2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Day 5 observations...

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/05, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tw0scoops123+September 1, 2005, 9:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ September 1, 2005, 9:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I get that loud clunking thing too. I just hope you can't hear it too easily on the outside. Just cuz when I pass people and they are checking me out, I don't want them to hear *rooooaaaaarr* *Clunk clunk* Makes me sound like I can't drive stick. :-P[/b]

Haha, I feel the exact same way...=P

Originally posted by Burke0011@September 1, 2005, 10:22 AM
The 'whirring' or ticking is that engine TSB (the one about the cam phasers or soemting like that.)
What is a TSB?

Originally posted by uofh2005@September 1, 2005, 11:32 AM
And heat from the car, i dropped off my friends last nite and we were standing outside the car for only a few minutes. Thats all we could take-its hot enough outside as it is!
No kidding, dude! I thought my car was overheating! Not the mention all the noise of the condensation hitting the hot metal and vaporizing.

<!--QuoteBegin-frankswildyears
@September 1, 2005, 11:49 AM
Oh and by the way, I never change the color on it except to show people how it can change colors,lol [/quote]
Yup, same here. That was 100 bucks wasted...=) I set mine on the preset blue also. Ehh, still people are impressed. I think it's my friend's (G35 Coupe owner) favorite feature about the car.
Old 9/1/05, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

It's true,

The transmission and brakes on our car is just plain awful.

The 5 speed is a complete joke. And I've never felt brakes on a modern car that are more 'wooden' and vague than on the 2005 Mustang.

I realized all this during the test drive...but I was just so seduced by the car's appearance I was able to shrug if off back then. But, as the days go by, these 2 issues are bothering me more and more.

Live and learn.
Old 9/1/05, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jack Frost@September 1, 2005, 1:42 PM
It's true,

The transmission and brakes on our car is just plain awful.

The 5 speed is a complete joke. And I've never felt brakes on a modern car that are more 'wooden' and vague than on the 2005 Mustang.

I realized all this during the test drive...but I was just so seduced by the car's appearance I was able to shrug if off back then. But, as the days go by, these 2 issues are bothering me more and more.

Live and learn.
It's not that the tranny is bad...I heard it is a heavy duty clutch to handle the torque in the engine, or some stuff like that.
Old 9/1/05, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@September 1, 2005, 12:45 PM
It's not that the tranny is bad...I heard it is a heavy duty clutch to handle the torque in the engine, or some stuff like that.
No, it is bad. When I'm driving it in the underground parking of my place of work...it feels as if it's gonna barf it's contents all over the floor. And it's not unique to just my particular '05 Mustang.

The car should have been equiped with a modern 6 speed. Geeezzz, the '06 Civic has a six speed.
Old 9/1/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Then go buy a Civic
Old 9/1/05, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jack Frost@September 1, 2005, 12:59 PM
No, it is bad. When I'm driving it in the underground parking of my place of work...it feels as if it's gonna barf it's contents all over the floor. And it's not unique to just my particular '05 Mustang.

The car should have been equiped with a modern 6 speed. Geeezzz, the '06 Civic has a six speed.

Seriously... as ^he said, go get a civic then. Your getting a high performance monster machine here that can't compare to any import buzzer. heck if you want to feel comfortable while driving, and if you think a car is going to throw up and makes you feel bad, then sell it and get a luxury car.

Geez... :angry:
Old 9/1/05, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can only imagine all the complaining if some people here had to drive older cars and trucks.

Personally I love all the noise. That's what gives the car it's personallity!! If you want a perfectly quiet car, then go buy luxury. The Mustang is not made to be quiet and refined.

The car talks to you, and I love every second of it. The whine in first, the growl in second, the vibration in third. The diff whine around 60, the screeming noises on downshifts, the limited-slip diff noises on sharp turns. Heck, even the drive shaft clunk is OK because it tells me I'm shifting like a noob!

I wouldn't change a thing . . . everyday it's a little taste of the 60's for me, and the classic cars I would have owned back then.

Yeah, and I have no use for a six speed either. My V-8 has plenty of torque to survive without that extra shift. Edit: Although, an extra overdrive would be nice for people who drive highways a lot.

Weak brakes? Is that why is stops from 60mph in only 125 feet?
Old 9/1/05, 05:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hows the tranny noise on the auto..anybody??
Old 9/1/05, 05:45 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a lot of it is.... 'is it normal'
A lot of people are coming from other cars that do not have these noises and 'issues', so to them...it can make them uneasy.

I know driving my car for a while, these noises are normal.

The clanging of the clutch....fix by letting the clutch out smoother/slower and giving it bit more gas. (once you find it...no clanging)
The only time it happens to me now, is when I do a bad shift. (too quick on the clutch, not enough gas at that moment...)

Part of this is probably/could be contributed to the drive-by-wire and the high performance (to handle the power) hydro-assist clutch...being a combination that a lot of people haven't driven with.

This car does NOT need a 6 speed.
Well..ok..let me rephrase that..
It doesn't need a 6speed for power, it needs it for fuel economy...
But those that think it needs it for power, need to look at the 6speed, and realize its a 4speed with 2 overdrive gears.... not a 5speed + 1 overdrive gear.
Honda's and smaller engined cars NEED all the help they can get with the low torque engines they have.

Performance wise, it wouldn't help anyone ....
Just get a gear swap....
Old 9/1/05, 06:19 PM
Banned

You guys think that YOUR tranny is bad?
You should feel my Mach 1

Wecome to the Tremac 3650!
Old 9/1/05, 08:39 PM
Number Cruncher

No noticeable noise on the auto.
All I hear is that wonderful V8 rumble.
Actually turn off the radio just to listen to it.
(Been V8 deprived for the last 8 years) Boy I miss my 69 stang!
Overall, this is the quietest car I've owned since my 1990 Taurus.
Old 9/1/05, 09:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Lennyb44@September 1, 2005, 10:42 PM
No noticeable noise on the auto.
All I hear is that wonderful V8 rumble.
Actually turn off the radio just to listen to it.
(Been V8 deprived for the last 8 years) Boy I miss my 69 stang!
Overall, this is the quietest car I've owned since my 1990 Taurus.
Thank you.Thats good news!!
Old 9/1/05, 09:41 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Sonic05@September 1, 2005, 3:36 PM
D

Personally I love all the noise. That's what gives the car it's personallity!! If you want a perfectly quiet car, then go buy luxury.

I agree and she talks to me too Any good partnership requires communication! As far as a six speed goes, I already skip gears most of the time and I think a six speed would just add more weight. Be O.K. if you were on open highway all the time. Otherwise, it'd make a good boat anchor.
Old 9/1/05, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@September 1, 2005, 5:48 PM
I think a lot of it is.... 'is it normal'
A lot of people are coming from other cars that do not have these noises and 'issues', so to them...it can make them uneasy.

I know driving my car for a while, these noises are normal.

The clanging of the clutch....fix by letting the clutch out smoother/slower and giving it bit more gas. (once you find it...no clanging)
The only time it happens to me now, is when I do a bad shift. (too quick on the clutch, not enough gas at that moment...)
That sounds exactly what I'm experiencing. Cool, thanks for all the input everyone, it's helped put my little ex Honda driving self at ease.
Old 9/1/05, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

P.S. I love the roar of the engine. I got the Shaker 500, but rarely use it. I only wish I could stop that high pitched whirring/whining sound so it would be 100% V8 roar...
Old 9/1/05, 10:27 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I dont have any of these issues described here... I have 05 manual gt with 7700 miles on it now....solid as a rock... stops on a dime... no noises...
Old 9/3/05, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

At first, I was concerned about the sounds my transmission made, then I heard it was common for the type of powertrain.

Later, it occurred to me where I'd heard those "clanking" sounds before: with my '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee! It had a 383 Magnum engine, mated to a Hurst shifter with pistol grip. That was the first high-perf engine equipped car I'd driven, and it was a life-altering experience! Now I just smile when I hear that cacophony from underfoot. It reminds me of how much FUN I had behind the wheel of that big ole Mopar. Only now, with my 'Stang, I'm more confident of the car's reliability and durability. :worship:
Old 9/3/05, 12:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@September 3, 2005, 12:16 PM
At first, I was concerned about the sounds my transmission made, then I heard it was common for the type of powertrain.

Later, it occurred to me where I'd heard those "clanking" sounds before: with my '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee! It had a 383 Magnum engine, mated to a Hurst shifter with pistol grip. That was the first high-perf engine equipped car I'd driven, and it was a life-altering experience! Now I just smile when I hear that cacophony from underfoot. It reminds me of how much FUN I had behind the wheel of that big ole Mopar. Only now, with my 'Stang, I'm more confident of the car's reliability and durability. :worship:
that is a sweet charger.what happened to it?
Old 9/3/05, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

My Car, 4000Km, 1 Oil Change, 2months of Driving.
Not one thing wrong with it when it left the Dealer, Set Up guy said very few Adjustments.
Today, still stock and running fine.
Found a deformed Xmas Tree Plug on the rear seat trim, Ordered.
Thats it, I would bet that 99% of the Mustangs leave the Factory this way.

BTW; you can almost hear the Tranny yelling: He's going for another BIG ONE, Shift, Shift, Shift! :drive:

Music to the Ears
Old 9/3/05, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@September 3, 2005, 1:51 PM
that is a sweet charger.what happened to it?
Thanks, Chuck. I appreciate that. I only had that car for about 9 months after restoring her. I invested about $7K and that's what I sold it for, to someone on Long Island. Great learning experience. You would not believe the condition of the car when I bought it. I'll see if I can load some before and after pix...

(I know this is a MUSTANG website, but since we're all pretty much car folks, I thought y'all wouldn't mind if I shared these with ya! )

Quick Reply: Day 5 observations...