2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately need help with weird problem.

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/17, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Desperately need help with weird problem.

I have a 2006 GT Vert and I drove it this past Sunday without a problem. But when I went to drive it tonight the car shut off when I turned on the headlights. It also turned off if I turn on the hazard lights or just the signal lights. When I press the horn the engine stumbles. I checked the engine bay to see of something was loose but I couldn't find anything. When I press the panic button the tail lights blink, no horn sound but I did notice the a/c clutch engage. It sounded like a clap and I could see the clutch plate go in.

Someone please help before I tear apart the wiring looking for a Gremlin.
Old 3/1/17, 05:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
A lot of electrical gremlins like this are related to the SJB getting wet. Pull the passenger kick panel off and lift the carpet up to see if you have water in that area.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05YellowGT:
Buckshot Barry (3/1/17), Gigantor (3/1/17)
Old 3/1/17, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the reply.

I drove it on Sunday no problem. I've kept it under a water resistant cover and there was no rain from Sunday to Tuesday. I tried the panic button this morning and I heard the horn and saw the front turn signals blink like they're supposed to do but last night only the rear lights would blink and no front lights or horns so that leads me to believe it has something to do with the lights, maybe?

All comments or ideas are welcome even the ones where I need to change my blinker fluid. I could use a laugh after spending 5k to supercharge her.

Signed,
Depressed
Old 3/1/17, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Lights are controlled by the SJB. That along with your alarm issues leads me to believe that it is the SJB. It might not have gotten wet recently but if it has happened in the past it may have taken some time for the corrosion to start affecting systems. I would pull it out and check it.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (3/1/17)
Old 3/1/17, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Lights are controlled by the SJB. That along with your alarm issues leads me to believe that it is the SJB. It might not have gotten wet recently but if it has happened in the past it may have taken some time for the corrosion to start affecting systems. I would pull it out and check it.
Maybe not, I have had water on the floor boards but the SJB has never been wet or that area. When I get home today I'm gonna get underneath and look at the ground connections. A tech told me there located under the power steering pump.
Old 3/1/17, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok this thing is crazy. I got home and immediately went to work on the problem. First I pressed the panic button and the horns, lights, and headlights were flashing which is normal but it wasn't doing that last night. I turned on the car and it started right up, even turned on the headlights and it didn't shut the car off. Seems like the problem disappeared or fixed itself. Which is surprising since we had torrential down pours all day.
Old 3/1/17, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Aside from maybe a bad ground that might be jiggling loose from time to time, I'm inclined to think this is likely SJB related. Unfortunately, SJB issues are popping up more and more lately.
Old 3/3/17, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Maybe not, I have had water on the floor boards but the SJB has never been wet or that area. When I get home today I'm gonna get underneath and look at the ground connections. A tech told me there located under the power steering pump.
Well the water on the floorboards ran down inside the panel where the sjb is located. It might not have been wet when you checked it, but if the floor boards had water, the sjb got wet.
Old 3/8/17, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't done anything to fix my problem but it seems that it went away. Took her out this evening and nothing not one hiccup. Everything was fine. The floor board hasn't been wet in over a year since I fixed the leaks and keep it under a water repellent cover. I'm not going to sweat it until it happens again.
Old 3/9/17, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
A) If it went away, it can come back just as easy;
B) It's totally haunted.
A) That's exactly what happened when my wife left me. I should've known better and moved before she came to her senses. Funny how the problem started when I was going to take my wife for a ride, and disappeared the next morning.

B) Ha Ha! It's haunted by the ghosts of cars past.
Old 3/10/17, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Its A sign...Maybe .... you shouldn't...
Old 3/10/17, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, i has been many mercedes cars and lot of times electrical problems first try charge battery, most of times this is solution..