2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dead Battery Rears Ugly Head Again

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/04, 03:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I've read this topic before, there may indeed be something to this. I was dismissing it before, but this morning, I went out to drive the car for the first time in about 3 or 4 weeks (unsure of last drive) and this thing was completely DEAD. I mean not even a click when key was turned. I noticed that I did indeed leave the radar detector on, but come on. Radar detectors draw a very limited amount of current. I can't imagine that this is the reason for the problem. My '97 SVT would sit in the garage for months at a time without being started and I never had a dead battery with that car. There must be some system on these cars that draws quite a bit more juice during sit time than the previous models. Or?? These batteries are indeed a POS?

I was able to get a local garage to hold my credit card while I used his jump box to get her going. I'm going to go start her up again here in a few minutes just to be sure we're good to go. The radar is off this time. We shall see what happens.

:angry:
Old 12/31/04, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar detector will drain it. I left a radar on a new t-bird for a few weeks, and it killed it. I went to jump it with a brand new accord, and that wasn't even enough. I had to go get the vette to jump it. Then I had to drive it around the block a few times very slowly otherwise it would die.