2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Defective Shaker - Follow UP

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/05, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to get a replacement shaker 500 unit. (While I replaced my head unit, I want to tidy up loose ends; and either have a working unit for the future or resell. I told the service department to put people who need the unit ahead of me.)

I took delivery of my car the first week of November. A week later the cd's started to get spit out of the unit for read errors, and I advised my dealer of the defect. They said they put an order in for replacement. The dealer says that Ford has not produced the new replacement units..... and it is difficult to get replacements on a new car. It is going on 3 months.

What are other people's experience in terms of getting this fixed?
Old 2/1/05, 10:41 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lwing18@February 1, 2005, 11:42 AM
I am looking to get a replacement shaker 500 unit. (While I replaced my head unit, I want to tidy up loose ends; and either have a working unit for the future or resell. I told the service department to put people who need the unit ahead of me.)

I took delivery of my car the first week of November. A week later the cd's started to get spit out of the unit for read errors, and I advised my dealer of the defect. They said they put an order in for replacement. The dealer says that Ford has not produced the new replacement units..... and it is difficult to get replacements on a new car. It is going on 3 months.

I am waiting to hear about this as well. My brother's and my cars both have the skipping prob and an OCCASIONAL bad disc message. I KNOW someone on here got a replacement unit that then needed some kind of reprogramming - and as of that point, functioned fine....
Old 2/1/05, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

It's a well known problem. Go aftermarket or wait for Ford to fix it. Just tell your dealership to report it, more reports they get the higher priority it will get most likely.
Old 2/1/05, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by lwing18@February 1, 2005, 1:42 PM

3 months???? something is def wrong! I had the problem, took mine to the ford dealer, got me a replacement unit within a week! i'd check ur dealer again or go talk to another dealer cause something is not right, unless they came across a problem with the shaker units within the time period I've had the new unit. But I've only had the unit for about a month.
Old 2/1/05, 01:51 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have had a replacement on order for 2 weeks now, going on 3. I was told it was going to be 6-8 weeks before they got it in, and I had people ahead of me wanting theirs replaced.....
Ford apparently is aware of the problem.
Old 2/1/05, 01:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to get mine replaced as well. If it is going to take that long to get one I guess I'd better go to the dealer tomorrow so they can fix it before summer gets here.
Old 2/1/05, 02:03 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 1, 2005, 4:00 PM
I need to get mine replaced as well. If it is going to take that long to get one I guess I'd better go to the dealer tomorrow so they can fix it before summer gets here.
Get thee in line behind me!

I want my shaker, I paid for it- so unless Fords gonna stick me a free aftermarket in- a working shaker I want.......
Old 2/1/05, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I got lucky, a local audio store had a shaker 1000 head unit new in stock when mine broke and my dealer got it.

We have no clue why they had it, other than maybe they heard about all the defective units.
Old 2/1/05, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've had those problems with my S500 as well. Dealer replaced the entire unit - no problems with getting one - but the CD problems still exists. I'll let them know tomorrow. Basic fix is an entirely new design.
Old 2/1/05, 03:15 PM

I had my original Shaker500 replaced, unfortunately the new unit had the very same issues with skipping and not properly playing burned cd's. Took it in 2 weeks ago, Ford service called a tech. to help reprogram the unit...left the dealership...same problems. I contacted the owner of my dealership to try to get to the bottom of this, yet he connected me back to the service department. I refuse to waste another day at the dealership, until they(Ford) gets to the bottom of this. I love my GT, but I would like to be able to listen to my music flawlessly. Yes, I could go aftermarket, but why? I don't need more power, with a 5 disc changer and the 'ability' to play mp3 discs, I would have everything that I need for my purposes.