2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Daily Driver - Recommend Manual or A/T?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/08, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driver - Recommend Manual or A/T?

Hey guys,

Most of my commute (on weekdays at least) is stop and go traffic and very mundane etc

On weekend I like to drive free, fast, and all over!

However, for practicality, do you recommend a manual or A/T for everyday driver?

5 days stop n go traffic, 2 days winding roads and canyons :P
Old 6/15/08, 04:58 PM

Just depends what you like to drive... most of my cars have been manual - my 427r Roush Mustang no exception.
Old 6/15/08, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lenny
Just depends what you like to drive... most of my cars have been manual - my 427r Roush Mustang no exception.
I currently have an a/t... is manual a bother in stop and go traffic when your in 1st the whole time moving only a few feet then havhing to stop, like hundred times a day?

my only experience with manual is on flat open road so was wondering how people felt that drive it everyday
Old 6/15/08, 06:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenny
It does depend on you mostly.
I am so used to manuals that I avoid buying autos.
You will find many Europeans feel the same way.
I was born and raised in the USA, but I started with manuals on my first car.
My sister has never owned an auto in over 35 years of driving.
Modern auto trannys are pretty good (unlike back in my youth).
For me it boils down to a control thing.
I still feel uncomfortable having the car decide when to shift.
Old 6/15/08, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

I live in Southern California, traffic sucks. Not just on the highways either it sucks everywhere around here. That said I've drivin manuals as daily drivers most of my life and didn't think much of it, the left knee bucking and discomfort was just part of driving until I got my Mustang gt with the auto. I couldn't believe how much less irritating and stressful driving has become. I can keep both hands on the wheel at all times or if I want to sip a coffee I don't have to worry about fumbling around and spilling it as I try to shift. It's ultimately up to you but from the tone of this thread you've already made up your mind. There is no shame in driving an auto.
Old 6/15/08, 06:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in socal aswell with traffic sometimes but I love my 5spd. I drive my car about 3 to 4 times a week most of the time.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 6/15/08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 6/15/08, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I've gone back and forth between autos and manuals in the cars that I've owned. The auto in my Mustang is a concession to my wife (she has to drive it too) but I've come to appreciate the convenience; particularly driving in metro Atlanta traffic. Test drive both versions. I think you'll be surprised at how responsive the automatic is in the GT.
Old 6/15/08, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Manual!! Even though you may have to sit through stop and go traffic as I do everyday, its worth it to be able to shoot thru the gears on an open road.
Old 6/15/08, 08:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nynvolt
I live in Southern California, traffic sucks. Not just on the highways either it sucks everywhere around here. That said I've drivin manuals as daily drivers most of my life and didn't think much of it, the left knee bucking and discomfort was just part of driving until I got my Mustang gt with the auto. I couldn't believe how much less irritating and stressful driving has become. I can keep both hands on the wheel at all times or if I want to sip a coffee I don't have to worry about fumbling around and spilling it as I try to shift. It's ultimately up to you but from the tone of this thread you've already made up your mind. There is no shame in driving an auto.
No shame in driving an auto.
Modern auto are pretty good.
You probably should get that knee looked at though.
I do have to wonder about not being able to drive and drink at the same time with a manual.
Back in the day, we used to drink a beer (yes it was legal in my state then),smoke a cigarette, and drive a stick all at once.
Maybe it was easier when there were no other cars on the road.
Old 6/15/08, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Manual for coupes for sure. We have a Vert Auto and I find I can relax in that car more. I really love tearing it up on weekends in my 5-spd coupe, but an Auto Vert is hard to beat.
Old 6/15/08, 08:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Manual here for my DD. My next car will again be a manual.
Old 6/15/08, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My current Mustang is a manual... my previous Mustang was a manual... my current truck is an auto. It really just depends on what you prefer driving. I drive Phoenix traffic on a regular basis in the Mustang and I find it not bother whatsoever. Matter of fact its more of a bother to me when I drive the truck. I sometimes find myself reaching for a clutch pedal that doesn't exist!
Old 6/15/08, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a 2006 manual, traded it for a 2007 auto. No regrets. I have had manuals for 35 years, but this car is a blast to drive with the auto.
Old 6/15/08, 09:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose an automatic simply because I get irritated in heavy traffic having to shift and clutch all the time. My left knee can't take it like when I was younger. I also don't want to have to worry about replacing a clutch.
Old 6/15/08, 11:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I just got back into manual after years of automatics... and I can't be happier. Even in traffic. I can't explain it. I'm happy my left leg has something to do now, I suppose...
Old 6/16/08, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
With an auto, you no longer have to worry about the clutch, but you have to worry about the overdrive band wearing out and the torque converter lockup clutch burning up.
Old 6/16/08, 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

jeez, this thread always pops up no matter what board you're on....
Listen, most of the folks who populate these boards will always tell you "MANUAL or bust". They are performance drivers who are still of the mindset that autos are slushboxes for old ladies, lipservice to new ford autos notwithstanding. That said, here's the scoop from an auto owner...

I have had it with shifting, that's why I bought an auto. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this 5 speed auto can kick a manual's a** with the same equipment. The shifts from the factory are harsh and crappy if you mash it to the floor, but after a tune it's like riding in a luxury car, smooth and powerful. Okay, you don't get the manly points look from the guy in the Ferrari sitting next to you with a manual, but then if you had Ferrari money you wouldn't be in stop and go traffic. Also, you'll find for all the people who like to talk trash that some of the fastest 05+ mustangs on the circuit are autos, even JDM has a 10 sec auto car, and that's just one of many. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Justin Burcham run an auto? I think he went into the 8's recently. Also, many drag afficionados are extolling the virtues of the 4R70W (psst, it's an auto). So Autos go fast, and the 5R55S may be one of the best transmissions built in recent history for moderate to high performance cars. you'll find on other forums that there are several 5R55S rebuilders out there that can handle 900HP, but who readily admit the stock one is probably good up to 500HP.

So if you want to stop shifting in traffic but still have go fast ability here's the straight skinny:
The auto in these cars is awesome, and with a supercharger it'll blow the doors off a lot of manuals cause it never misses a shift. But to really enjoy it you're going to need a tune from Doug or Brent to achieve it's potential.

my .02...

-Darth

Last edited by Darth Stang; 6/16/08 at 06:38 AM.
Old 6/16/08, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Autos are fast for going in a straight line without a doubt. I have a 4R70W in the Crown Vic and it's nothing to write home about. Police cars are retired at 100k miles in most areas and they have gone through 1-3 4R70Ws before retirement. Most used CVPIs will have an inline ATF filter because that is SOP for using a rebuilt 4R70W. The overdrive band also likes to take a dump once in awhile.

The only way to make the 4R70W drag-worthy is by throwing money at it to "beef it up" to the point it no longer resembles anything like a factory 4R70W (forced tailshaft lube mod, Jerry W-mod for the valve body plates, upgraded snap-ring thing, beefed up torque converter, etc...)
Old 6/16/08, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disclosure: My 05 GT is a manual.

Ok, when I ordered my GT, I DID order a manual. And I don't have any regrets on that either. BUT!!! Before I ordered it, I test drove three other GTs, two of which where auto cars. And I do have to say, that is a VERY good slush box. After taking a spirited test drive in the auto car, I had to think about what my tranny choice was going to be. Needless to say, I did order a manual car in the end.

On occasion, I have wished I had the auto. Usually in the middle of a nasty traffic jam. But the other 99% of my time, I am MORE than happy that I have the manual. You are just so much more connected to the car with a stick. Plus, they get better fuel efficiency and they put more power to the ground. Always pluses for a performance car!

As for drag racing, yes, a modified (or highly modified) auto can be very good in certain classes of drag racing. But stock manual car to stock auto, the manual car will win every single time IF the guy (or gal!) driving the stick knows how to properly shift. No doubt the auto car is much easier to "race".

For any other kind of racing, you simply won't find autos anywhere on the track. Drivers need to be fully in control of the car at all times.
Old 6/16/08, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Ive driven a manual for the past 3.5 years - I definately prefer it over autos as I've had 3 automatic trasmissions go out on me. I would reccomend replacing the stock shifter with a shorth throw though, makes it a bit easier.

99% of my driving is city driving - if you slow down and let the idiots pass you, you can usually time all the lights so you dont have to stop at each one.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver - Recommend Manual or A/T?