2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 5 observations...

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/05, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, let me say, I love my Mustang. I can't picture myself driving any other car. I go joyriding every night. That being said, I've noticed a few things and want to see if anyone agrees or shares these problems...

1. There seems to be a lot of transmission noise. Lots of clunking and clanking when shifting and using the clutch. My friend says it's normal for high torque cars because they require a heavy duty clutch. He had a 99 Stang GT and now has a Z06 Vette. He says his Vette's transmission was even louder than his Stang's.

2. The brakes are weak. Will getting high performance pads help this or do I need to get a complete high performance system?

3. After driving it pretty hard, when I turn off the engine, I hear hissing noises like steam escaping or water evaporating on very hot metal from under the hood. I've even opened my hood once and saw tons of condensation on some tubes, so much that it was dripping on the ground.

4. There seems to be a whirring or whining noise under the hood during high acceleration. Maybe intake related? I'm bone stock, btw.

I guess what I really need is someone who has driven one for a while to drive me and tell me if all this stuff is normal. Oh well, can't hurt to ask here...
Old 8/31/05, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal for me.

1. Transmission / driveline noise - yeah, that annoys me too.
2. Brakes - bone stock oem brakes, no surprise.
3. Hissing noise after driving - aw man, that's just cool.
4. Whirring / whining noise - mine too. Never could figure out what that was.

Enjoy!

Sean
Old 8/31/05, 11:55 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Everything seems familiar to me. But I think you forgot to add how much heat the cats give off when your at a stop.
Old 9/1/05, 01:00 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by azoufan@August 31, 2005, 10:32 PM
Normal for me.

1. Transmission / driveline noise - yeah, that annoys me too.
2. Brakes - bone stock oem brakes, no surprise.
3. Hissing noise after driving - aw man, that's just cool.
4. Whirring / whining noise - mine too. Never could figure out what that was.

Enjoy!

Sean

I hear that whining noise, too. sounds like its coming through the speakers when i accelerate.
Old 9/1/05, 02:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by clockworks@August 31, 2005, 10:48 PM
First off, let me say, I love my Mustang. I can't picture myself driving any other car. I go joyriding every night. That being said, I've noticed a few things and want to see if anyone agrees or shares these problems...

1. There seems to be a lot of transmission noise. Lots of clunking and clanking when shifting and using the clutch. My friend says it's normal for high torque cars because they require a heavy duty clutch. He had a 99 Stang GT and now has a Z06 Vette. He says his Vette's transmission was even louder than his Stang's.

2. The brakes are weak. Will getting high performance pads help this or do I need to get a complete high performance system?

3. After driving it pretty hard, when I turn off the engine, I hear hissing noises like steam escaping or water evaporating on very hot metal from under the hood. I've even opened my hood once and saw tons of condensation on some tubes, so much that it was dripping on the ground.
4. There seems to be a whirring or whining noise under the hood during high acceleration. Maybe intake related? I'm bone stock, btw.

I guess what I really need is someone who has driven one for a while to drive me and tell me if all this stuff is normal. Oh well, can't hurt to ask here...
D

Did you have your a/c running?
Old 9/1/05, 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
On my old '69 Mustang, the water pumnp was so noisy (common back then) that it sounded like a washing machine sometimes.

// harrummphing old coot mode // Back in the day, we had V8's that sounded like washing machines. And we were GRATEFUL!
// harrummphing old coot mode off //

Old 9/1/05, 06:36 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess for #3 is you had the a/c turned on.
Old 9/1/05, 07:01 AM
GT Member

[quote=Trojan2002,September 1, 2005, 1:03 AM]
I hear that whining noise, too. sounds like its coming through the speakers when i accelerate.

Don't know if this is the case but if you're hearing a whinning noise through the speakers it might be a poorly shielded antenna cable that's too close to the alternator. I don't have my mustang yet so I can't relate to the noise you're hearing....just a thought.
Old 9/1/05, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I hear a whirring noise when I drive too... I think it is that engine-thingy...
Old 9/1/05, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Herknav@September 1, 2005, 7:07 AM
I hear a whirring noise when I drive too... I think it is that engine-thingy...
It's kinda high pitched though...not beefy V8 sounding...

And yes, my AC is always on (I live in Texas). Cool, I feel better now.
Old 9/1/05, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I get that loud clunking thing too. I just hope you can't hear it too easily on the outside. Just cuz when I pass people and they are checking me out, I don't want them to hear *rooooaaaaarr* *Clunk clunk* Makes me sound like I can't drive stick. :-P
Old 9/1/05, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I had mine for about 2 weeks now and the only thing I found on mine is a small bubble in the paint. The dealer is going to fix it, but I'll be without my car for a day or two. :angry:

Besides the paint is also the stress! The stress of having to leave it in parking lots. I always try to park far away from other cars, but sometimes parking lots aren't big enough to do that.
Old 9/1/05, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear something in the engine compartment spinning down after I turn off the engine. It lasts for several seconds and sounds like it's coming from something on the driver's side. Any idea what it could be?
Old 9/1/05, 10:19 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'whirring' or ticking is that engine TSB (the one about the cam phasers or soemting like that.)

I complained about that in like January and not too many people knew what I was talking about.....

Echoing someone elses comment about the Cats, YES - holy crap those things run HOTTTT. You get out of the car after driving and you can FEEL the bubble of heat coming off the bottom of the car. I think that's my bigghest pet peeve right now.

The glimmer of hope I had was the person who poaste don here about installing an xpipe with the highflow cats and said the heat went WAY down.....
Old 9/1/05, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

You will soon find ways to minimize the driveline lash when driving and shifting...

Man, I can't wait to get into one of these cars. I'm driving a 1986 Mustang GT right now, you want to talk about noise, poor brakes, aggravation!! And I've done a ton of work on it as well. It has 73mm police calipers...

I wonder if the alternator continues to spin after you shut 'er down due to the one-way clutch?
Old 9/1/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dusty1@September 1, 2005, 9:24 AM
I hear something in the engine compartment spinning down after I turn off the engine. It lasts for several seconds and sounds like it's coming from something on the driver's side. Any idea what it could be?
I think you might be hearing the cooling fan spinning down.
Michael
Old 9/1/05, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Another thing I noticed is the dash lights. When I get in my car at night, start it up the dash is already lit up. Seeing the dash lit up I forget to turn my lights on right away, thinking they are already on since all my previous vehicles didn't have daytime dash lights.
Old 9/1/05, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah a lot of new cars now have the white LED dash so you can see it during the day better. My mom's '03 Accord is like that, but brighter.

And heat from the car, i dropped off my friends last nite and we were standing outside the car for only a few minutes. Thats all we could take-its hot enough outside as it is!
Old 9/1/05, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@September 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
Another thing I noticed is the dash lights. When I get in my car at night, start it up the dash is already lit up. Seeing the dash lit up I forget to turn my lights on right away, thinking they are already on since all my previous vehicles didn't have daytime dash lights.
I had the same problem in the past. One advantage of the MYCOLOR setup is you notice the dash isn't the color you drive with(blue 4 me). Once you're used to it set on a particular color its the first thing you notice when you start the car. Oh and by the way, I never change the color on it except to show people how it can change colors,lol
Old 9/1/05, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by clockworks@August 31, 2005, 10:48 PM

Just curious, have most of your previous cars been front wheel drive? I've noticed that people who have not driven rear wheel drive cars much aren't used to having the transmission so close to the driver (literally right under the shifter)... With the transmission so close to the driver, you can normally hear a lot more gear noise than in a FWD car...

Quick Reply: Day 5 observations...