Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about OEM hood scoop...

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/07, 02:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about OEM hood scoop...

Why is this piece of plastic so expensive? Does anyone have one they want to sell me? Anyone want to trade hoods in so cal? Can someone *KC, hint, hint* give me a better price?

http://www.carmosaic.com/ford-mustan...roducts_id=268

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/mus...ood-scoop.html

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=2
Old 10/5/07, 02:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n00bstang
Why is this piece of plastic so expensive? Does anyone have one they want to sell me? Anyone want to trade hoods in so cal? Can someone *KC, hint, hint* give me a better price?

You can look here but KC probable has the best price!! www.partscheap.com
Old 10/5/07, 04:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by n00bstang

Dude, it's not just a piece of plastic! Otherwise, you wouldn't be wanting one so bad. Expect to pay at least $210-220 shipped from KC, and it's worth it! Then, you've got to get it painted, which is more expense.
Old 10/5/07, 08:12 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Im not a big fan of non functional hood scoops. I felt like it sorta hindered the vision from the drivers seat some. I'll put the CDC concept hood on mine, cuz it looks awesome, and I beieve it's functional.
Old 10/5/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

A whole hood is kinda expensive :/
I really like the look of the OEM hood scoop.
Old 10/5/07, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey n00bstang,

I have a Ford OEM scoop that I had taken off of my car three months ago....it's in perfect condition, though it's painted satin silver. If you're interested I'll sell it for $75.00 plus whatever it costs to ship it to ya. It has the hardware attached, however I don't have a template for it since it came as an upgrade package when I bought my car in June. Sold 11/13/07
I ended up replacing it with the one you have in the 2nd link that you had posted (because I liked the look of that one better).
Old 10/5/07, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
sounds like a good deal!...someone take it!
Old 10/27/07, 02:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

whoa where was i?
Old 10/27/07, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052
Hey n00bstang,

I have a Ford OEM scoop that I had taken off of my car three months ago....it's in perfect condition, though it's painted satin silver. If you're interested I'll sell it for $75.00 plus whatever it costs to ship it to ya. It has the hardware attached, however I don't have a template for it since it came as an upgrade package when I bought my car in June.
I ended up replacing it with the one you have in the 2nd link that you had posted (because I liked the look of that one better). PM me if interested.
Hey Mark,

I was looking at the SLP scoop and I see it's stick-on as opposed to bolt-on. How long have you had it on and how is it holding up?
Old 10/27/07, 04:58 PM
GT Member

How many horses are you guys getting out of those "scoops"?
Old 10/27/07, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Hey Mark,

I was looking at the SLP scoop and I see it's stick-on as opposed to bolt-on. How long have you had it on and how is it holding up?
The SLP scoop has been holding up fine. It's primarily taped down, but there are two studs at the front points that secure it to the hood as well. If you're looking for a hood scoop that you won't have to drill into the hood with, this is not the one. Like I said, because of the studs, you have to drill two holes for it to be secured. The directions for mounting did mention that the studs could be cut off for a "tape only" installation, however for the 2005+ Mustang they recommended that it be secured with the studs and nuts. My hood already had holes in it from the OEM scoop, so two more had to be drilled for this scoop too .
Old 10/27/07, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 347strokin
Can't say that I've gotten any horses out of my "scoop" but I have gotten a few horse flys off of it.
Old 10/27/07, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

While I would much prefer to have a functional hood scoop, a la CDC, I don't have the guts or the mechanical inclinations (read, tools) to cut a hole in my hood and chop up the intake system, thus causing a plethora of warranty problems for the 3/36K period of my warranty.

In the meantime, for a meager option price, I think it was around $200-$250, the fake hood adds a helluva lot of muscle to the front end, especially with the GT/CS fascia, IMHO...

I am digging it and think it solves the aesthetic problem created by the 05-06 base hood, which has all the character of a garage door.
Old 10/27/07, 09:56 PM
V6 Member

I bought a hood scoop off e-bay that was suppose to be painted and ready to install but when I got it, it had been painted with spray can's. The scoop is in perfect condition, other that the screwed up paint. I think all it would need is to be sanded and painted to match your car. I would be willing to sell it for $50.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested. It is made by Xenon.
Old 10/28/07, 07:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 347strokin
More than you get out of your 20's?
Old 10/28/07, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
More than you get out of your 20's?
hahaha very true!
Old 10/28/07, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052
The SLP scoop has been holding up fine. It's primarily taped down, but there are two studs at the front points that secure it to the hood as well. If you're looking for a hood scoop that you won't have to drill into the hood with, this is not the one. Like I said, because of the studs, you have to drill two holes for it to be secured. The directions for mounting did mention that the studs could be cut off for a "tape only" installation, however for the 2005+ Mustang they recommended that it be secured with the studs and nuts. My hood already had holes in it from the OEM scoop, so two more had to be drilled for this scoop too .
Thanks Mark, I'm not necessarily looking for one that you don't need to drill holes but if there was one I might be interested. I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling holes in my hood and I'm not crazy about spending the $$$ it takes for a whole hood with scoop.

I like the OEM scoop just wish it was functional.

My biggest hood problem however is the fluuter at speed that still get even after having the dealer adjust it.
Old 10/28/07, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your welcome Kelly. Yeah, I hear you about the functionality of the scoop. I'm actually planning on doing the GT500 conversion on my car and with that I'll be switching to a hood that has air intake functionality. If I keep on going like this pretty soon I'll have enough spare parts in my garage to build another Mustang I'd keep after your dealership to straighten that out, I'm assuming "at speed" you're meaning 60-70mph?? It shouldn't be doing that. Even my car with the "wind catcher" on the hood doesn't flutter.
Old 10/28/07, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why is everyone so afraid to drill holes in their car? If you want the car to look the way you want it to then go for it. I have holes all over my car from add-ons and don't regreat drilling any of them.
Old 10/29/07, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL, you're absolutely correct, we shouldn't be afraid. But I think it's just the idea of putting holes in something that we treasure that creates a certain anxiety about it. Theres always that thought running through the back of your head...."I hope I don't mess this up". At least that is my take on it anyway.

Quick Reply: Confused about OEM hood scoop...