2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Critic's Corner

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/04, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here's a chance to be critic for a day. Not of the Mustang, but Ford's Mustang team. Which of these Mustangs is the best executed design? Which does its job, be it street machine, Concept Road Racer, or Conecept-Teaser, best?
Old 6/2/04, 12:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the V6 effort takes the cake. Putting in a better engine thats easilly modified, and 5 speed auto really moves the car up a notch. The GT will be much improved, but V8 coupe fans are V8 coupe fans. With the interior upgrade package, better performance, a squeak free ride, better safety and brakes really makes a hugely better car for the young buyers that wont kill them on insurance. The V6 coupe usually is the "conquest" vehicle(takes other make's buyers), the current car does not have much to offer 19-23k shoppers in the "sporty coupe" market right now. Never forget that the V6 coupe sales pay for all the SE's and SVT's to get developed. With the newer "quiet steel" technology of the F-150, the V6 is going to be light years smoother and quieter. They can "tune" the firewall to only allow certain frequencies of sound, so only certain motor noises are heard.

Still, my only real beef's with the car are
1. THE MIRRORS! and
2. who decided to dump the 60's style pull-**** for the lights? I liked that on stangs.
Old 6/2/04, 01:34 PM
I'm people, and I like.

i liked the V6
because as Kevin already said, the V6 is a lot better than the current V6. and also cause im gonna get one
Old 6/2/04, 01:38 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I went with the concept GT--smooth lines, 400-hp, functional hood scoops, and sequential turn signals.
Old 6/2/04, 01:50 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think everything about teh production car is wonderful. It's a far more realistic car in my opinion and I think the softer lines and slighly rounded and simpler surfaces really makes this mustang a show stopper
Old 6/2/04, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I chose the concept because it's got an independant rear suspension... and anyway the front end is much better looking on the concept, the production version is blunt, almost truck like...
Another disapointment is that ford did not go with with a more fuel efficient engine for the base model such as the modern 3.0L duratec engine, as fuel prices keep going up this might influence sales big time, my guess is that the V6 4.0L cars will guzzle gas almost as much as the GT.
Old 6/2/04, 02:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Doug
Old 6/2/04, 02:13 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the production model but I went for the GT Concept. Prefer the hood and sequential signals, and yes 400 HP and 20inch rims was a lovely addition.
Old 6/2/04, 02:17 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Production GT
why.. the concept is just that... a concept,

the production looks to be on paper, the best built, most thought out Mustang ever designed, I hope I manage to make it become my first car
Old 6/2/04, 03:30 PM

Thought the Concept had the best, most nuanced styling. The production GT's good, very good, but lacks that Nth degree of finesse and finish of the Concept.
Old 6/2/04, 03:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
i find the concept too brick like. Some aspects I like on it but for the most part i think it's a fantasy and to me it may as well have not ever been made... As a matter of fact you can't even really call it a concept because the mustangs design was decided on before the concept was built. It's more of a styling exercise. I thought it was neet but it never made me go WOW. Now when the first photos came out of the4 production GT I wnet WOW and got that feeling i had when i was 17 and got my very first car. Like it was the greatest car in the world. No car has ever done that to me except the new GT and my first car. The Concept GT was as Rhumb said the most nuanced yes but that was IMO because it was a party dress or a ball gown. The Production mustang is a great pair of familiar jeans and you know what...that's the way i like it!

Even the Vanquish wich to me is the greatest styled car in the universe didn't do that to me.
Old 6/2/04, 05:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I say the V6 only because it doesn't have the fog lights. Give me a fog light and spoiler delete option even at no credit for the V8 stang.

Now add the GT-R grill, a shaker scoop, tail-light treatment from a 70 Mach, rocker panel treatment from a 70 Mach, and 340 to 350 hp and I'm there brother.

then again I think Ford also needs to stroke the 4.6 a tad bit so you could lay down some stripes with 289 CID on the hood.

Course this is off forum, but since the camaro and firebird are yet to be ressurected, why doesn't Dodge step up to the plate with a HEMI cuda. Does anybody think they could sell a ton of these or what?
Old 6/2/04, 08:24 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by bob@Jun. 2nd, 2004, 5:42 PM

Course this is off forum, but since the camaro and firebird are yet to be ressurected, why doesn't Dodge step up to the plate with a HEMI cuda. Does anybody think they could sell a ton of these or what?
um...cuz they're working on the Charger. but another Cuda would be nice... B)

oh yeah, and i think the production GT is the best. to me, it seems like the ost perfet car i could hope to have.
Old 6/2/04, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

I bow down to the 05 GT :worship:
A great design(smooth, simple lines) with a great interior and plenty of power( alot nicer than the concept IMO)

This is how I'll look when driving it B)
Old 6/2/04, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by burningman@Jun. 2nd, 2004, 2:53 PM
I think everything about teh production car is wonderful. It's a far more realistic car in my opinion and I think the softer lines and slighly rounded and simpler surfaces really makes this mustang a show stopper
I was astounded by how curved the flanks are on a car in this price class. I took quite a few top-down rear quarter shots ill post, this thing is amazing for the money.
Old 6/2/04, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

I voted for the concept primarily beacause I loved the hood on that car, but the aftermarket will take care of that if I feel strongly enough about it.
Old 6/2/04, 10:09 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by burningman@Jun. 2nd, 2004, 5:48 PM
i find the concept too brick like. Some aspects I like on it but for the most part i think it's a fantasy and to me it may as well have not ever been made... As a matter of fact you can't even really call it a concept because the mustangs design was decided on before the concept was built. It's more of a styling exercise. I thought it was neet but it never made me go WOW. Now when the first photos came out of the4 production GT I wnet WOW and got that feeling i had when i was 17 and got my very first car. Like it was the greatest car in the world. No car has ever done that to me except the new GT and my first car. The Concept GT was as Rhumb said the most nuanced yes but that was IMO because it was a party dress or a ball gown. The Production mustang is a great pair of familiar jeans and you know what...that's the way i like it!

Even the Vanquish wich to me is the greatest styled car in the universe didn't do that to me.
Well said doug.

I said production GT. Concept was based on the production first of all. I also think that the production looks much better than the concept. I did like the 400 hp engine and sequential signals though.

GT-R is still a dressed up production. It is the underlying car that makes it great IMO.
Old 6/2/04, 11:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by future9er24+Jun. 2nd, 2004, 8:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (future9er24 @ Jun. 2nd, 2004, 8:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-bob@Jun. 2nd, 2004, 5:42 PM

um...cuz they're working on the Charger. but another Cuda would be nice... B)

oh yeah, and i think the production GT is the best. to me, it seems like the ost perfet car i could hope to have.[/b][/quote]
Not to stray to far off..here's Dodge's Charger concept...still like the 05 Stang better!

Old 6/2/04, 11:47 PM
V6 Member

Hmmm.... no sir, didn't like it.
Old 6/2/04, 11:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Dodge's Charger is essentially going to be a Dodge 300C.

Quick Reply: Critic's Corner