2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 05:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I just got back from the local dealer, (Rotten) Apple Ford in Columbia, MD. I decided to (try) to get my fuel tank replaced. I pulled into the service center explained the (common) problem of the pump shutting off and/or fuel spraying all over me while filling up. I even brought in this to help him understand the problem.

I was told that I would have to leave my car at their shop for 4-5 days so they can diagnose the problem. I asked why they had to do this and if they had a fuel pump in they garage. They do not have a fuel pump, how are they planning on recreating the problem? Is the fuel tank going to talk to them and say "hey, guys, I just can't stand the flavor gas some times." Can someone explain to me why they would need my car for 4-5 days to diagnose this problem and how they might plan on doing so?

Needless to say I am very ticked off right now , the TSB is out there, it is a known problem, I showed him the write up about the problem, but yet they still want to keep my car for the better half of a week! Why would I arbitrarily walk into the service center and ask for a new tank if there was nothing wrong with mine? I'm tired of going into work or to a customer’s site smelling like unleaded fuel.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about having this problem resolved without leaving my car at the dealer for so long? Unfortunately I cannot take it to the dealer I purchased it from as I did so in Pittsburgh and I now live in Maryland :bang:. I love my dealer in Pittsburgh, they bent over backwards for me. Looks like I'll be calling Ford tomorrow.

What ever happened to customer service? A big :notnice: :notnice: for (Rotten) Apple Ford.
Old 4/7/05, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Sounds like they are one of those dealers that don't like to service cars that they don't sell. Columbia is a pretty large area. I'm sure they aren't the only Ford dealer. I'd start looking elsewhere.
Old 4/7/05, 05:34 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes no sense. I pulled up, told them about it and they ordered a tank. Tank came in, I dropped off my car, they called me 3 hours later and said my car was ready to be picked up. Is there another dealer in your area? A 1 hour drive may be worth your time to have it fixed the same day.
Old 4/7/05, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Apple Ford has always had a bad reputation around here, try another dealership, maybe Towson Ford.
Old 4/7/05, 05:57 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some dealers are more compotent than others, that's for sure
Old 4/7/05, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I had to wait a week. But they had to order the tank (was not in stock.)
They trated me quite good, though. They let me upgrade the loaner for a brand new Expedition for $5 dollars/day.
Old 4/7/05, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

They need the 4 to 5 days to "test drive" your car. Make sure the suspension/engine/brakes/tires hold up at speeds in excess of 120+. You know... just to be safe.
Old 4/7/05, 07:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by adrenalin+April 7, 2005, 6:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ April 7, 2005, 6:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Makes no sense. I pulled up, told them about it and they ordered a tank. Tank came in, I dropped off my car, they called me 3 hours later and said my car was ready to be picked up. Is there another dealer in your area? A 1 hour drive may be worth your time to have it fixed the same day.
[/b]

No kidding, I thought to myself this guy must think I dumb if he wants me to leave my car here for 4-5 days. I'll definitely be driving a few extra miles for better service. And to think (Rotten) Apple Ford is Blue Oval Certified.

Originally posted by Nichole@April 7, 2005, 6:40 PM
Apple Ford has always had a bad reputation around here, try another dealership, maybe Towson Ford.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try them next... I have a whole list of Ford dealers printed up.

<!--QuoteBegin-psychen6
@April 7, 2005, 8:05 PM
I had to wait a week. But they had to order the tank (was not in stock.)
They trated me quite good, though. They let me upgrade the loaner for a brand new Expedition for $5 dollars/day.
[/quote]

This place doesn't even offer a loaner. I asked and they said "nope." Talk about top notch service
Old 4/7/05, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man that really sounds like dealer laced BS to me too. I am in the process of having my gas tank & Shaker replaced. I took it in on Tuesday & they took about 2 hours to check it out (even though I told them what was wrong). They said it would be a week to get the parts & so I have to have it back down there next Friday to have them installed.

I would defiently look into another dealership. Good luck eitherway.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 4/7/05, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

KERA---so sorry to hear you have the gas tank filler AND the Shaker problem. Mine was built the same week (if not the same day) as yours, and I don't have either.

I do have the front strut mount bearing / popping, clunking sound problem. And, this afternoon I discovered an unstitched seam in the lower seat back on the rear passenger side seat.

Otherwise, all is good.

Again, sorry to read about your plight. Especially afte you waited soooooo long for the car to come in.
Old 4/7/05, 11:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

MIKE ~ Thanks. It's really no big deal. Thanks to this board I was totally expecting it. Besides with it being the new model I knew also to expect a few minor problems. I really don't mind though, just as long as I don't have the numerious problems that I had with the 03. Besides I had rather find them & get them fixed now than wait & have the car 6 months or longer & then discover them.

BTW Congrat on the problem free Stang. I hope that your car continues to be problem free. Those problem free 05's seem to be an extreme rearity. Anyway. Thanks again.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 4/7/05, 11:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Chris.....I've heard of alot of people having the pump cutting off when fueling, but I think you are the first that I recall hearing anything about getting fuel sprayed all over themselves. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that have no fueling problems at all......at least the first 3,700 miles anyway.
Old 4/8/05, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Apple Ford huh. I've heard that name before. They are the dealership trying to get $25,000 OVER MSRP for the GT500 out next year. They are plain SORRY :notnice: I can't see how they stay in business acting the way they do. You'd have to be a fool to deal with GREEDY IDIOTS like them. Take your business elsewhere
Old 4/8/05, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

So, whats the deal with the gas tank? I got sprayed twice, but thought it was just me
Old 4/8/05, 04:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@April 8, 2005, 3:48 PM
So, whats the deal with the gas tank? I got sprayed twice, but thought it was just me
Join the club!
There is a TSB out on this problem. The solution is simple (provided you take it to a good dealer), just have the gas tank replaced. According to other members here, it'll take a week for the tank to come in and a few hours to have it installed. This problem IS covered under warranty.
Old 4/8/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pittperson+April 8, 2005, 3:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ April 8, 2005, 3:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-southern_stang_girlee@April 8, 2005, 3:48 PM
Join the club!
There is a TSB out on this problem. The solution is simple (provided you take it to a good dealer), just have the gas tank replaced. According to other members here, it'll take a week for the tank to come in and a few hours to have it installed. This problem IS covered under warranty.
[/b][/quote]

My Flowmaster kit was on back order for a week. A girl named Melissa Kilstrom sent me a nice denim cap and some other freebies for having to wait. Maybe she will do the same for you. BTW, the Flows sound awesome!!!
Old 4/8/05, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by pittperson+April 8, 2005, 2:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ April 8, 2005, 2:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-southern_stang_girlee@April 8, 2005, 3:48 PM
Join the club!
[/b][/quote]
So what is different about the new tank from the old tank? I thought a tank was a tank....was a tank, but evidently not?
Old 4/8/05, 06:39 PM
Banned

I told my dealer about it over the phone, they ordered the tank, called me today, and I have an apt. next Thursday to have it put in. Hopefully it wont take mor then a day. They are also fixing the popping noise in the front end
Old 4/9/05, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I need to have my fuel tank replaced, too. I'm anxious to hear from those who've had it done if there were any troubles afterwards, and if it really solves the refueling problem.
Old 4/9/05, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

So what is different about the new tank from the old tank? rolleyes.gif I thought a tank was a tank....was a tank, but evidently not?
I believe the original tank has a ventilation issue, where the air does not escape correctly as you are filling up.The air is not displaced by the gad, and thus, it reports being "full" (it really is full...just not on gas...). The new gas tank has better ventilation.
(Of course, this is just my assumption. Take it with a grain of salt.)

Quick Reply: Dealer Rant