2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cylinder misfiring (number 3 or 2 likely)

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/21, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder misfiring (number 3 or 2 likely)

Just bought a 2006 v6 as a b-day present for 16 year-old son . . . I'm not mechanically inclined so . . . have taken it to a couple places but getting differing suggestions including 'have to go through it all and check everything first' which I'm trying to avoid . . . so any help in narrowing it down is much appreciated . . . codes listed below, but you can hear it missing a little, idles a bit rough (though a 2nd muffler has been added so maybe that's part of it) . . . seems to drive, accelerate smoothly and fine though I've only logged maybe 15 miles on it . . . running rich and leaking fuel probably somewhere as you can smell gasoline a little, especially upon starting. Thanks!! (new plugs put in too) . . . check engine light is on.

P0303 (misfire) . . . also P2198; P2196; P0401; P0172

Old 7/31/21, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Ok first thing is welcome, also hope we can give some info for you. Second did you check the EGR valve (code p0401) that may have blocked/clogged or the valve is not working at all. You are right the first code is misfire for cylinder #3(codep0303. Also the other two codes are for the car running rich / oxygen sensors failing could be due to the second muffler not my first guess but maybe. If I were you I would check the fuel system and the injectors. Do this when someone turns the car on with out starting the car then when someone starts the car completely. I know you said your not mechanically inclined but fairly simple. If you get stuck you can find this stuff on youtube to check out how it's done. As for the sensors that's a whole different ball game. Not fairly complicated just tough to get to.
Old 7/31/21, 10:39 PM

Thanks much for the reply and advice - I did get o2 sensors but the shop said that may not be the issue . . . I'll try and check the fuel injectors and filter . . . this may be unanswerable, but I'm looking at having to drive it 100 miles before getting it looked at . . . is that a major risk/really stupid . . . or just moderately so . . . previous owner said adding fuel injector cleaner helped temporarily at least (like I said, it seems to drive well/just fine as far as I can tell).
Old 7/31/21, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy!

The muffler's isn't it. It won't do anything, except maybe a little less backpressure, unless someone *seriously* hacked up that exhaust.

I'd ostensibly say the EGR needs fixing first before anything else, too, but... I'm thinkin' it's more the overall intake system is havin' a leak. Misfire on 3 is one thing, but both banks showing too rich means the system can't compensate for the amount of oxygen it's seeing in the exhaust, meaning an intake leak.

I'm saying you need to get the car smoke tested to see where the smoke comes out. The proper intake system/engine shouldn't have smoke exit anywhere except maybe the exhaust or possibly some PCV/oil crankcase venting.

I'm almost certain the intake is cracked and needs replacing, but that's a seriously off the cuff guess from *wayyyyy* over here. The smoke test will show that. Of course, the EGR could be stuck open, but I don't think that'd cause the rich condition, so... yeah, probably just mad about the overall problem.

If it's not the intake nor EGR, then the rich condition is there's either too much fuel pressure (unlikely unless the pump is seriously pumping and/or the regulator has gone out of control/open) or some/all of the injectors are stuck open/leaking.

Regardless of the cause, driving it too much like this will destroy the catalytic converters. Don't run it until it's fixed, just enough to test/confirm things, but otherwise, I'd park it/tow it to a shop. Get it fixed to save the cats.

And of course... I could have missed something. Darnit.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 8/1/21, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the detailed help and explanations!! . . . looks like I could do the EGR on my own and then we'll see after that ... .
Old 8/2/21, 03:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Howdy!

The muffler's isn't it. It won't do anything, except maybe a little less backpressure, unless someone *seriously* hacked up that exhaust.

I'd ostensibly say the EGR needs fixing first before anything else, too, but... I'm thinkin' it's more the overall intake system is havin' a leak. Misfire on 3 is one thing, but both banks showing too rich means the system can't compensate for the amount of oxygen it's seeing in the exhaust, meaning an intake leak.

I'm saying you need to get the car smoke tested to see where the smoke comes out. The proper intake system/engine shouldn't have smoke exit anywhere except maybe the exhaust or possibly some PCV/oil crankcase venting.

I'm almost certain the intake is cracked and needs replacing, but that's a seriously off the cuff guess from *wayyyyy* over here. The smoke test will show that. Of course, the EGR could be stuck open, but I don't think that'd cause the rich condition, so... yeah, probably just mad about the overall problem.

If it's not the intake nor EGR, then the rich condition is there's either too much fuel pressure (unlikely unless the pump is seriously pumping and/or the regulator has gone out of control/open) or some/all of the injectors are stuck open/leaking.

Regardless of the cause, driving it too much like this will destroy the catalytic converters. Don't run it until it's fixed, just enough to test/confirm things, but otherwise, I'd park it/tow it to a shop. Get it fixed to save the cats.

And of course... I could have missed something. Darnit.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Yes didn't thinking of the intake. I agree with the smoke test and not driving it to much. It will cause more headaches than you want.