2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunking / popping sound when turning wheels

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/05, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As numerous of you have previously reported, I also have the popping / clunking sound some times when turning my steering wheel either left or right.

Has Ford (via a TSB) or any of your dealers come up with a fix yet? My Service Advisor checked the computer last week and found nothing from Ford on it. Nor had he personally heard about this problem via customer complaint.

As long as it poses no safety threat, I am not too concerned. Although as someone else wrote in an earlier thread, it is a bit embarrasing especially when someone is around to hear it besides you; a brand new car making sounds like an old clunker.

Any new info on this problem? Please comment / advise. Thanks.
Old 3/8/05, 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know there was a thread in here somewhere about this. I think it had something to do with front end bearings. It has been a while so it be buried deep or moved to a sub forum.
Old 3/8/05, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Treadhead@March 9, 2005, 12:02 AM
I know there was a thread in here somewhere about this. I think it had something to do with front end bearings. It has been a while so it be buried deep or moved to a sub forum.
Thanks, Jimmy. I remember this discussed a while back.

I was hoping for a recent update, even if the answer is "there is no update". Hence I started this new thread.
Old 3/8/05, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by maucoin65@March 8, 2005, 10:57 PM
As numerous of you have previously reported, I also have the popping / clunking sound some times when turning my steering wheel either left or right.

Has Ford (via a TSB) or any of your dealers come up with a fix yet? My Service Advisor checked the computer last week and found nothing from Ford on it. Nor had he personally heard about this problem via customer complaint.

As long as it poses no safety threat, I am not too concerned. Although as someone else wrote in an earlier thread, it is a bit embarrasing especially when someone is around to hear it besides you; a brand new car making sounds like an old clunker.

Any new info on this problem? Please comment / advise. Thanks.
My car has the three problems (front end noise, shaker500 CD problems and occasional problems filling my gas tank).
Does anyone have reference numbers for TSBs that cover these problems that I can give to the dealer when I take the car in?
Old 3/8/05, 11:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

THere is a TSB sticky up in the Important Topic section.
Old 3/8/05, 11:37 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Strut Mounts, no TSB but there should be one soon. I need to get mine in for that.. There is a TSB for the tanks, and one for the Shaker. Actually, I need to get mine in for all three issues.. I am just not willing to give up my car for like a week...
Old 3/8/05, 11:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I belive it was the upper strut tower bushings being defective from the factory :scratch: .You guys are right ....there is a link somewhere I just can't find it .
Old 3/8/05, 11:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Beet me to it Jessica
Old 3/8/05, 11:48 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

LOL Craig, when youre supposed to read every thread, and being one of the few members on at this time, it happens.
Old 3/8/05, 11:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

LOL..true so true
Old 3/8/05, 11:54 PM

Thanks, JR and Craig, for your input. Much obliged.
Old 3/9/05, 12:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@March 8, 2005, 11:40 PM
Strut Mounts, no TSB but there should be one soon. I need to get mine in for that.. There is a TSB for the tanks, and one for the Shaker. Actually, I need to get mine in for all three issues.. I am just not willing to give up my car for like a week...
What I'm planning to do is take the car into the dealer and tell them to order ALL parts they need to fix everything (shaker, gas tank and struts) and call me when the parts are in THEN I'll make an appointment to bring the car in for repairs.

Hopefully, the dealer will only need to keep the car for a day at the most, but we'll see what happens.

I might stop by the dealer sometime this week to let them know about the problems and how long the repairs will take once the parts arrive.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 3/9/05, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I too have the clunking noise problem

Really irritates me. Would be nice to know more info on how I can fix this problem.
Old 3/9/05, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

i hear a noise like that too when going over road dots in the parking lot at work so im only going like 10 miles per hour and it sounds like something is a bit loose also like 2 days after i picked up the car my driver side grill lamp went out ,dont know why that happend? anyone else have a lamp problem??
Old 3/9/05, 06:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I have only ever heard the clunk once and that was a few days after I got the car. Since then, 3,000 miles later, I have not heard it again.
Old 3/9/05, 06:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

It's the upper strut bearing mounts or whatever the official name is, the parts are on order, hopefully they will come in to have it taken care of this week.
Old 3/9/05, 07:07 AM
FR500 Member

I've got the clunkity, clunk, clunk too. I'm just not willing to give up the car yet.
I had it in for my first service a couple weeks ago, but my dealership has it's own "Jiffy Lube" quick service stop. I was in and out of there in 10 min, no appointment!

I had told the manager of the quick stop about it, and he said I would have to schedule an appointment with a service advisor for warranty work. I told him I wasn't ready to give it up yet, and he said I don't blame ya!
Old 3/9/05, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was in for a 3K service, and I mentioned it to them, along with the CD skipping problem. They are ordering a new cd player for me. However, with the clunking sound, they said there was no TSB yet for it, so they weren't going to look around to see what it was.
Old 3/9/05, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by holderca1@March 9, 2005, 8:00 AM
It's the upper strut bearing mounts or whatever the official name is, the parts are on order, hopefully they will come in to have it taken care of this week.
OK, so does anyone know what is the official name for this problem? I'd like to discuss with / educate my dealer service department, but I need to know what to call it.

Thanks.
Old 3/9/05, 07:45 AM
FR500 Member

Upper Strut Mount Bearings. Replace them, and the clunk goes away.

Quick Reply: Clunking / popping sound when turning wheels