2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Discouraging News or Just a Sales Tactic?

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/05, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just got this email today, from one of the salesmen I've been dealing with at a local dealership. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this. I was planning on ordering a 'Stang on March 18th. I've also heard that dealerships would be accepting orders on Mustang GTs until late June. Now I don't know what to believe... Here's the email:

Chris,

I just wanted to give you a heads up. We had a meeting this morning, Ford is saying that they are about to hit their build limit for '05 GT's. We will be taking orders till close of business Saturday but on these orders we will not be able to guarantee they will be built. If Ford does not accept the order, customer will have the option to have a 2006 built for the same price but delivery may not be until the end of the year.

What gives? Is this true nationwide or is this just another sly sales tactic to pressure me into placing an order earlier than I intended?
Old 3/10/05, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hard to know if it's true or not, I would keep searching other dealer's. A bummer none the less! B)
Old 3/10/05, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why wait if you want an 05? I ordered 12-20 and am wondering if I will ever see the car since it is still c/u.
Old 3/10/05, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Some true, some not!

The '05 model year is starting wind down. There are only two more allocation periods - May build then June/July Balance-out.
April allocation was lower than expected.

The situation is not Ford reaching their limit, because they will keep building them in to the beginning of August. What is being said between the lines is that dealership is looking at their sold order bank compared to their anticipated allocation for the rest of the model year and coming to the conclusion that they are probably not going to get those built, let alone additional orders.

Besides, a dealer cannot "guarantee" build unless they have no or very few orders to be covered. Ford has not given allocation commitments beyond April build. You can search from dealer to dealer, but I would think the one that says "no problem" is the one giving you the line.
Old 3/11/05, 02:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mstang@March 11, 2005, 12:08 AM
Some true, some not!

The '05 model year is starting wind down. There are only two more allocation periods - May build then June/July Balance-out.
April allocation was lower than expected.

The situation is not Ford reaching their limit, because they will keep building them in to the beginning of August. What is being said between the lines is that dealership is looking at their sold order bank compared to their anticipated allocation for the rest of the model year and coming to the conclusion that they are probably not going to get those built, let alone additional orders.

Besides, a dealer cannot "guarantee" build unless they have no or very few orders to be covered. Ford has not given allocation commitments beyond April build. You can search from dealer to dealer, but I would think the one that says "no problem" is the one giving you the line.

Inventory control manager told me yesterday balance out is August 5th. No more 05's will be built after that date. :bang:
Old 3/11/05, 04:02 AM

Either way, sounds like what they're trying to tell you in a round about way is they can't guarantee delievery becuase Ford is so far behind on the orders.
Old 3/11/05, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

CelticCub,

We have been going through the wringer, I’m going to post details tonight but the short story is “Region and Allocations†and “Dealer Honestyâ€.

We had to cancel or local order and my wife tracked down a dealer 350 miles away that had allocation, our tri-state (PA, OH, & NY) area is dry!

Just make sure your dealer has allocation and is honest, get the VOC and DORA ASAP.

I’ll post more details tonight I’ve got to G E T.

Dan
Old 3/11/05, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

As always, TMS members come through again with helpful information! Thanks for your remarks. Always good to do a reality check with others in the same boat.

I was waiting until the worst Winter weather was over to order. That, and I thought the whole order process would be less problematic once the glut of orders were scheduled, the legal wrangling settled and the supplier woes alleviated. So much for procrastination, eh? It was a good plan... in theory!

I still want an '05, particularly because of the availability of Legend Lime. But I suppose an '06 would be alright. What's that Lime Gold like?

Again, thanks folks. I truly appreciate your input and I look forward to following up with y'all.
Old 3/11/05, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

The reason I got an 05' (and put up with all the "fun" of first year problems) is the Legend Lime....

...the lime gold appears (to me) to have more gold than lime...there was on post on here a couple of months back that had actual paint samples attached in .jpg form....I tried the search but couldn't find that exact thread...

Jay
Old 3/11/05, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

My dealership said that there wouldn't be any problems getting the GT Vert and V6 Coupe & Vert. But, they wouldn't even take orders for the GT coupe because at this point of the game they don't believe they would get one. Although they cited the total amount of GT's that will be built for the rest of the MY is less then the total orders in for the GT's.

If I was you I'd go in and order an 06 which should hopefully get you in the front of the line for a September build and one of the first 06's off the line
Old 3/11/05, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

All these posts make me nervous I might not get my car.
Old 3/11/05, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

I ordered a V-6 vert on 3/7 Got a VOC but never received a DORA will they send me one or do I need to ask forit? My Salesman saidit wasordered that night And he said thereis a confirmation order in my jacket. But when I call the robot lady with the info from my VOC I get there is no status . I thinks i'm screwed!
Old 3/11/05, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks again, folks. I'm an optimist by nature, and I sure didn't mean to arouse fears that pending orders would be canceled. I was just curious if I was being fed a line of bull by a zealous salesman!

Normally, I woudn't mind getting an '06, but I'm planning to move to California later this year and I was worried that my relocation would be an obstacle. The salesman even told me that the car could be drop-shipped to a California dealership, but I thought he was just blowing smoke!

And, I would definitely kick myself for passing on the chance to get a Legend Lime GT! B)
Old 3/11/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

My dealer said basically the same thing last week. He said that Ford would not be accepting "customer" orders for GT's after this week, only dealer orders for cars to go on the lot and that they would not garantee these to be built untill they (Ford) caught up on the existing orders in the system.
I asked if someone in the know could verify this, but I have not seen an "official" response yet.
At least my order is in, still C/U as of todays call to the robot lady
Jeff
Old 3/11/05, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustp51@March 11, 2005, 10:46 AM
My dealer said basically the same thing last week. He said that Ford would not be accepting "customer" orders for GT's after this week, only dealer orders for cars to go on the lot and that they would not garantee these to be built untill they (Ford) caught up on the existing orders in the system.
I asked if someone in the know could verify this, but I have not seen an "official" response yet.
At least my order is in, still C/U as of todays call to the robot lady
Jeff
There seems to be a trend with the rumors about limited GT order availability.
Old 3/11/05, 09:54 AM
FR500 Member

i ordered 1/18.......im the next in line to get pulled and im just waiting to hear it. there was someone who ordered 1/12 and was pulled but someone who ordered in december and is c/u. what a mess. im still thinking i might not even get my car
Old 3/11/05, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by elmo771@March 11, 2005, 9:27 AM
I ordered a V-6 vert on 3/7 Got a VOC but never received a DORA will they send me one or do I need to ask forit? My Salesman saidit wasordered that night And he said thereis a confirmation order in my jacket. But when I call the robot lady with the info from my VOC I get there is no status . I thinks i'm screwed!
You have to ask for a copy of the DORA. The DORA as I understand it is just a confirmation from Ford to the dealership that they received the order and it is formatted properly and accepted.

A lot of people have stated there is a different order number on their DORA form what was on the VOC. Once you have the DORA the ERL should give a C/U status. If not there could be a problem. Of course if the dealership doesn't have a DORA for you then it hasn't been submitted yet.
Old 3/11/05, 09:58 AM
V6 Member

I talked to Sales Manager at my dealer yesterday and he said that my order that I placed on 10/22/04 is scheduled to be built on the week of 3/21 with an unknown delivery date. He also mentioned that Ford's order backlog is currently > 35,000. A large portion of those are going to Canada though. He didn't say how many.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may want to wait until they start taking orders for 06's in May.
Old 3/11/05, 10:02 AM
FR500 Member

i ordered 1/18.......im the next in line to get pulled and im just waiting to hear it. there was someone who ordered 1/12 and was pulled but someone who ordered in december and is c/u. what a mess. im still thinking i might not even get my car
Old 3/11/05, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by KenW@March 11, 2005, 11:01 AM
I talked to Sales Manager at my dealer yesterday and he said that my order that I placed on 10/22/04 is scheduled to be built on the week of 3/21 with an unknown delivery date. He also mentioned that Ford's order backlog is currently > 35,000. A large portion of those are going to Canada though. He didn't say how many.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may want to wait until they start taking orders for 06's in May.
Sorry, no can do. There's no Sonic Blue for '06 so I'm going to order today and hope I get it by the end of July.

Quick Reply: Discouraging News or Just a Sales Tactic?