2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy to cover new 'stang at work each day?

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/06, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy to cover new 'stang at work each day?

Ive been trying hard to keep my new black GT CLEAN. Garaged at night, but its my daily driver and I'm mostly concerned about it being parked all day at my office.

Oh, yeah- there are NO good spots! Our lot is over capacity (people parking everyhere) so I cant just park more remotely and be alone!

Just wondering if anyone else out there is **** enough to cover their car daily? Someone suggested all this proposed covering/uncovering can actually make scratching the car more likely.... UGH.

Here's my other consideration:

doordefender

Is this just new owner anxiety that will eventually pass?
Old 9/17/06, 08:51 AM
GT Member

I have a Black one also, and I also drive it to work (although the spots I park in are OK). IMO, covering it at work and/or adding those side protectors it a bit too ****. It's a driven car, stuff will happen over time. Learn to live with it, is my thought.
Old 9/17/06, 08:52 AM
GT Member

you and i are in the same boat now budd. I'm anxiously waiting for my black GT arriving anyday now and seeing the parking lot at work, i think i'll be covering it everyday. I don;t care waht my co-workers think. After all, how long can they keep laughing?!
Me, and my black GT, that's all that matters.
Old 9/17/06, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The anxiety of dealing with other park cars never ever passes. This is why I tend to drive my beater to places requiring parking in parking lots.
Old 9/17/06, 09:13 AM
GT Member

I drive my 1996 Jetta that has been trashed by the environment and parking lot vultures. Mainly by those who are less gifted in the parking realm. The Stang stays in the garage unless the weather is perfect, and it can be parked 100 yards from another car. Althogh even then the birds still find a way.
Old 9/17/06, 09:23 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

is there a way you can try and get the same spot everyday? if so, perhaps one end spot, that way you're only down to one side being exposed.

i'm lucky, i can always get this one spot in my work garage, and it's beside a post, and the same guy always parks on the other side of me.

if i were you, i'd just do that door defender thing. it may seem **** to others, but if you don't use it, and you get a ding, you'll be really mad and wished you had. it's your car, doesn't matter what other people say! it'll give you peace of mind during the day so you're not stressed out.

k
Old 9/17/06, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Covering the car every day at work is a little extreme IMO.

When I drive mine to work, I park in one of the last spots on the right in any row (there's a little island to the right, with grass in it). I park as far to the right in the spot as I can (butting up against the curb).

That leaves a lot of room to the left of my car and the car next to me... and also, since people don't typically carpool, the passenger door of the car next to me is typically not even opened.

People generally recognize this, and go out of their way not to ding it. It's been 2 years, and haven't had an incident.

From what I've seen, people that double-park or cover their cars are more likely to have some sort of incident (people lifting the cover to see what kind of car it is, vandalizing, etc.). It tends to make people upset (I know the double-parking upsets me... not that I'd do anything about it, but it's annoying).
Old 9/17/06, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by RMac
Covering the car every day at work is a little extreme IMO.

From what I've seen, people that double-park or cover their cars are more likely to have some sort of incident (people lifting the cover to see what kind of car it is, vandalizing, etc.). It tends to make people upset (I know the double-parking upsets me... not that I'd do anything about it, but it's annoying).
Agreed on the double-parking. Especiallyin our lot where every spot fills- I think thats rude. Plus- I'm the boss - so it would set a poor example....

I think I will try the door guard things. They are the best ones Ive seen in regards to protecting the finish of MY car... the suction cups ones or flexible magnetic ones seem like a problem waiting to happen.
Old 9/17/06, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

I cover mine every day. We have assigned parking and they are pretty good size spots. My cover is thick enough to stop dings(that's what I'm most worried about). Anything else usually comes out with a good waxing. If it makes you feel more secure about your car's well being, do it.
Old 9/17/06, 01:05 PM
GT Member

The parking garage for my building at work never fills up, so on the second to last floor there are several very nice vehicles people drive to work and park spaced away from each other. Though oddly, there is always this older looking beat up car that parks there too, and always parks in two spots.

One cool add-on my dealership offered was free door ding repairs for 3 years. They had a decent bundle with that and an extended warranty, so I ended up using the discount the XPlan had gotten me to ensure the car is covered from a lot of things.

Generally if you can, find some other nice cars to park next to. If another owner is taking care of his property so well, hopefully they will respect yours in the same way and avoid hitting it.
Old 9/17/06, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm retired, but when I was working I covered my car daily (even though at the time it wasn't a Mustang). The car that I covered daily at work looked almost new until the day I gave it to a relative of mine when it was 13 years old. It was a dark red 92 Pontiac Bonneville. The paint and interior looked like new. So the bottom line is if you want your car to stay new looking and you have to park it in the sun all day, COVER IT! Besides it also protects it from minor door dings. Of course I always parked my car on an end spot also. Now that I'm retired my 05 GT Mustang is always garaged if I'm not driving it. Enjoy your car.
Old 9/17/06, 01:27 PM
GT Member

Problem with the cover will be if it rains, and then you have to ball up that soggy, wet piece of crap and stick it ... where? In your trunk? That'll smell great... I also agree with the comment about people vandalizing the cars that draw attention. And putting a cover on it is sure to draw attention.

Might be tough to do, but the cover will probably end up being more work than it's worth. It's your call, but I'd bet you get pretty tired of it after a couple weeks. And then you're out the cash for the nice cover, which could have gotten you something else nice that would last longer.
Old 9/17/06, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

I ordered my '07 GT last week and even though I will be parking it in front of my house and 10 ft. from the front door of my office building, I WILL be covering it every day/night. Ordered a Alloy Grey and I don't want any part of the sun fading my paint or interior if it doesn't have to. So what if it gets wet during the rain--that's what a rubber trunk mats are for.
Old 9/17/06, 09:57 PM

I think if you are as **** about your car as I am you should look at buying a beater car. Thank goodness I have a company vehicle and a 97 F-150 to drive on rainy days and potential bad ares where the Stang could get messed up.
Old 9/18/06, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I think the door ding things will dissapear quickly. Park in the end spot on the right if possible. As suggested above. I also will park alot of times right next to the handi capped spot. A lot of times they don't get used at all. I hate door dings and people that will go out of their way to leave them on your car.
Old 9/18/06, 12:21 PM
GT Member

If you can't buy a beater, going with a car cover is a good idea. If it rains or snows on the cover, hopefully you have a place where you can unfold it and allow it to dry.

There's nothing wrong with trying to protect your car while you use it.
Old 9/18/06, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tuco
I have a Black one also, and I also drive it to work (although the spots I park in are OK). IMO, covering it at work and/or adding those side protectors it a bit too ****. It's a driven car, stuff will happen over time. Learn to live with it, is my thought.
bro i have had my car over a year and don`t have one ding on my car.my car is as mint as possible....and my car is a daliy driver....i go to shows and win because of how clean the car is....and they do ask ya sometimes if it is daily driven...so to get to my main point is you paid good money for a car .but never mind the money part....just think how much you had to work to have enough money to buy it....there is nothing wrong with treating your property extremely well........hey i have a car cover use it all the time.now i gotta find those door ding protectors......later.........
Old 9/18/06, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

My black 05 is my daily driver. Im still pretty ****, I park far away, under cover when i can, etc. But its hard to keep it perfect. I tried the covering thing but in the end it didnt work. you cant put the cover on if its raining already, and you have to be careful, a cover shouldnt be put on if the car is the least but dirty. as long as its a daily driver **** will happen. the best you can do is try and keep it at a minimum.
Old 9/18/06, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO that is extreme

there are people out there that seeing that will want to mess with your car more than they would if it was just parked
Old 9/18/06, 11:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the exact same problem where I work. Our parking lot is a NIGHTMARE... We have about twice as many cars as there are spots... so we actually have a valet park the cars.

The cars get double-parked behind each other and it's like a frickin tetris puzzle.

Honestly I used to agonize over it... I absolutely hated it. And I absolutely HATE letting a valet drive my car.

My solution? I started riding my bike to work.

Now I don't have to worry about the car, get exercise and have lost ten pounds... and I don't have the stress of sitting in LA traffic. I just ride by as they are all lined up and feel the wind on my face

Not to mention my gas bill is pretty much non-existent except for when I drive the Stang on the weekends.

Quick Reply: Crazy to cover new 'stang at work each day?