2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Custom Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to bring this thread back! Look at what UPR has now-

http://www.uprproducts.com//images/p...ll/4BR_lrg.gif

Thanks Donna for finding this!!! I need one of these big time.
Old 4/6/05, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Check this out. It seems that we are too late for this buy, but it seems that there is hope for a custom switchblade key.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t54296-1.html

I emailed the guy who conducted the group buy asking where the custom keys can be ordered from, and I'll let everyone know if and when I hear from this person.
Old 4/6/05, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm, well I guess it doesn't help the key part, but at least we are making progress!
Old 4/7/05, 12:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I would be in on a group buy if they could come up with one for the mustang key. If not I guess I will buy the billet key fob.
Old 4/7/05, 08:54 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by rcinco@April 6, 2005, 2:07 PM
Check this out. It seems that we are too late for this buy, but it seems that there is hope for a custom switchblade key.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t54296-1.html

I emailed the guy who conducted the group buy asking where the custom keys can be ordered from, and I'll let everyone know if and when I hear from this person.

bless you for starting this!!! i just sold my 2000 A4 and i've realized how much i absolutely LOVED the key. it was so handy and convenient...and just plain cool. i really dislike Ford's key system..it's ugly and old looking. to me - it's these little things that make a difference.

anyways, i'll keep looking around but please post once you've found out more information. Cheers,
kristina
Old 4/7/05, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not too big on Ford's keys either. My Saab key is pretty awesome. Newer ones just came out and are even cooler (on the right, mine is on the left). That’s what I got use to. I'd be down for a group buy depending how that works.
Old 4/7/05, 09:18 AM
GT Member

I emailed the person who originally posted the group buy on Toyota Nation, and he said that the keys will not work on Fords because of some sort of transmitter issue.

However, I found the person who actually makes the key on eBay (see below) and asked if he could make switchblade keys for our Mustangs. I'll let everyone know either way as soon as I hear back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Old 4/7/05, 11:03 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by rcinco@April 7, 2005, 11:21 AM
I emailed the person who originally posted the group buy on Toyota Nation, and he said that the keys will not work on Fords because of some sort of transmitter issue.

However, I found the person who actually makes the key on eBay (see below) and asked if he could make switchblade keys for our Mustangs. I'll let everyone know either way as soon as I hear back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

good find! ya, i got really used to my Audi key so that would of course be my preference. Ideally, there'd be a way to figure out if you can built in a transponder to make the buttons on an Audi key work with a Mustang alarm system, but i don't know anything about that so.... :scratch:....i'd be curious to see about this transmitter that's built into the Ford key - i can't imagine it's that hard to remove from the key and place into the new one, eh?

anyways, keep me posted. thanks

kris
Old 4/7/05, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Altoid@April 7, 2005, 8:20 AM
I'm not too big on Ford's keys either. My Saab key is pretty awesome. Newer ones just came out and are even cooler (on the right, mine is on the left). That’s what I got use to. I'd be down for a group buy depending how that works.
Don't give me your Saab story!

J/K, I always wanted to say that. I bet you Saab owners get tired of hearing that.
Old 4/15/05, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since we bought the 'Stang in January, I have noticed that the keys are getting really beat up. The plastic seems really soft to me. My husband carries his keys in his pocket with other keys, so I noticed his are thrashed. I decided to see if I could do anything to fix it.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot and I asked in the tool department about a plastic type coating I remembered hearing about that you can use to coat the handles of tool so they are less slippery or something. Anyway, we found the stuff in the paint department. It's called Plasti Dip by Performix. It says on the label that it is a "multi purpose rubber coating". I paid $6.47 for the 14.5 ounce can. They had red, black and yellow. I love red, but thought the black would be a better choice for the keys, but I went ahead and bought the red and black. What the hey. It says you can dip the item or brush it on.

So today, I wrapped a piece of wire around the key part and after mixing the stuff up well, I swallowed a big dose of courage and dipped the plastic part inside. It says to slowly dip the item then slowly pull it out. So I did. The stuff is thick!!! I then wrapped the other end of the wire around one of my kitchen cupboard handles and let it drip back into the container of dipping stuff. It says to allow 4 hours for drying, so I let it hang there all morning. I then took it out to the car to see if it worked still and yes, it still does!

All in all, the stuff seems to have covered up the abuse my hubby gave the key, and has a nice coating that (according to the label) is supposed to "not crack, peel or become brittle". I don't know how this will hold up over time, but it seemed like a worthwhile experiment to me. BTW, the stuff is pretty strong smelling. It recommends using in a well ventilated area, but it was windy out so I did it in the kitchen. It was tolerable, but would probably be better to use it in the garage.

Here is the key before

[attachmentid=17904]

Another before

[attachmentid=17905]

Hanging to dry

[attachmentid=17906]

After
[attachmentid=17907]
Old 4/15/05, 07:52 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Great idea Janet!
Old 4/15/05, 08:45 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Great find Janet. Does the plastic seem harder now than the original on the key?
Old 4/15/05, 08:54 PM
GT Member

That's genius. I never would have thought about that. Great idea. I remember seeing a commercial for that stuff, but I had forgotten all about it. Let us know if it holds up or if it doesn't.
Old 4/15/05, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will keep you all posted! The key doesn't seem to be harder now, Donna. It just seems coated. I can't describe it very well I guess. Anyway, I think it was worth doing, and when hubby got home he was impressed!
Old 4/15/05, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Antrax@March 13, 2005, 9:42 PM
Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality.

Diego
is that for the 05 mustang, and if so where did you get it?
Old 4/16/05, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great idea Janet....good thinking. A tip for next time.....you can cut your drying time drastically by dropping it in the toaster for a few seconds.
Old 4/16/05, 01:39 PM
GT Member

I purchased the UPR billet remote fob and modded the back ... what do you think?
Old 4/16/05, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jahnnee5@April 16, 2005, 12:42 PM
I purchased the UPR billet remote fob and modded the back ... what do you think?
Thats a neat idea! How did you make it? Details!!!
Old 4/16/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@April 16, 2005, 5:39 AM
Great idea Janet....good thinking. A tip for next time.....you can cut your drying time drastically by dropping it in the toaster for a few seconds.
That might not be a bad idea Tom! The fumes may get a little toxic in the house though.
Old 4/16/05, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by azlitigator+April 16, 2005, 6:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azlitigator @ April 16, 2005, 6:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jahnnee5@April 16, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thats a neat idea! How did you make it? Details!!!
[/b][/quote]

I puchased this keychain... http://www.fcdealerstore.com/product_detai..._category=BRAND
After I got it, I didnt really like it that much....So I took the mustang off of it....it was only glued on with one dot of glue. I then used JB Weld to affix to the back cover of the UPR fob.

Quick Reply: Custom Key Fob