2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cobra best buys

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/09 | 08:16 AM
GT Member

Cobra best buys

Has anyone noticed, but Shelby's are starting to get "affordable" for us young guys! Where do those old guys on Mecum auto auction get $100K+ to blow on a vintage Mustang Shelby's! Low mileage 07 Shelbys (It seems like all Shelbys have been babied and not driven!) are appearing online in the low $30s. I am thinking about trading up my 05 GT (38K/perfect/stock) . . . .. . WHat do you guys think? The 07 Shelby's will down to ~$25 . .. . . .but my 05 GT will be lower also . . . . . . . . Trade now, or next year?
Old 12/26/09 | 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Those "Old" guys played their cards right at an early age and retired like my dad will in a few years. I don't think you will see many GT500s below 25k anytime soon unless they have had the crap kicked out of them. Look how long it took the 03-04 Terminators to drop in price.

I mean the 2010 GT500s took a bit of a bite out of the 07-09s, but they still demand a premium for their namesake.

I say keep your car a while longer and see what the market has in store.

Last edited by GONE_N_60; 12/26/09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12/26/09 | 11:54 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

I've seen a few GT500's in the low-low 30's locally with low miles. I just can't see spending more than 35k on a GT500, whether or not the mileage is low. Then again, I could never justify buying one new either. I suppose to me, the overall package just isn't worth paying for the name. I'd rather go out and pick up a 370Z or something for the same price, but new.
Old 12/26/09 | 12:08 PM
GT Member

I was thinking about an 04 Cobra . . . . . I have been seeing them for ~25K . . . . . . . . but I already have an 01 bullitt . . . . . . I need variety in my life! Hopefully, I will be one of those guys at Mecum in 25 years . . . . retired and spending six figures on cars!
Old 12/26/09 | 12:11 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Like the Supra market, the Termi market fell a bit with the economy, but not AS bad as the Supras did. If you search hard enough you can find one closer to 20k with low mileage in good condition. Or if you're not too worried about having a bit of mileage(still at, or just beneath average for a year) and maybe a scratch or two, you can get one for under 20k.

There is a local guy selling a Termi with low mileage and a bunch of mods for 20k. Other than it having different wheels, its a very, very well taken care of car.

Last edited by Antigini-GT/CS; 12/26/09 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12/26/09 | 12:52 PM
GT Member

I just a thought . . . .

2011 GT - +400HP - $27K new - (are all GTs getting the 5.0???)
2004 Cobra +400HP - $25K used -

Am I missing something??
Old 12/26/09 | 01:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I've seen a few GT500's in the low-low 30's locally with low miles. I just can't see spending more than 35k on a GT500, whether or not the mileage is low. Then again, I could never justify buying one new either. I suppose to me, the overall package just isn't worth paying for the name. I'd rather go out and pick up a 370Z or something for the same price, but new.
Excuse me??? but you would rather have a NISSAN than a Mustang? Lol . . . .. . I wouldn't be suprised if you lose your registration on this forum! Lol . . . . .speaking of Japanese cars . . . . . .I saw a guy a couple of days ago race my Bullitt with a Mitsubishi Starion (or Chrysler Conquest) . . . . . . It wasn't that slow!
Old 12/26/09 | 01:05 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Originally Posted by lsanch33
2011 GT - +400HP - $27K new - (are all GTs getting the 5.0???)
2004 Cobra +400HP - $25K used -

Am I missing something??

Its just demand for the product. A good example that i'm familiar with is the Supra. A twin turbo, 6 speed manual will go for 30k+ and its not unlikely to find one for 40k. There is currently one on the market all stock, tt, 6 speed manual with a very rare color that is around the 45k neighborhood. It has low mileage, but it just goes to show that a car with enough demand can command very close to the sticker price from over ten years ago. The Terminator has a great history even though it isn't very old and is absolutely one of the "great" Mustangs because of what its done and what it is capable of. The demand will exist for this car, so the price will remain constant.
Old 12/26/09 | 01:08 PM
GT Member

Good analysis professor!
Old 12/26/09 | 01:21 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Excuse me??? but you would rather have a NISSAN than a Mustang? Lol . . . .. . I wouldn't be suprised if you lose your registration on this forum! Lol . . . . .speaking of Japanese cars . . . . . .I saw a guy a couple of days ago race my Bullitt with a Mitsubishi Starion (or Chrysler Conquest) . . . . . . It wasn't that slow!

Maybe just a ban for a few days. I've always tried to keep the mindset of "I appreciate all cars, though I don't always agree". I think its a good balance, especially since I have to deal with a lot of import owners and its always a good idea to know what the strengths of other vehicles are. I have NEVER appreciated the extra cost a Shelby demands, with the exception of the Shelby GT. I simply didn't agree with my dealer who wanted an extra 15k. I will admit if that ADM didn't exist, i'd be driving a black/gold Shelby GT instead of my black/purple GT/CS. As for the 370Z, amazing things are being done with this vehicle even with limited modification. I love the drag strip as much as I do road courses, though i'm more interested in turning. The Mustang just can't do what the 370 can out of the box, and highly modified its just a better road race car. Even though the Z is a good looking car, it will NEVER impact me like the Mustang did. It was my dream car since I was a very young child and every time I get inside and turn the key, the sound puts a smile on my face. No car will ever be able to replace the Mustang in how I feel, but I try to keep my eyes open and realize what else is out there.
Old 12/26/09 | 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe just a ban for a few days. I've always tried to keep the mindset of "I appreciate all cars, though I don't always agree". I think its a good balance, especially since I have to deal with a lot of import owners and its always a good idea to know what the strengths of other vehicles are. I have NEVER appreciated the extra cost a Shelby demands, with the exception of the Shelby GT. I simply didn't agree with my dealer who wanted an extra 15k. I will admit if that ADM didn't exist, i'd be driving a black/gold Shelby GT instead of my black/purple GT/CS. As for the 370Z, amazing things are being done with this vehicle even with limited modification. I love the drag strip as much as I do road courses, though i'm more interested in turning. The Mustang just can't do what the 370 can out of the box, and highly modified its just a better road race car. Even though the Z is a good looking car, it will NEVER impact me like the Mustang did. It was my dream car since I was a very young child and every time I get inside and turn the key, the sound puts a smile on my face. No car will ever be able to replace the Mustang in how I feel, but I try to keep my eyes open and realize what else is out there.
+1 on everything you just said. I love all cars and appreciate them for what they do. The way you see the 370z I see the same about the E39 M5. I would even hazard to say that it would be hard to not trade my awesome CS for one of those. They are costly to mod but become complete monsters. I love American Muscle, but I wouldn't mind having a crazy Bahn Stormer either.
Old 12/26/09 | 02:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

... Trade now, or next year?
Start looking for the car when you are sure of what you want and are absolutely ready then take your time to find the exact or as close to it as you have in mind. If it's used, spend the money and order an independent inspection, before or after you inspect it yourself. It will be worth it. A good find might take months therefore if you are patient it will pay off.

Also, your best bet is to look and buy a one owner car from the original owner.
Old 12/26/09 | 03:17 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
+1 on everything you just said. I love all cars and appreciate them for what they do. The way you see the 370z I see the same about the E39 M5. I would even hazard to say that it would be hard to not trade my awesome CS for one of those. They are costly to mod but become complete monsters. I love American Muscle, but I wouldn't mind having a crazy Bahn Stormer either.

I am in love with the high-revving V10 M5. I'm hoping in a few years when they're just a bit more affordable i'll be able to pick one up. I already have the exhaust picked out, too.
Old 12/26/09 | 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I am in love with the high-revving V10 M5. I'm hoping in a few years when they're just a bit more affordable i'll be able to pick one up. I already have the exhaust picked out, too.
I was actually talking about the previous generation with the 5.0L V8. I like the v10 too, but that V8 is just epic. Its hard to believe that the noise it makes is coming from a BMW