2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
View Poll Results: Dead Battery vs options?
Dead battery w/out Shaker stereo
4.82%
Dead battery with Shaker 500
49.40%
Dead battery with Shaker 1000
6.02%
No battery issues WITH Shaker stereo
39.76%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Dead Battery? [Poll]

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/08, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 GT Shaker 500... Lost one battery. Replaced it on my own. If I leave the radio on when I shut the car off. The battery will die within a week. It has happened at least 6 times. My car is not a DD. Just on weekends. So it sits a lot. But the draw down comes fron the shaker not always shutting off.
Old 1/23/08, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do realize that these types of polls are basically meaningless? Most of the folks that will even look at this thread are people that have had battery problems. Plus, there is not an even distribution of Shaker vs Base stereo built and DEFINITELY not in the folks that come here.

Of course, I DO have the Shaker 500 AND my battery died after 2 1/2 years, so...
Old 1/23/08, 02:22 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shaker 500 and active antitheft. Battery died once, after sitting for about a week. The strange part of this is that the car sat for two months (my wife would fire it up occasionally) when I was in Central America with no problems. But then one day after sitting for less than seven, my car didn't fire, and it took a couple of door slams to realize that the windows were not working correctly. Took it to Ford with the TSB and they found nothing wrong with the bat--it's been over a year now and I've had no further issues.
Old 1/23/08, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06GT. Battery completely dead after sitting for 4 days in the garage. 14months/11K miles of ownership. Replaced under warranty. Use a Battery Tender Plus now (with dash power adapter).
Old 1/24/08, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
You do realize that these types of polls are basically meaningless? Most of the folks that will even look at this thread are people that have had battery problems. Plus, there is not an even distribution of Shaker vs Base stereo built and DEFINITELY not in the folks that come here.

Of course, I DO have the Shaker 500 AND my battery died after 2 1/2 years, so...
It's not completely pointless. It's simply meant to help determine if these issues are related. And if you notice the poll results, it's a 50/50 split for dead battery or not.

I'm just trying to help other people figure out a common cause for this... It's not normal for a battery to die that quickly, and it appears that the Shaker stereo could have something to do with it.
Old 1/24/08, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Not completely, no. That's why I said "basically meaningless"

The problem is that they are self selected. Go look at a Presidential pole on Rush Limbaugh's web side and you would KNOW that a conservative Republican was going to win the Presidency, hands down. Look at a pole from an Air America show (are they still on the air?) and you would KNOW that a liberal Democrat was going to win, hands down.

So, the fact that there is a 50/50 split just doesn't mean much. About the only real data you can pull from this pole is that a very large majority of folks that visit this site have a Shaker 500/1000 stereo. Which, isn't really surprising given that this is an enthusiast web site and most enthusiasts will be willing to spend the money for a better stereo, unless they plan on replacing it from day one.

Personally, I think the problem is just that Ford was using a crappy battery with a short life. Given how much money they have been bleeding over the last few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see that they have been cutting corners REAL hard to try and cut the cost of there vehicles as much as possible.
Old 1/25/08, 01:05 AM

^Which is what I was essentially trying to find out. It was either the battery or the stereo based on a number of topics... And it certainly seems like there *could* be a relationship between the two... However, with the large number of "non-issue" people it looks like Ford simply wanted to save a few pennies and give us something "good enough"
Old 1/25/08, 10:58 PM
Cobra Member

Dangit Justin! Now I have to agree with you!!! That's not right!