2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Considering a new Mustang? A new owners perspective (long)

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/06, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a new Mustang? A new owners' perspective (long)...

When I was considering buying a Mustang, these boards were invaluable to me. I'd go as far to say that I wouldn't be driving a Mustang if it weren't for the Mustang Source and the information everyone here provided. In that spirit, I thought I'd post a summary of my experience with my new Mustang in hopes of helping those on the fence.

First, some basic info:

Me: I provide this mostly to help others who may be in a similar life situation. I'm 40 (in two weeks ), married, two kids (6 years and 14 months). Grew up in a blue collar family in Philly, one of five kids. Neither parent graduated high school, so not much money growing up. Thus, although I suppose I could be considered "successful" career wise (eye doc), I understand the value of a dollar and am not one to part with my hard-earned cash without much research.

Car: 2006 Mustang GT Coupe Premium Auto. Delivered March 11, 2006, so I've had it for just over 6 months. Just turned 6,000 miles.

The Pre-Purchase Decision:

Financial - First off, if you're in the market for a Prius or other high mileage vehicle, the Mustang isn't for you. I wasn't. I wanted something stylish, comfortable, well built, and fun, but not excessive. Shooting for around $30,000 or so. I was looking at the base BMW 325 and Acura TSX. But, my first car was a ‘70 Mustang, and the new ones kept catching my eye. Being (almost) 40 () , insurance was a non-issue - about the same for all cars mentioned. Gas mileage was a concern coming from a 30 mpg Civic, but I was comfortable with mid-twenties if I could get a good price on a car.

Quality - I had already gone through and won lemon law with our 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. Thought I'd never buy another Ford product. But a couple things changed my mind:

1) Our replacement Mountaineer has had no issues at all – 60,000 miles.

2) I did months of research online in this forum and others, and was surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reviews regarding fit and finish and overall mechanical quality. Most of the problems were easily repaired and mainly due to new model year bugs.

3) Decided if I could get a good deal on an extended warranty, I'd feel better.

Kids - I originally intended on a four door (two young kids), but decided that since we have an SUV as the main kid mover, the Mustang would only be used occasionally for that. In addition, I test drove with my family, car seat and all, and it seemed doable for occasional use.

V6 vs. GT - Once I decided on the Mustang it came down to either the GT Coupe or the V6 Convertible - about the same cost. I realized I'm not a ‘vert guy and it was really my wife who wanted it. I wanted for once in my life to own a powerful car and have some fun. As far as mpg, 3 mpg difference was negligible for me (maybe $200/year - I'd just blow it on something else anyway). And the test drive sealed it. With the V6, I said "hey, pretty quick and rides nice". With the GT, I said nothing - just smiled alot.

Intangibles - I'm not one to place too much value on a car as a lifestyle choice, but this little voice in my head kept saying "Life is short and hard. You only live once - have some fun and get what you REALLY want before it's too late". I'm in a position right now to afford what I REALLY want without sacrificing college savings, retirement savings, etc. Who knows if/when life's gonna throw me a curve ball and change that?

The Ownership Experience:

Financial - I saved a few thousand over the base BMW and the Acura, thus justifying the reduced gas mileage compared to the others. (The difference between 22 mpg (my average) and 30 per year based on 15,000 miles and $3 gallon is only about $600). I bought it at invoice (ordered from the factory) - it can be done. Just be patient, polite, and persistent. It helps to buy in December, particularly 12/31 as I did (although the whole process started in August – all by email). Also, I bought the extended warranty for about $800 (6 year/75,000 mile ExtraCare - normal price was about $1200.). Again, it can be done. I just told them I'd finance through Ford only if they gave me the warranty for $700, otherwise I'd go through Eloan (and I meant it). They said $800 I said sold. I even got them to throw in two free oil changes since their rates were .25 higher than eloan (about $60 over 4 years). Do your math and be prepared and you'll usually get want you want. To be honest, I had already decided that I'd buy the car even if I didn't buy the extended warranty - I'd just put $800 aside for future repairs.

One thing to not take lightly financially- the CONSTANT urge to buy cool new mods is always there. There are SO many after market products available to personalize this car, more than any other car out there. I would HIGHLY suggest you budget for this, as it's addicting and VERY FUN. I've already spent at least $500 (custom tune, interior upgrades) with more coming (clear bra, blackout panel, chin spoiler). Better make sure you and your spouse allow each other some personal money in the budget. Buy Quicken or Microsoft Money to keep track and be fair to each other. If you can't afford the mods, then stay away from these forums!

Quality - mostly very good. Ride quality, handling, fit & finish, power - all excellent. No major rattles, squeaks. I did put some foam tape under the door handle plate and the fuse box panel, but that's it and no rattles since. I have two issues currently - rear-end whine at highway speed (not loud, just there), and creaking front end over some bumps. Both issues are known to Ford and are repairable, which will happen in a couple weeks when I take it in. I expect any new car to have some issues, so this doesn't concern me. My Honda needed a new tranny at 10,000 miles, so I've learned to expect anything from any manufacturer.

Kids - Actually better than I thought. I drove my 6 YO to summer camp every day, and it was no problem. And she LOVES the car (daddy, can we take the Mustang?) She's actually become quite the Mustang expert, often spotting them on the road and pointing them out to me before I notice them. The only pain is installing a car seat and actually getting the baby in it and strapped in. I wouldn't want to do that everyday, but as an occasional occurrence I'll put up with it as one of the costs of owning the car I really wanted.

Intangibles - This is the kicker. This is more than just a car to me. It's a hobby, a stress reliever, a constant work in progress, a reflection of who I am. That may sound a bit over the top, but it's true. With two young kids, a hectic career, a house, wife, etc - finding time to have a self identity outside of those things can be tough. I love golf, but we're talking 5-6 hours a pop, which is not always easy and only once a week. I love music and play guitar, but it's not easy to switch from daddy mode or doctor mode into free-spirit creative mode - you just can't schedule creativity. So, the Mustang gives me something that I can take pride in, take care of, improve, enjoy, without always spending hours doing so. It's FUN coming to these forums and seeing the possibilities available for performance, appearance, etc. It's FUN getting that package in the mail and putting on you new A/C ***** or engine cover. It's FUN reflashing the computer and feeling instant results. It's FUN washing and detailing the car, then standing back and enjoying the fruits of your labor. All of those things only take a few minutes, couple hours tops (washing). So now, I have non-daddy, non-husband, non-doctor, non-homeowner, personal fun time throughout the week, not just weekends. And as a bonus, I can share that time with my family as well if they're interested, as my daughter is. She helped me install the engine cover. She always helps me wash the car every weekend. As mentioned, she's eager to point out other Mustangs. It's very cool. (Maybe it's because I told her it will be her car when she turns 16). And it's also nice to do something YOU like with your kids every now and then, as opposed to doing what THEY like constantly (barbies anyone?).

But mostly, it's just fun driving again. Even my wife says working Saturdays is a bit more tolerable because she gets to take the Stang to work. And she's the one encouraging me to get all those mods I want - axle-back mufflers, chin spoiler, etc. Who'da thunk?

So in summary - since buying the stang, no regrets, life is richer, sex is more intense, I'm regrowing hair, I have super-human strength, I just signed a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, and I'm opening for Radiohead next year.

Just buy it!

Attachment 9384

Attached Thumbnails Considering a new Mustang? A new owners perspective (long)-stang8.jpg  
Old 9/14/06, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the very interesting post, I appreciate you took your time to write it.
I own a 2005 Mustang GT, auto as well, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 9/14/06, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

ROTF that was a great post! 2 of my fav quotes from it..."With the V6, I said "hey, pretty quick and rides nice". With the GT, I said nothing - just smiled alot." and "So in summary - since buying the stang, no regrets, life is richer, sex is more intense, I'm regrowing hair, I have super-human strength, I just signed a contract with the Phildelphia Eagles, and I'm opening for Radiohead next year."
Really great read
Old 9/14/06, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

That was a good write up, as far as mods go. All i have done is put BFG KDWS 255/50/17s on. Mirror inserts, now my only problem is...my next mod could be a new Shelby GT, if they are not over 35,000 or so.
Old 9/14/06, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Great post - great choice of color. I'm 52 and my wife and I drive a lot. Couldn't be happier with our 06 GT.
Old 9/14/06, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

I don't think anybody on the forum has stated the emotional reasons for purchasing a new Mustang any better than you have. You deserve to own and drive a fine car, and have obviously worked hard and sacrificed to get to this point in your life and career. Congratulations!! You're also blessed to have a supporting wife who understands the whole guy-car relationship. If it were only money we'd all be driving boring economy car, but ownership of a fine car is not quantifiable in monetary terms. It is your respite, as it is for most enthusiasts.

I'll buy into your essay, but only up to the summary line
Old 9/14/06, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks all for the kind words.

Originally Posted by lodom
I'll buy into your essay, but only up to the summary line
Pity. I was gonna give free Radiohead backstage passes and free 50 yard line tickets to the 5th person who responded to my post. Oh well.
Old 9/14/06, 03:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You hit the nail on the head. There is an intangible about this car that I cannot describe. Your post is very good and although our situations differ slightly, In not 40 yet, no kids, I feel like you and I are very similar and feel the same about our cars.

I was thinking of writing something here to explain just how much I love this car and how, after having a couple stinker American cars in the family, this car has exceeded my expectations on quality, fit and finish and of course FUN.

Now back to the mods section, I feel some axlebacks calling my name.
Old 9/14/06, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Really great post, Rich. Informative and fun. I can identify with a lot of what you said, as I am older also (over 60 ) but get the same "kick" out of my new GT/CS as you do. I had a 2001 Bullitt previously, sold it thinking I was "done" with that kind of car, and found out that I wasn't "done" at all. Got my GT/CS Vert a month ago, and loving every minute.

Thanks for your neat post.
Old 9/14/06, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Good post, you do a good job describing the quality and sheer joy that comes with the mustang.

It's not so much a car that you carefully decide on after comparing stats a spreadsheet, but a car you fall in love with.
Old 9/14/06, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I really enjoyed reading your post, Rich. Just about all of your comments are right on the money, too. As a transplanted South Jerseyite, I have to add E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!
Old 9/14/06, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Good post!

My experience was somewhat different than your but I can still relate. First Mustang I test drove was a GT. I think during that test drive I saw 12 police cars on the road! Second test drive was a Mineral Grey V6 coupe. I drove it like I stole it... no PD hiding in the bushes... no issues with the get-up-and-go of that V6 manual!

... and that V6 coupe has been my primary ride ever since!!
Old 9/14/06, 04:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great post Rich

I passed the same fork in the road you did, GT coupe or 4.0 'vert and turned the other way (I guess that makes me a convertible guy).

Your comments about it being more that a car and a great hobby/stress reliever I couldn't agree with more
Old 9/14/06, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good read .... I make excuses to drive someplace so I can take the Mustang for a ride!
Old 9/14/06, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome post Rich! That was fun to read. I especially like the intangibles section. I never thought of the Mustang as a hobby, but now that you point out that it is, I totally agree with that. Driving anywhere is an event to be savored with the Mustang.

We have a lot in common too - I'm also in the older, er, more mature crowd; play guitar (mostly for my own enjoyment); have kids; and considered a BMW 3-series before settling on the Mustang. But one major difference: I never, ever considered the V6. No offense to those who own them, as they pretty much have the power equivalent of my '95 GT, but I knew all along it was V8 or nothing for me. In fact, I liked everything about the BMW 330Ci I test drove, except it was missing that low-end rpm kick that the V8 Mustang delivers.

I've had muscle cars since I started driving, so this is nothing new to me really. The only thing that's really changed is the refinement - in the old days, they did one thing really well, and that was to plant you back in the seat while going in a straight line. Now, they do that even better, as well as handle and brake at levels never before imagined. And now they have that 5th gear to slip into on the highway ride home, that lets you get 24 mpg. With the death of the Camaro/Firebird, and the Charger/Challenger not quite out in '04 when I bought the car, and after eliminating the BMW from consideration - really there was no other option for me other than the Mustang.

I work in an office where there are a lot of nice cars, like Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Volvo, 350z, S2000, etc., and a lot of my co-workers wouldn't be caught dead in my Mustang. It's yellow. And I can understand that - it is the loudest-looking car in the parking lot. But the real car guys at work all appreciate what it can do, performance-wise, and what a performance bargain it really is. It's quite crude compared to those other cars for sure, but its rawness is part of the appeal. It has one purpose, and it's quite obvious about it.

Oh, and did I mention that I have 12,000 miles on it now, and it has not been back to the dealer once? Not a single problem yet.

I'm with ya, couldn't recommend the car more highly.
Old 9/14/06, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Talking

I think my driving experience in the Mustang might be compared to those I hear talk about what its like to hit the road on motorcyles. The feeling makes you forget everything else as you seem to become one with the road. I have had my mustang just over a year now and enjoy getting into in almost like the first day. Funny thing is my husband just does not understand it he thinks I am obsessed with it. Maybe I am.
Old 9/14/06, 07:12 PM

Fantastic post! It scares me a bit, though... only because I feel like I'm peering into the looking glass, considering I am currently a 4th year med student, still single, and in debt (tuition, books, apartment, etc.) up to my freaking eyeballs. The only reason I'm considering buying a Mustang is because I can get everything I need (i.e. all the $$$) from the sale of my current car and all its mods, and that I know I will be fighting off this already pre-existing, ridiculous debt for years to come, and dammit, if I'm going to hemorrhage money, let me ENJOY it. Lol! Too bad I'm not going into ophtho, though.... I've chosen general practice (in Canada, that means family med + an option which is one of ER or OB or Anaesthesia).

Again, terrific post.
Old 9/14/06, 08:05 PM

Ahhh, how I love Windveil Blue
Old 9/14/06, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Excellent post - and you are 100% right about the emotional quality of the car.

G/F screws up her nose and rolls her eyes at my excitement at receiving a package at the door step, and can't understand why I would be like a kid on Christmas morning - tossing the box in a corner, grabbing the mod, and running to the garage!

Also, if I am feeling down, nothing will bring a smile to my face as fast as dropping the top and going for a ride at extralegal speeds. The rumble of the engine is enough to brighten even my darkest day.

Thanks for expressing what we all feel so eloquently.
Old 9/15/06, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent post Rich

You & your family now offically have the "Fevor"

Quick Reply: Considering a new Mustang? A new owners perspective (long)