2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Discount Tire Scratched my rim!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/06, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discount Tire Scratched my rim!!!!

I got a flat this friday, put the spare on, and drove home. Saturday morning I take the wheel (18" polished bullit, 64W) to discount tire to have them change the tire. After waiting in the waiting room for over an hour, I ask what the status of my wheel is. The guy apparantly forgot about me, and hadnt even started on the wheel. I was pissed at this point for them waisting an hour of my life. Finally they get the tire off the rim, and take me out in the garage to show me that the hole in the tire is too close to the sidewall to be patched. Thats fine, but I looked at my wheel and its got an inch long gouge on the very outside lip from the tool they used to pry the tire off. The site of a scratch on my otherwise flawless, 2.5 month old polished bullit rim really raised my blood pressure at that point. I show it to the guy and he says he will send it off to a place that they use to refinish wheels. He swears it will look just like new when they are done with it.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? Is it impossible to mount and unmount tires on a rim withour scratching it? Do you think my wheel will be the same when I get it back? This sucks, especially since I have to drive around with the spare looking like a hillbilly.
Old 5/8/06, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did they give you some free tires in return?
Old 5/8/06, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I received a wheel from Discount Tire that was scratched upon arrival...took them 2 weeks to send me a new one and then they messed up the thread on one of the bolts that the lug screws onto. They still haven't fixed that yet...been driving around with just 4 lugs on a wheel for a while now.
Old 5/8/06, 10:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Discount Tire aka America's Tire Company is really good here where I live and have treated me like a King. I'm sure that they will make it right for you, but it's still a pisser for sure!
Old 5/9/06, 07:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
They may be able to tool out that gouge, but what about the clearcoat?
Old 5/9/06, 09:43 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, has happened to me a few times. Not surprised considering the process to install the tires is using a metal bar against a softer metal surface. Which one do you think will win I just wish every place that installed tires on aluminum rims used the plastic sleeves on the prybars to help prevent damage. My rims recently were damaged when I was having the tires rotated on them. I definately was not impressed.
Old 5/9/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I should consider myslef very lucky, as I haven't had this issue yet on either of my vehicles (both with aluminum wheels).
Old 5/9/06, 06:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Tire shops,Body shops,etc. You have to do research and get to know who you are dealing with. Anyone can screw up. The trick is to find the guys who screw up the least and give you 110% satisfaction when they do.
My favorite tire shop is an old family business with very good equipment. The last set of truck tires I bought, I asked for 4 blackwalls and signed the deal with the owner's son (the "kid" is about my age... almost 50). He only had 3 tires left. I saw the old man chewing him out in the parking lot and then he came in and asked me if I wanted 4 white raised letter tires for the same price. I always go there to buy tires (after I check the prices on line).
Old 5/10/06, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

man im sorry to hear that..such bumholes. i guess i feel lucky i can do my own tires ..especially when i use this machine
Old 5/10/06, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
It does take some care in not scratching the wheel thats for sure.
Like was mentioned a plastic sleeve on the pry bar is a must!

I do my own tires and have actually scratched mine a tad. Nothing major.
Old 5/10/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about your rim.

Just wondering - how tough would it be to rotate my own tires (06 GT)?

I read somewhere you aren't supposed to jack using the rear differential. How would the average person get all four wheels off the ground?
Old 5/10/06, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by stangster
Sorry to hear about your rim.

Just wondering - how tough would it be to rotate my own tires (06 GT)?

I read somewhere you aren't supposed to jack using the rear differential. How would the average person get all four wheels off the ground?
By jacking up the rear differential (pumpkin). Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Old 5/10/06, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

This is my fear every time I have a problem with one of my tires. We all just have to make sure that we inspect before and after the work is done.
Old 5/10/06, 06:11 PM

My dad went to DT today to pick up the rim and brought it to my apt. so I didnt get a chance to look at it until then. I dont even think they tried to fix it, it looks exactly like it did on Saturday . Those ********. Bet they figured i wouldnt waste anymore of my time messing with them, and they're right. But next time i go in there, for pay back, Im going to put a gallon of that tire slim stuff in my tire so they get to deal with that nasty stuff when they take the tire off.

Originally Posted by JustFord0099
man im sorry to hear that..such bumholes. i guess i feel lucky i can do my own tires ..especially when i use this machine
http://www.sullivantire.com/xcessori.../corghi_03.jpg
How much does one of those machines cost, might be a good investment.
Old 5/10/06, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
By jacking up the rear differential (pumpkin). Don't believe everything you read or hear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_7265.jpg

I do everything i can to avoid this, as it stresses the differential, axle tubes, axle tube to pumpkin welds, etc in ways they are not designed for. Basically, your putting huge bending moments on the whole rear end by supporting it in the midle, while the weight of the car is at either end (springs). It bows the rear end ever so slightly.

This is how I recomend jacking the rear of the car up:

A. Use two jacks, one on each end.

OR if you dont need weight off the rear tires, back up a set of ramps.
Old 5/10/06, 08:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TTU4.6
I do everything i can to avoid this, as it stresses the differential, axle tubes, axle tube to pumpkin welds, etc in ways they are not designed for. Basically, your putting huge bending moments on the whole rear end by supporting it in the midle, while the weight of the car is at either end (springs). It bows the rear end ever so slightly.

This is how I recomend jacking the rear of the car up:

A. Use two jacks, one on each end.

OR if you dont need weight off the rear tires, back up a set of ramps.
I've got 6 jacks and 2 jackstands. Thank you for your support.
Old 5/10/06, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

My dad went to DT today to pick up the rim and brought it to my apt. so I didnt get a chance to look at it until then. I dont even think they tried to fix it, it looks exactly like it did on Saturday . Those ********. Bet they figured i wouldnt waste anymore of my time messing with them, and they're right. But next time i go in there, for pay back, Im going to put a gallon of that tire slim stuff in my tire so they get to deal with that nasty stuff when they take the tire off.

How much does one of those machines cost, might be a good investment.
only about $13,000
Old 5/10/06, 09:32 PM

In theory, you may be correct about the 'ever so slight' stress, but can you tell me when the last time you saw or heard of a differential being damaged by jacking from the pumpkin (not including damage to the differential cover from improper jack positioning)?

The 'by the book' way says not to lift from the differential. But, go tell that to all the enthusiasts and mechanics who have been doing that for decades.

Basically, it boils down to this, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't.
Old 5/10/06, 09:38 PM
GTR Member

If that stresses the diff, then I hate to see what speed bumps, potholes, railroad tracks, etc, do. The axle housing can take it + a whole lot more.
Old 5/11/06, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
If that stresses the diff, then I hate to see what speed bumps, potholes, railroad tracks, etc, do. The axle housing can take it + a whole lot more.
Sorry, I dont think you grasp how the rear axle is loaded under driving conditions. None of that stuff you listed loads the axle in the same way as jacking the car up under the pumpkin.

Probably 99% of the time you can get away with this without hurting anything. Im just **** about my car and do everything the hard way.

Quick Reply: Discount Tire Scratched my rim!!!!