2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clutch Master Cylinder eyelet broke

Old 8/17/17, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch Master Cylinder eyelet broke

Clutch Master Cylinder eyelet broke. It's the eyelet looking piece that balloon 2 retains onto the pedal:

Anybody have a solution?

Edit:
Update. Found this on Ebay and ordered. Hopefully, all goes well!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322568809400

Last edited by GhostTX; 8/17/17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added possible solution
Old 8/17/17, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yeah, well, I thought about that, and then figured if this thing broke, how much longer is the plastic master cylinder going to last? And then I had the whole thing replaced. Just my $.02 on it.

Kinda scary when it happens, right? :I
Old 8/17/17, 10:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Freaked me out alright! I was shifting into 2nd and between gears when it happened and worse, I was on a country road blind hill (no shoulders) and had to pull off so only half my car was on the road. I have the hood up, flashers going for people coming behind me, but it'd take some guy racing down the middle of the road from the other side to cream me. I managed to line up the cylinder piston to the clutch pedal and get it into first and get it rolling, and limped home in 1st the whole way. First thing I did when I got home was started sleuthing what happened.

I thought about changing the whole cylinder, but a $40 fix versus a $80 part plus labor at my local shop. =/
Old 8/18/17, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
No one makes a Aluminum or steel replacement?

Plastic parts are crazy..
Old 8/18/17, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442

In my update, someone makes a billet replacement that I bought off e-bay.
Old 8/18/17, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442

I'm thinking that along with cost, this thing would break first... meaning that it won't (shouldn't?) allow you to keep running with the old master cylinder... that'll leak... into the car... or somewhere else... and mess up things...

...and so the idea is you'd replace the whole thing, 'cause shouldn't have been able to buy the plastic bit without the whole thing, so... New part, never gonna leak and screw things up...

...but it's just a thought.
Old 8/29/17, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I'm thinking that along with cost, this thing would break first... meaning that it won't (shouldn't?) allow you to keep running with the old master cylinder... that'll leak... into the car... or somewhere else... and mess up things...

...and so the idea is you'd replace the whole thing, 'cause shouldn't have been able to buy the plastic bit without the whole thing, so... New part, never gonna leak and screw things up...

...but it's just a thought.
I'm having cascading failures. The eyelet fix worked great, but then I noticed the cylinder was leaking and progressively got worse. So, I got the cylinder replaced. Now, today, not 2 days after the replacement, my clutch died. Couldn't shift into gears at all. I'm inquiring about a clutch kit in another thread now. *sigh*

FWIW, 115K miles on the 'Stang.
Old 8/30/17, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I just read about this, and mine broke tonight. Off to ebay for the aluminum replacement!

UPDATE 9/4/2017 - Got the part from Backwoods Diesel Saturday, and it takes about 15 minutes to install. Perfect fit, works great. A terrific solution compared to buying a complete assembly with the same plastic bushing again.

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 9/4/17 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added update
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (10/3/17)

Search this Thread