2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do I really want to add options?

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/06, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob99b5
You know, you're right about the pass seat. My wife rode shotgun in my new '07 today and she said she could hardly see over the dash.
Ditto again today. A co-worker of mine also asked if he could raise the seat.
Old 6/29/06, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Premium and IUP are worth it

and it looks the the Premier trim is as well
Old 7/1/06, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

might as well buy the best- you never know- you might want it later and kick yourself for not getting it... its better to have too many gadgets than not enough.... if you're going to buy a mustang- whats another couple grand????
Old 10/12/06, 05:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The IUP, to ME, is a waste of money. The fugly chrome and brushed aluminum panels make the interior look gaudy. I never liked chrome on the outside of the car and I never liked it on the inside of the car. Shiny metallic surfaces get extremely hot in the summer. Different strokes for different folks - I know lots of people like shiny metal objects and surfaces on their cars, so to each his/her own!

I heard the extra gauges are all "dummy" gauges. All I need:
tachometer, speedometer, fuel level, voltmeter, odometer, trip odometer, and coolant temperature.

MyColor, Trip Computer, Dummy Oil Pressure, etc... are kind of neat and I would take them if they were free add-ons.
Old 10/12/06, 05:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

I personally wouldn't buy a new car today without side air bags. I saw a news report the other day that said side-impact crashes are killing more people than head-ons now that front air bags are mandatory. Side impact bags will be mandatory in the 2010 MY, I believe.
Old 10/12/06, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The lack of side air-bags wasn't a big problem back in the 60s-90s, I wonder if these newsreports are just trying to sell side airbags?
Old 10/12/06, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Option it out as much as you can.

Get the IUP and the MyColor. I remember lots of folks here a while back kicking themselves and asking how they could upgrade to MyColor when the '05s were new. I have it and I am glad I did. I got a Shaker 1000, yes it is bulky, but it rocks and I am not fighting with some pimply faced kid at Best Buy who doesn't know how to install some aftermarket car stereo. (and may short out your wiring to boot)

I myself wish I had gotten the side airbags now - I am stuck without them now as long as I have this car. I also wanted 18" wheels and a power passenger seat (not available in 2005), and I wish I had gotten the alarm system as well. I had to buy the 18" wheels recently, and I am trying at this moment to arrange to retrofit a $500 power seat kit (also not available in 2005) into my car.

There are plenty of mods you can do to add performance - use your money for THAT, don't waste your mod money on trying to overcome order time cheapness.
Old 10/12/06, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The more options you tack on, the heavier the car, and the slower it runs.
Old 10/12/06, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Order very option you might THINK you want. If you don't you will kick yourself later.
You are spending around $30k, if $2k is that big of a deal, you probably shouldn't be ordering the car anyway.
I got the IUP, I agree that it makes the interior look bland without it and the MyColor and extra gauges are a plus
I got the Shaker 500 and guess what, I upgraded all of it. I still have the stock stuff just in case I ever want to sell it (which I won't)
I got Charcoal Leather too. I just like leather better and the darker charcoal looks better IMO. Tint the windows and use a sunshade, that will solve the too hot garbage.
Bottom line; Get EVERYTHING on it you WANT.
Can't go wrong with this car
Old 10/12/06, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you are financing the vehicle, whats the difference? If paying cash I understand. But paying an extra what, 30 bucks a month for some stuff you actually might like to have, why not?

I'd get the side airbags, thats the only reason I got the IUP really.

And using the argument that "side airbags wern't a problem ( as far as cars not having them in the 60's ) is complete idiocy.

I've seen side airbags save lives several times. Try pulling a woman out of a car that had part of her skull collapsed by a bumper smashing the door pillar and hitting her head through the window. A side airbag will significantly reduce this impact, I've seen it.
Old 10/12/06, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

$400 for the IUP gets you MyColor, 2 dummy gauges, and a trip computer. I'm still not sure if it is worth it
Old 10/12/06, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
$400 for the IUP gets you MyColor, 2 dummy gauges, and a trip computer. I'm still not sure if it is worth it
And ya can't get side airbags without the IUP. I like the trip computer, and the MyColor is nice. If ya want em, get em.

400 bucks is chump change.
Old 10/12/06, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I loaded My '07 V6 with every option you can get on a Pony Package except for the Shaker 1000 and have never looked back since. I'm really loving the Comfort group heated seats now that it's getting colder. Sure makes the leather nice and cozy. it's like i'm driving my Mustang sitting in a big ol' leather recliner.

Order the options that will make YOU the most happy while driving your Mustang.
Old 10/12/06, 04:25 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,752 Likes on 2,037 Posts
It is a Lot Cheaper To Add what you want now then to try an add it Later! and Some Items are Next to Impossible to do after the Fact Such as the Padded Dash. Remember with an 07 you Have The TPMS to Deal with so if you Get 17" Wheels you will Need to get the Tire bands for 18"s if that is what you are going for. 20"s is Mute since you will need Bands anyway.The Factory 18" Polished Bullits look Great and you can always get wider tires down the Road. I just do not like the Idea of the Aftermarket Stereo's If the 1000 Sounds good enough for you These cars are so electrically dependant I just do not care for someone reengineering that stuff. I have the 1000 with Sirrus and it does a decent Job. BTMO
Old 10/12/06, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The more options you tack on, the heavier the car, and the slower it runs.
I don't think it will run THAT much slower due to a few extra pounds!!

Don't let that be an excuse not to get what you want.
Old 10/12/06, 04:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ipchay61
I'll tell you what my cousin told me when I was ordering my car. Get it exactly like you want it, otherwise you will never be satisfied. In the long run, its a lot easier to get over paying a bit more than it is wishing you would have chosen an option you don't have.
Chip in SC
I only bought exactly what I wanted.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Most folks are limited to options because of financial reasons, which is fine. Sounds like you don't fall into that catagory.

My advise? Don't cheese out from the luxuries of life.

Option it to the hilt!
There were options I didn't want.

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
You know, you're right about the pass seat. My wife rode shotgun in my new '07 today and she said she could hardly see over the dash.
The less my wife sees the better.

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Great advice, the hard part is figuring out exactly what it is that you want, at least for me it is.
It did take me a while to figure it out.
Old 10/12/06, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've narrowed it down to: GT Deluxe Coupe, Active Anti-Theft, All-weather floor mats, spoiler delete, and 3.55s. I wanted a stripped down GT Deluxe, but friends and family are convincing me to get some of the factory options. I was ready to go with the stock 3.31s, carpeted floor mats, and no active anti-theft. I'm trying to cheap out on the order as much as possible because all I need is the 300 hp V8 engine and the RWD transmission.
Old 10/12/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've narrowed it down to: GT Deluxe Coupe, Active Anti-Theft, All-weather floor mats, spoiler delete, and 3.55s. I wanted a stripped down GT Deluxe, but friends and family are convincing me to get some of the factory options. I was ready to go with the stock 3.31s, carpeted floor mats, and no active anti-theft. I'm trying to cheap out on the order as much as possible because all I need is the 300 hp V8 engine and the RWD transmission.
Why would anyone want 3.31's instead of 3.55's stock? Well I suppose if 4.10's are going in right away, but eh.
Old 10/12/06, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was actually going to keep the 3.31s for better gas mileage (no drag racing).
Old 10/12/06, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's only a difference of maybe 1 mpg. Honestly, yer buying a performance car and are wanting a stripped down max performance optioned car but won't even spring for the 3.55's?

Have ya looked at the V6?

Quick Reply: Do I really want to add options?