2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Connections on the Factory Stereo to use an Ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/04, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search and found a somewhat similar thread but it didnt answer my question. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the 05 Shaker 500 system would have a port to plug an Ipod into it. I really dont want to lug around a bunch of burned CD's ith mp3s. So if it has this ability then great. If not I may want to have an Alpine stereo put in or something. I read that they have stereos available for connection with Ipods. Also does anyone know of any goos Windows based MP3 players just as good or can u transfer MP3 files from a Windows PC to an Ipod? Not sure since I've never read up on or gotten one!

As far as getting a new stereo if necessary, then are there certain conditions involved in whether or not an Alpine stereo can be placed into a dash? I would be concerned about how much installers would have to take the dash area apart.

Lastly, would the sound quality be the same when playing music in the car thru the Ipod?
Old 7/14/04, 05:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

MP3 are not as good sound quality as CD's. Check TechTV Screensaver sight for more MP3 info as far as transfers Players etc.
Old 7/14/04, 05:28 PM

Yes I just asnwered my can u transfer from a Windows PC to Ipod. Yes u can.

So back to my main question, I understand that a store bought CD will sound better but I dont listen to or have CDs. the only music i listen to is stored on my computer. I would rather just plug an Ipod into the car rather than burn or purchase any CDs.
Old 7/14/04, 06:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Even if you can't there is an adapter that plugs into the Ipod and broadcast on a free FM channel.
Old 7/14/04, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Ok, It looks like the 05 has a Double-DIN Radio. Aftermarket radios usually come in single-DIN...so that means there is room to install a radio and something else(DVD, CD changer, etc.). If you are willing to do a little splicing, it is possible to make some connections to hook an Ipod to the stereo(alot of VW guys did this with their radios, as the CD changer made an easy place to splice the wires into...)

I would have to look at a backside of the radio, but it shouldn't be much of a hassle, if you have messed with electronics before...

(As a side-note, I have an Xbox hooked up in my Jetta, and I did the entire install myself...better than a CD changer, and you can watch movies!)

And another sidenote, above 128kbps MP3s are pretty much the same quality as CDs
Old 7/14/04, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@July 14, 2004, 6:38 PM
And another sidenote, above 128kbps MP3s are pretty much the same quality as CDs
agreed. they're supposed to be CD quality. or at least little enough of a difference to be noticed. if the CD is ripped correctly, then it is a digital to digital transfer. there shouldn't be much if any of a loss in quality. i'm sure w/ a lower bitrate they can get pretty nasty sounding though.
Old 7/14/04, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Its a personal preference...most songs I can handle at 96kbps, but some are so complex they need around 256kbps...ok, maybe not that high, but ya get the idea...
Old 7/14/04, 07:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@July 14, 2004, 7:08 PM
Its a personal preference...most songs I can handle at 96kbps, but some are so complex they need around 256kbps...ok, maybe not that high, but ya get the idea...
jebus 256k...that's mega filesize. i'm pretty sure all of mine are 128...and i can't wait to get a few disks ready to go for the 05. w00t!
Old 7/14/04, 07:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Greywolf@July 14, 2004, 7:16 PM
Even if you can't there is an adapter that plugs into the Ipod and broadcast on a free FM channel.
yup

As for quality, I used to use 256(cd quality) But using variable rate is just as good and much more size-efficient. A variable rate averages about the same file size as a 160kbs quality file, but is much more clear.
Old 7/14/04, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like the head unit on the 05 mustang is the exact same one on the new F150s and Focuses. I guess you would have to find someone who tried to do it on thier car.

As for putting in an aftermarket head unit. you would have enough room to put in 2 components in the dash, and most aftermarket units have extra aux inputs on the back, and some on the front. If they were on the back, you could just buy a cable that connects to the back of head unit, and run it into the glove box, centre console, or whatever, and connect the ipod to that.

Does anybody know if the head units on the new fords have an aux input on the back?
Old 7/14/04, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by friedmaster@July 14, 2004, 8:37 PM
It looks like the head unit on the 05 mustang is the exact same one on the new F150s and Focuses. I guess you would have to find someone who tried to do it on thier car.

Does anybody know if the head units on the new fords have an aux input on the back?
Yep, same units, at least on the F-150...any of our dealer guys willing to check in the service bays to see how these things look on the backside...
Old 7/14/04, 09:40 PM
GT Member

Give it time. I'm hoping they come out with this thing for the '05s:

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?opti...d=375&Itemid=79

On the BMW models you can even control the iPod via the steering wheel audio controls.
Old 7/14/04, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

How about an on-board turntable? Mmmm. The sweet organic sounds of vinyl would be wonderful with the windows down in an '05. We'd just have to get past the skipping issues.

To the main question, I think BMW is the only company offering that option. However, file CDs can hold a ton of music. So, it's not a bad trade. I was ecstatic when I learned that it would have the mp3 technology because I would've been more than happy with a single-disc "music CD only" player.
Old 7/14/04, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by will@July 14, 2004, 10:37 PM
How about an on-board turntable? Mmmm. The sweet organic sounds of vinyl would be wonderful with the windows down in an '05. We'd just have to get past the skipping issues.

To the main question, I think BMW is the only company offering that option. However, file CDs can hold a ton of music. So, it's not a bad trade. I was ecstatic when I learned that it would have the mp3 technology because I would've been more than happy with a single-disc "music CD only" player.
so the shaker can read cd-rw files or what? is it different from just burning a cd? I mean it's like loading a ton of files on a data cd and the shaker being able to read them as long as their mp3's?
Old 7/15/04, 12:01 AM
V6 Member

Exactly. Instead of burning an audio CD, your software should have an option for a data CD. You put the mp3s separately (just dragging a folder won't work) on a CD and the player will recognize them. You'll be able to fit a whole lot more music on a CD this way.
Old 7/15/04, 01:00 AM
Cobra R Member

here's an article saying that apple is looking to get the ipod thing going with more than just bmw:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/0...t=1089848708000

the ipod doesn't use mp3, it uses AAC, so if you download itunes (free at probably www.itunes.com or something) then you can convert mp3s to AACs and put that onto your ipod.
Old 7/15/04, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by will@July 14, 2004, 10:37 PM

Alpine currently makes stereos (or whatever) that can connect to the Ipod. I might just get the factory swiched for an Alpine. I just dont want some installer taking my dash apart. :nono:
Old 7/15/04, 05:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by will@July 15, 2004, 12:04 AM
Exactly. Instead of burning an audio CD, your software should have an option for a data CD. You put the mp3s separately (just dragging a folder won't work) on a CD and the player will recognize them. You'll be able to fit a whole lot more music on a CD this way.
actually folders will work.

quote from the mustang quick refrence guide:

MP3 TRACK/FOLDER MODE
Available only on MP3 discs in CD mode. Press to go into MP3 foder mode. Press again to access previous/next folder
so you can drag your mp3s on to a disk in foders...organized by artist, genre, whatever, and browse and play them that way. if you have a disk of artist X, you can have all of their albums divided up and just listen to one at a time. instead of having 200+ tracks that you would have to look through if you're trying to find a specific song.

i think i would do a lil of both. it'll be nice to put in a disk, just hit play, and not here the same song for a loooooooooong time.

Old 7/15/04, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anybody know if the head unit amplifies, and the speakers are attached to it? or if the head unit just sends out the signal to the amplifier somewhere else in the car, and that splits it up to each speaker?
Old 7/15/04, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Now that is a cool feature! I was already excited about 6 cd in-dash. Looks like I'll be trying to organize my songs into better groups to take advantage of the folder option.

Quick Reply: Connections on the Factory Stereo to use an Ipod?