Special, but that will have to wait several years.
Old 10/3/05, 12:11 AM
GT Member

Not an attention wanter. However, I couldn't resist the look and practicality of a red car (smudge resistant)

Now, people just don't leave me alone! Heheh. Anybody ever had somebody say "whoa" more than 4x in one look? Haha.

There are also alot more haters than i would have had with either black or windveil, or jeez, any colour but red! Torch is LOUD.

-C
Old 10/3/05, 01:20 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

attention is great and I will never get enough of it, but I modded for the speed, there is no such thing as too much power or too fast, ok back to modding the car now
Old 10/3/05, 03:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nope.
Old 10/3/05, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

I haven't modified mine, just exhaust and wheels/tires. I didn't buy the car for attention and really had no idea just how much I'd get with it. I'm a low key kinda guy and get really self conscious when people I don't know start asking me about the car. I try not to make eye contact at the car wash for fear of having to chat with someone about it. It's not that I'm too stuck up, it just makes me really uncomfortable. I have to admit it is pretty cool that people dig it and you see people rubber neck to get a good look though.

It's nice that there are enough on the streets now the interest has died down a bit. Back in december I got stopped by people everywhere I went, now it's only occasionaly.

If I add any modifications, it will be for the same reason I bought the car, because I dig it, not for anyones elses opinion or attention.
Old 10/3/05, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Each person has their own motivation for owning and modifying their Mustang but for me, I just love Mustangs and modify mine because I enjoying personalizing my car to suit my individual tastes. I could care less if anyone else likes my car, I'm only doing it only for myself, not anyone else.

Quick Reply: Do We Do It For The Attention?