2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/04, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I was in the market for a 05 V6 till this weekend, when I finally got the opportunity to drive it. First, I’ll say that fit and finish is very good. But there were three huge problems with the car that for me were deal breakers. The first is that the steering wheel is so far away. I really had to reach for it. That’s kind of a big deal if you cruise on the hwy for several hours, and have no way of just leaning your elbow on the armrest. Secondly, and I think most importantly, the seating position puts the side view mirrors directly in your field of vision. That coupled with the fact that they are 2-3 times the size of the mirrors on its predecessor makes them an obstacle. I found them to be right in my line of sight when negotiating a right turn into traffic. I actually had to move around a bit so I could see around them. Personally, I think that was a huge design flaw from Ford, from a safety point of view. Lastly, the V6 was weak. My stock 86 GT with 220k miles on it could easily hand it its azz, and my car's tired. Any stock maxima would absolutely smoke it. Personally, I would feel ashamed to have a stock family sedan smoke my sports car.

Maybe I’m the only one here that feels this way, but I’m hugely disappointed. Anyway, no flames please. I’m just expressing my opinion as objectively as possible.
Old 10/25/04, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, but the v6 isn't a sports car.

Also It just sounds like your a bit small for the car, no offense intended, thats just the impression I get.
Old 10/25/04, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude! Maybe you should have asked for a booster seat. :drive:
Old 10/25/04, 10:41 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Rakshas@October 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but the v6 isn't a sports car.

Also It just sounds like your a bit small for the car, no offense intended, thats just the impression I get.
The V6 is for folks who want a sporty "feel"... but not sporty numbers.

Also, that particular V6 dates back to the Cologne 2.0 V6 of the early 1960's... they basically just doubled the displacement and replaced the pushrods with an overhead cam.

What I wouldn't give to see Ford slap a Barra 182 (the 245hp, 280lb/ft, aluminum-block, 24v, DOHC inline-6 in Ford Australia's Falcon) in the new 'stang...

Even the Duratech 35 (3.5L V6 based on the current 3.0, likely good for about 260hp with i-VVT) would be a major step in the right direction.

Imagine either of them with dual variable valve timing (for both intake and exhaust)...
Old 10/25/04, 11:02 PM
GT Member

While I understand your concerns. I sat in one. And didn't find the steering wheel to far away. Nor did I find the mirrors to be in my line of sight. But I am 6'2 so maybe that is a factor.
Old 10/25/04, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Besides dude, I am short like 5'4 & still ride with my seats like 2 clicks away from the rear in my 03. I STILL can't really rest my elbow on the armrest. So, that's not a deal breaker for me nor is the sterring wheel being too far away. I totalled an 02 last year (sept 11) & had I been closer to the sterring wheel I would have probably been injured by the airbag. As it was I walked away without a scratch.

My mother is approx 5'2 5'1 & she sits way closer to the steering wheel. My aunt who is taller than me sits right on the steering wheel. If they ever have a wreck & the airbag pops out they will be lucky if it doesn't break their necks.

So, I had rather sit father away from the steering wheel & have to actually reach for it alittle than to sit right on top it with it in my lap. But to each their own.

And as much as I hate to admitt it Rakshas is sort of right. A V6 is a sports car it's just not meant to be taken to the track, or raced against something stock with more horsepower. And with all due respect, but my best friend owns a stock Maxima & I totally doubt that she could STOMP me in my V6.
Old 10/26/04, 12:54 AM
Cobra Member

That Maxima V6 also costs about as much as the Mustang GT.

It stinks that you were disappointed, but it's your money and your decision. Maybe in a few months you'll be disappointed that you DIDN'T get one after seeing how great they look on the road. Or even maybe after seeing the taillights of a V6 when you race one in your '86 GT. :drive:

It does sound a little funny that the side mirrors were a visibility problem for you. I'm not pickin' on you, but I've just never heard that be an issue before... ever... even with the super huge mirrors on dually pickups.

To each his own. Not everyone's gonna like 'em.
Old 10/26/04, 12:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by grabbergreen@October 26, 2004, 12:44 AM
Also, that particular V6 dates back to the Cologne 2.0 V6 of the early 1960's... they basically just doubled the displacement and replaced the pushrods with an overhead cam.
That's not necessarily true. The SOHC 4.0L came out in 2001 for the Ranger as a pretty much new engine. It replaced the OHV 4.0L they used from I believe '91-'00. And the difference between those two engines is pretty big. It's not simply a matter of a new cam and added displacement.
Old 10/26/04, 04:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As the New V6 has the same power as your 5.0 V8, the performance shouldn't be that different........ as you stated you had to reach for the steering wheel, are you sure you were managing to push the pedel right to the floor??
Old 10/26/04, 04:50 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Last thing on my mind was the armrest.
I don't think its there as something functional like a luxury car. Who cares about cruising along when you are in a MUSTANG!!!??!! I thought the armrest was set a little high in regards to the seat to rest comfy anyhow.

I did notice you sit awfully low in the car though. I liked it.A lot. The children enjoyed the way the back seats were fitted, I find it has a whole ton more room than the 04s.

I am stone cold in love with this car, never ever has a car hit me like this one.
Old 10/26/04, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you ever think of moving the seat forward so you can reach the sterring wheel?
Old 10/26/04, 06:11 AM

Man, your supposed to sit in the FRONT seat
Old 10/26/04, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by jman@October 26, 2004, 12:27 AM
Secondly, and I think most importantly, the seating position puts the side view mirrors directly in your field of vision.
Side view mirrors in your field of vision? Hmmm. . .

Maybe it's just me, but I believe the mirrors are SUPPOSED to be in your field of vision - you know, so you can see them. :scratch:

If you can see the mirrors, then you can see what is reflected in them; yup, I am pretty sure that is what Ford had in mind.

Two or three times bigger than previous model's mirrors? Uh, no. The '05 mirrors are bigger, but certainly not two or three times bigger.

I respect the fact you do not have a preference for the Mustang; that's fine. But some of your complaints, on the surface, seem, well, odd.
Old 10/26/04, 06:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you adjust the seat properly? I just don't understand how you could not reach the steering wheel properly. Last time I checked if you are looking at the side view mirrors of course you can't see what is on the other side of them
Old 10/26/04, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kerafaith@October 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
Besides dude, I am short like 5'4 & still ride with my seats like 2 clicks away from the rear in my 03. I STILL can't really rest my elbow on the armrest. So, that's not a deal breaker for me nor is the sterring wheel being too far away. I totalled an 02 last year (sept 11) & had I been closer to the sterring wheel I would have probably been injured by the airbag. As it was I walked away without a scratch.

My mother is approx 5'2 5'1 & she sits way closer to the steering wheel. My aunt who is taller than me sits right on the steering wheel. If they ever have a wreck & the airbag pops out they will be lucky if it doesn't break their necks.

So, I had rather sit father away from the steering wheel & have to actually reach for it alittle than to sit right on top it with it in my lap. But to each their own.

And as much as I hate to admitt it Rakshas is sort of right. A V6 is a sports car it's just not meant to be taken to the track, or raced against something stock with more horsepower. And with all due respect, but my best friend owns a stock Maxima & I totally doubt that she could STOMP me in my V6.
The Maxima is a tough car to compare with. Nissan has a glorious V-6 that has been named in the top 10 engine list like 10 years running. A Maxima is what caused me to want to sell my '97 GT convertible. I was barely able to handle that car with it. They are about the strongest V-6 on the market. Generally speaking, at this point, no Ford or GM V-6 will handle that Nissan. We'll just get our ( ) ( ) handed to us. I can't however speak to this generation V-6 because I haven't driven the car. I would have to think though that it's got to be the best 6 pin ever offered in a Mustang.

If you're that interested in NOT having your ( ) ( ) handed to you by several cars out there, you'd better save your money and buy a GT.
Old 10/27/04, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@October 26, 2004, 7:07 AM
The Maxima is a tough car to compare with. Nissan has a glorious V-6 that has been named in the top 10 engine list like 10 years running. A Maxima is what caused me to want to sell my '97 GT convertible. I was barely able to handle that car with it. They are about the strongest V-6 on the market. Generally speaking, at this point, no Ford or GM V-6 will handle that Nissan. We'll just get our ( ) ( ) handed to us. I can't however speak to this generation V-6 because I haven't driven the car. I would have to think though that it's got to be the best 6 pin ever offered in a Mustang.

If you're that interested in NOT having your ( ) ( ) handed to you by several cars out there, you'd better save your money and buy a GT.
Nissan's V6 is definitely a nice engine. Would be even nicer if it could run smoothly on regular unleaded, like all of Ford's, GM's, and some of Chrysler's can...

Also take into account the overseas Ford offerings. See my post above where I mention Ford's Barra 182.

Also keep in mind that Ford is reworking a number of engines as we speak. They are working on the Duratech 35, a 3.5L version of the current Duratech 30. This motor, with variable intake valve timing, could potentially be as strong as Nissan's or Honda's... and run smoothly on 87 octane petrol. THAT would be cool.
Old 10/27/04, 05:08 PM
FR500 Member

im not too big of a person.........5'6 180 and i fit perfectly
Old 10/27/04, 05:51 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each his own, I personally loved the car when I sat in it
Old 10/27/04, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

The seats have a cool height adjustment feature as well.
Old 10/27/04, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@October 26, 2004, 4:19 AM
As the New V6 has the same power as your 5.0 V8, the performance shouldn't be that different........ as you stated you had to reach for the steering wheel, are you sure you were managing to push the pedel right to the floor??
While the peak HP is similar, the 4.0 V6 is not going to move a heavier car like the '05 nearly as fast as the 5.0 V8 moved a Fox. You have to consider torque and the hp/torque curves of the engines as well as weight of the vehicles.

Quick Reply: disappointed