2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Complaint to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/05, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuesday, 17 May, 2005

The actual purchase of the vehicle was fine. Dealing with the finance department was another matter.

You have to understand that like most mustang enthusiasts I have researched this vehicle since it was first advertised on your site in January 2004. When I first went to the dealership to inquire about the 2005 Mustang the dealership had no information other than what I provide from the net directly from Brad’s Mustang Source including both the American and Canadian price list directly from Brad’s site.

In doing so I knew exactly what I was looking for in options, price, government tax etc. When the New Vehicle Confirmation Order was printed up it showed as follows;

T80 V6 Coupe $22261.00 T3A P215 nc
Fed Excise Tax 100.00 14A Anti Theft 260
P3 Windveil Blue 18G IUP 471
Dark Charcoal 425 50 state Em nc
110A Order Code 552 Handling pkg 876.00
99N 4.0L SOHC V6 nc 11 US Gallons 35.00
44L 5 Spd auto trns 1073.00 Dst & Del 995.00
Base & Options 26071.00

Why could the data processing fee not be included in this list? All the above items in the VCO were explained by the salesman. Why not the data processing fee?

The experience with the salesman and the sales manager were great. Both of these gentlemen were very concerned about the delivery date considering the impending lawsuit over the IUP issue. When 1ZVFTB0N455199301 finally did arrive at the dealership the staff was most helpful to ensure that I was in the new mustang asap.

With this purchase I gave the dealership a $13,000.00 down payment and had the rest finance through the bank. So the vehicle (X Plan Pricing) was $26071.00 + 2 % for a total of $26592.42 and with 7% GST the total came to $28453.99.

So the day that I came in to make the final arrangements for the vehicle I came in to the dealership with a cheque from the bank for $15,453.99. Only to be told by the finance department that I actually owed $15,680. The additional amount of money was for the Data Processing Fee and this is a fee or purpose that the dealership could not explain other than it was on their computer in the finance department and had to be paid. So I had to make a phone call to the bank to increase the amount of the loan to cover this additional amount. Even the bank could not believe that there was such an animal as a data processing fee!

In addition to the fee the finance department tried to sell me an oil change package of $1500.00 for four years. I explained to the finance staff that as I have a business (as well as working at CN Rail) and that if I need an oil change this will be covered as a business expense. Then there was some concern that I was not having paint protection done by the dealership when I told the finance department this was being done elsewhere by professionals that actually does paint protection as there only business the look I got was not great. Finally I was told that the dealership could have gotten me a better finance deal than my bank. If this is the case one tends to wonder if there is a communication breakdown between the sales staff and the finance department.

As soon as I gave the salesman my $2000.00 deposit on 25 September, 2004 then a new customer file should have been created with a note to offer this customer such and such financing options when the vehicle was delivered if the dealership has such great financing options available.

In January 2000, I bought a Ford Lease Back, a 1998 Taurus at that time the interest rate offered by the dealership was ¾% more than my bank and it was the bank at that time the called me to let me know once the credit report flashed across the bank manager’s screen. Since that time I have always dealt with the bank. If the dealership or Ford of Canada wants the finance business for new vehicles then both the dealership and Ford of Canada have to let the customer know of these options as soon as possible preferably before the new vehicle arrives on the dealers lot.

If you talk to the dealership about this their comeback will be well what is he complaining about he got X Plan pricing as a result of working for CN Rail (Ford Partner).

The dealership, especially the finance department is missing the point…..customers shop around for the best price including any add on’s and also an informed customer is a happy customer and normally a repeat customer.

I have gotten a total of five vehicles from this dealership of which three were leases, one was a lease back purchase and now my new mustang purchase. I am not a stranger to this dealership and the staff that have been around know me. You would think by now that these add on fees could be explained a little better.

I will continue to buy Ford Products. The new mustang is great and Ford should be congratulated for its creation. Ford Finance though either by the dealership or Ford of Canada needs a little work.

Best regards,

Ray Spencer
Old 5/17/05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:scratch:
Old 5/17/05, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

if it was x plan. I dont think they can charge extra fees like that.
Old 5/17/05, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

X-Plan clearly states that no other fees can be added to the cost of the vehicle.
Old 5/17/05, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

The data processing fee, if it's the same as the fee I got charged, is from the dealership, not from Ford. That's why it's not on the Order Confirmation.

The paperwork fee at my dealership, which is called the DOC (who knows what it means?), cost $195. My salesman did tell me about it when I gave him the deposit, however, so it wasn't a surprise.

The fee is pretty bogus if you ask me. There was a sign at my dealership explaining what the fee is for, and it included a list of about 6 things. Three of them didn't apply to me, such as trade-in estimate, license transfer fee, etc., but the fee was still $195. :notnice:
Old 5/17/05, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

The DOC stands for documentation fee which varies by dealer. It is just another way for the dealer to build in some extra profit. In some cases when the dealer really wants to sell something you can have it waived by simply refusing to complete the purchase unless it is dropped. With the Mustang the dealers play "hardball" and you either pay it or pass as a general rule.
Normal DOC fees in Edmonton are $195 at most Ford stores. Ray, which dealer did you buy from?
Old 5/17/05, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Doc fee in NY is limited by law to $45 and can't be charged on plans