2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Difference between V6 & GT leather???

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/06, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Difference between V6 & GT leather???

As much as I complained about leather seats, and how much I more I liked cloth because it held me in the seat better, and how it didn't wrinkle and crack over time, I'm considering putting some take-off leather seats in the car.

1. My cloth is permantly stained. I have no idea what caused the stains so it wasn't like it was a major spill. Tried everything I know to get them out and can't. (THAT REALLY P!SSES ME OFF!)
2. The one thing I've always liked better about the leather is it looks more retro than the cloth. Like the '60's vinyl seats.

Oh yeah, the original question...
Since I'm planning on buying take-off covers, I want to find out if there are any differences between the V6 and GT leather seats. If so, what? I want to make sure I ask the right questions before I buy a set.
Old 10/25/06, 06:29 PM

Just checked out the timeline for pics. Yes, I should've looked there first.
I see there is a lot of difference between the two. Sorry to start an extra thread for no reason. Well, maybe someone will talk me out of it and save me $300. (or talk me into it and I'll order them today. )
Old 10/25/06, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There really is no difference between the V6 and GT leather except for the perforations.

The only change you get in style is between the "buckets" and "sport buckets." The Pony Package comes standard with the "Verona Grain" leather "buckets". These leather seats have the flat leather panels on the seat and backrest. The flat panels are more likely to get wrinkles or stretch.

The "sport buckets" have the pleated "Aberdeen Embossed" leather on the seat and back rest. This is what all of the leather GTs have and some V6 with premier trim.

For preference I'd go with the Aberdeen Embossed leather seats. Go with leather. With a good waterproofing conditioner on it you should never have to worry about stains. Well, unless you get Dove, Parchment or Chamois.

Old 10/25/06, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford Screwed up, and sent my passanger seat as a V6 leather. See the attached pic for pics of both. (I knew that screwup would come in handy... now I can show you the 2 up close in 1 pic)
Attached Thumbnails Difference between V6 & GT leather???-resizedinterior.jpg  
Old 10/25/06, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
There really is no difference between the V6 and GT leather except for the perforations.

The only change you get in style is between the "buckets" and "sport buckets." The Pony Package comes standard with the "Verona Grain" leather "buckets". These leather seats have the flat leather panels on the seat and backrest. The flat panels are more likely to get wrinkles or stretch.

The "sport buckets" have the pleated "Aberdeen Embossed" leather on the seat and back rest. This is what all of the leather GTs have and some V6 with premier trim.

For preference I'd go with the Aberdeen Embossed leather seats. Go with leather. With a good waterproofing conditioner on it you should never have to worry about stains. Well, unless you get Dove, Parchment or Chamois.

Not really worried about stains with the leather which is one of the 2 main reasons I decided to swap. Just have to remember not to leave an uncapped Sharpie in my back pocket.

I had tan leather in my '03 GT and didn't like it very much. Hopefully, the new seats will be better. Like you said, the peforations will help with the wrinkling, but I think most of the wrinkles happen on the sides where there aren't any.
Old 10/25/06, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
Ford Screwed up, and sent my passanger seat as a V6 leather. See the attached pic for pics of both. (I knew that screwup would come in handy... now I can show you the 2 up close in 1 pic)
Hey, Ronny, I remember that pic! Hope it all got worked out in the end. I'm sure plenty of people at Ford got a kick out of that.
Thanks for the pic.
Old 10/25/06, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
Just have to remember not to leave an uncapped Sharpie in my back pocket.
Doh! that sucks. I guess getting sharpie all over my new jeans isn't so bad any more. I remember seeing a site that has leather takeoffs from GTs, but I can't seem to find it.

Ford Screwed up, and sent my passanger seat as a V6 leather.
Wow! that is nuts. I wonder if there is a sister car floating around with a V6 driver seat and a GT passenger.
Old 10/25/06, 08:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The GT leather looks more 'retro' if that's the look you want... (IMO).
Old 10/25/06, 08:22 PM

Steve,
I know where I can get some at a good price. i just want to make sure they're GT & not V6.

OCD,
I agree about the retro look. It's the same reason I got my wood steering wheel: It reminds me of my '65 fastback.
Old 10/25/06, 08:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my younger days,I never had enough money to get leather. It was always cloth.Now I can afford it and I love the leather..it just seems like it adds a touch of class to your car. Now those fake pleather ones in the back..thats a different story.
Old 10/25/06, 08:59 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't tell the difference between the front leather and rear pleather w/ the ICAP.
Old 10/26/06, 01:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just replaced my cloth V6 seats with a GT take off leather set and boy does it look great. Really looks great with the top down. Some tips - don't be discouraged when you unpack the covers from their box and see they are all wrinkled, set them out in the sunlight and all will be fine. Mine were really wrinkled, especially the back seat lower cover, and an hour in the sun and it looked good as new. Also the headrests have grommets around the supports that insert into the seat back; the way to remove those is to take the seatback off the front buckets and look up inside towards the top of the seat, you'll see the two grommets up there and all you do is squeeze the base of the grommet together and they'll come out of the seat back. Also this is important; make sure you press the velcro part of the seat covers firmly into place *first* before securing the sides, this will insure your seat covers are anchored well into the folds of the seat cushions. I didn't do this on my back seat lower cover and as a result, it's a little loose. It's not hard to correct but now I have to pull it out and take it back apart partially...just inconvenient and a bit of a pain in the rear. Oh be careful with the hog rings as well, they are attached to a rod that is mounted in the foam support cushions in the front seat bottoms, and if you pull too hard on them you can rip that support rod out of the foam. A pair of needle nose pliers and/or needle nose vice grips work well. Hope this helps.
Old 10/26/06, 01:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Here's a couple of pics of how mine turned out:

Old 10/26/06, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

If you're going to be changing out an an interior yourself, I recommend purchasing a set of hog ring pliers. It really saves time and makes installation of the covers much easier. Also, to remove the rings I cut them with a pair of wire cutters.
Old 10/26/06, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
The GT leather looks more 'retro' if that's the look you want... (IMO).
+1. Go with the GT...
Old 10/26/06, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, Ronny, I remember that pic! Hope it all got worked out in the end. I'm sure plenty of people at Ford got a kick out of that.
Thanks for the pic.
The dealer ordered a new cover for it. Of course, it was back ordered, and took almost 2 months to get here. However, now, everything looks as good as new.
Old 10/26/06, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless the Mustang GT has cooled leather seats, I'm going to skip the leather option.
Old 10/26/06, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

There are currently some dark charcoal GT leather take offs on Ebay for about $230. That is a great price considering the seat cushion cover for one seat is more than that wholesale.
Old 10/26/06, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jay_wx
I just replaced my cloth V6 seats with a GT take off leather set and boy does it look great. Really looks great with the top down. Some tips - don't be discouraged when you unpack the covers from their box and see they are all wrinkled, set them out in the sunlight and all will be fine. Mine were really wrinkled, especially the back seat lower cover, and an hour in the sun and it looked good as new. Also the headrests have grommets around the supports that insert into the seat back; the way to remove those is to take the seatback off the front buckets and look up inside towards the top of the seat, you'll see the two grommets up there and all you do is squeeze the base of the grommet together and they'll come out of the seat back. Also this is important; make sure you press the velcro part of the seat covers firmly into place *first* before securing the sides, this will insure your seat covers are anchored well into the folds of the seat cushions. I didn't do this on my back seat lower cover and as a result, it's a little loose. It's not hard to correct but now I have to pull it out and take it back apart partially...just inconvenient and a bit of a pain in the rear. Oh be careful with the hog rings as well, they are attached to a rod that is mounted in the foam support cushions in the front seat bottoms, and if you pull too hard on them you can rip that support rod out of the foam. A pair of needle nose pliers and/or needle nose vice grips work well. Hope this helps.
Great write-up, Jay. I'll be sure to come back to it if/when I get the seats.
Do you mind me asking where you got yours and how much they were? (with shipping)
Old 10/27/06, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Great write-up, Jay. I'll be sure to come back to it if/when I get the seats.
Do you mind me asking where you got yours and how much they were? (with shipping)
Glad I could help...I got mine off of ebay, from Diversified Marketing. They were $314 shipped, and they include the foam upper seat backs with the leather already on them. I'd recommend getting the hog ring pliers as was posted above...it can be done with needle nose pliers but the hog ring pliers would probably make things alot easier.

Quick Reply: Difference between V6 & GT leather???