2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/04, 05:18 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of you who own convertibles..............I really really really want one! I Can wait, so not a problem. (Boogity Boogity, its a refreshment from the minivan parade!). Target date- summer 05.Going to the beach in a convertible!! Life will be goooooooood.

Questions:

Eleanor will be garage kept, but there will be some times when she is not:

Snow(If I travel to ny) Does snow screw up the top if it piles up on top? Same for heavy standing rain- does it roll off or collect? Does the roof hold up well?

Maintenance- what do you have to do to keep it looking new? Top will be black.

Safety- are they safe?

Racing stripes- look cool or :gay: with a vert?

Spoiler- delete or keep?

Anti theft- Someone won't slash the top to get my stuff right?

Rollovers- in the unlikely event- is there something to keep you from well......splitting your head open like a melon?
They may be stupid inquiries but I am genuinely curious.......
Old 11/23/04, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

April

I live in up-state NY and know about snow.....I store my '02 vert covered and outside all winter. The only thing I do is remove any heavy snow from the top after a hard snow storm. As far as rain the top is tight and the water runs right off the top with no pooling of any kind. To keep my top looking good all I do is make sure and give it a good washing every week when I do my car. Like I said my car is a 2002 and still looks looks new.

Racing stripes on a vert cool or not????? To be honest I will be getting a black vert with red interior, will be adding red racing stripes, and I thing the car will look great. Just talked to a good friend of my who is getting a yellow vert and will have black stripes. So if you want racing stripes get them.

Spoiler delete or keep...............sorry I an one of those guys who likes the spoiler so my car will have one....its up to you what you really like and everyone else can go to H E double hockey sticks.

Get the car you like and enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 11/23/04, 06:35 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I am just wondering if the stripes will look right with it being a vert and all- they cant go across the top like that.

Oh Lordy yes- ask my husband and my parents- I am about to go nuts for this car.Can't wait- and I get a convertible!!

Silver and silver and black with black stripes!!
Old 11/23/04, 07:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@November 23, 2004, 6:21 AM
Rollovers- in the unlikely event- is there something to keep you from well......splitting your head open like a melon?
A rollbar.
Old 11/23/04, 08:34 AM

as long as you get a black top the black stripes will look fine. If I got a vert. I would always match the stripes to the top. unles the car and the top were black. Then the sky's the limit. (no pun intended)
Old 11/23/04, 08:55 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by stangdreamer@November 23, 2004, 10:37 AM
as long as you get a black top the black stripes will look fine. If I got a vert. I would always match the stripes to the top. unles the car and the top were black. Then the sky's the limit. (no pun intended)
In my wildest dreams I would have a solid black car! Unfortunately it has to be a dream only
Alabama summer humidity would kill me..........And could you imagine the PITA upkeep on something like that?
Old 11/23/04, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

April

I ordered a vert also with the same plans as yourself (beach, mountains)

redfire, iup, icap, black top

I also am concerned regarding the racing stripes not looking right. I never have seen a stang of any year that was vert with stripes.

The new 05's have a motion sensor in them when the alarm is armed with the top up. The alarm will sound if there is any movement within the car.

The alarm needs to be set with the key fob for this to activate and not using the key in the door method.

Just make sure there are no pets or anything in the car like someone on another thread found out that tripped the alarm.

The tops are quite waterproof during hard rains it runs right off. There are also conditioning products for the tops to keep them fresh looking longer and helps prevent material drying out over time if the car is stored in bright sunlight for long periods.
Old 11/23/04, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@November 23, 2004, 6:21 AM
Anti theft- Someone won't slash the top to get my stuff right?
Slashing the top isn't much different than breaking a window if you have a coupe.

Although I'm somewhat biased I'd recommend the active anti theft option. It only works when the top is closed but will detect motion inside the car.
Old 11/23/04, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Racing stripes on a Vert, ...why not ???

I kinda go along with Bill (billstang), coordinating the stripe color with the interior will add bunches to the look. My '05 will be satin silver with either black stripes (to match the top) or dark charcoal (to match the leather), final decision TBD.

Can't sound off regarding snow load, but I can say I have had no problems maintaining my '02 black Vert top; ...mild soap solution and a darned good rinse is all I do (the only problem I have noticed is the back of my sun visors get a tad faded because my top is down most of the time (I just leave it in the garage when the weather threatens).

Hey Steve (6505pony), ...would you care to suggest any specific "conditioning products" you have had success with. Although I have yet to see a problem, I intend to "baby" the '05 and I would value your experience over label claims or advertisements.

And please, let's see pics of those Verts ASAP next spring !!!
Old 11/23/04, 10:33 AM
Queen Of Nascar

You already said you were getting a black top so thats good in my opinion. My dad had a burgandy 88GT with a white top and it NEVER looked clean. I had a 89 GT with a navy top and it was much much easier to keep clean as it did not show the ground in dirt as bad.
Old 11/23/04, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Slashing the top is definately different. I would much rather they break my window than slash my top. About 5 months ago i put a new white top on mine. it took me freaking all day and i don't want to have to do it again. It's a pain in the bottom. I can replace the window in a couple of hours.

Yes stripes will look good. think about putting them just on the hood and the top of the trunk. I always liked that look with the vert.

Also you don't need to worry about the top. It holds up very well. The reason i replaced mine is it because it was white and 8 years old. It just didn't look as new as the rest of the car. Since i put it on it only cost me about $250.
Old 11/23/04, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by stoic21@November 23, 2004, 11:41 AM
Slashing the top is definately different. I would much rather they break my window than slash my top. About 5 months ago i put a new white top on mine. it took me freaking all day and i don't want to have to do it again. It's a pain in the bottom. I can replace the window in a couple of hours.

Yes stripes will look good. think about putting them just on the hood and the top of the trunk. I always liked that look with the vert.

Also you don't need to worry about the top. It holds up very well. The reason i replaced mine is it because it was white and 8 years old. It just didn't look as new as the rest of the car. Since i put it on it only cost me about $250.
Wouldn't someone slashing your top/breaking window just be covered under your insurance and it would be professionally installed?
Old 11/23/04, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

my 65 has a black vinyl top and I have always been happy with Meguiar's products on my top

(this is simply my opinion not an endorsement)

they have some vinyl cleaners and UV protectors and conditioners
Old 11/23/04, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

When will they start building the verts (full production, I know some pre-production ones have been done)??

I thought they wouldn't be available until 06 MY which I would assume wouldn't start production until Aug/Sept 05 since Job 1 for the 05 was Sept this year. The wife is actually suggesting the vert now...I think she has plans to drive my ride to!!!

We've got young-uns though (9 and 6 years) and I'm a bit concerned with rollover protection ...even as unlikely as that is...
Old 11/23/04, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by GMAYS@November 23, 2004, 11:47 AM
When will they start building the verts (full production, I know some pre-production ones have been done)??

I thought they wouldn't be available until 06 MY which I would assume wouldn't start production until Aug/Sept 05 since Job 1 for the 05 was Sept this year. The wife is actually suggesting the vert now...I think she has plans to drive my ride to!!!

We've got young-uns though (9 and 6 years) and I'm a bit concerned with rollover protection ...even as unlikely as that is...
I believe Job 1 for verts in January 31, '05.
Old 11/23/04, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Vert Job 1 is scheduled for 1/31/2005.

The cold hard fact is rollover crashes are extremely dangerous in any vehicle. They are even more dangerous in convertibles. Usually a crash with enough energy to generate a rollover is a pretty high-speed or high-impact incident.

With that said, I just cannot live life taking the counsel of my fears every day. Otherwise, I'd just get up in the morning and crawl under the bed for the next 16 hours!

I'm getting a vert.
Old 11/23/04, 10:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jan 31...uh oh...I feel my world shifting...vert becomes possibility as I too am looking for a new ride by Summer '05. Hmmm....

Paris - I'm with you on the rollover issues...but I'm a Jeep guy too so I'm used to rollcages and some semblance of protection even for the rear seat passengers...thus the concern...but I agree...chances are slim and you can't always live in fear of the possibilities...
Old 11/23/04, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+November 23, 2004, 11:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ November 23, 2004, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stoic21@November 23, 2004, 11:41 AM

Wouldn't someone slashing your top/breaking window just be covered under your insurance and it would be professionally installed? [/b][/quote]
ohhhhhh.... touche`
Old 11/23/04, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Yes - see the vert in the near distance. . . Job 1 only a little over 2 months away. . . the vert is looking at you. . . the vert Z-folds it's top into a nice neat boot, like it is waving to you. . . the vert likes you. . .

Verts are good. Life is better with verts. Step up to the vert and pat it gently on the A-pillar. Listen to the engine rumble in appreciation. The vert likes you. . .

I have to stop now. I'm liking this too much.
Old 11/23/04, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The verts will begin production around Feb. On the Dealer lots around May. The only real rollover protection would be a roll bar that is certified by the NHRA. I have a light bar on my 02 while they state that it is not for roll over protection I think it would help a little at least. As far as the tops go mine has held up pretty good so far considering it is exposed to the elements 24/7. Besides wanting to mildew with all this blasted rain, I only have a couple of problems right at the points where the sides are attached to the frame the vinyl has pealed off in a little spot on each side and I have a scratch above the drivers door.

Quick Reply: Convertible question(s)