2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clarkson's Famous '05 Stang Quotes...

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/06, 08:00 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clarkson's Famous '05 Stang Quotes...

Just to make everyone chuckle - or maybe get your blood pressure up, depending on your disposition - I thought I'd present below some of Jeremy Clarkson's more "choice" quotes about the new Stang...only because I got a kick out of them >>

...it’s also been engineered to resemble the original with all sorts of technology that in Europe would have been considered old fashioned by Edward Longshanks.

It’s a 4.6 litre V8 with just one camshaft, three valves per cylinder and the sort of power output the average European would expect from a juicer.

The platform for the new Mustang comes from a Jaguar S-type. But then the Americans take it back in time by fitting a solid rear axle such as you’d find on a Silver Cross pram, and a Panhard rod, dismissed by Newcomen as being “a bit too last year”.

Its brakes were cooked by turn six; the final slow corner completely overwhelmed the live rear axle; and through the fearsome Corkscrew, which twists down a gradient so steep you can’t even walk up it, I’m afraid Mr Ed was about as pin sharp as a punt gun. I **** nearly soiled myself.

...nevertheless it will get from 0-60mph in 5sec and reach a top speed of 150. That’s not bad for an ox cart.

But by European standards this car is rubbish. Its engine has wasteful, unused capacity that turns fuel into nothing, it couldn’t get from one end of a country lane to the other without running out of brakes and it handles like a newborn donkey.

It’s got a gruff engine note, its interior has the panache of an Afghan’s cave

Because the Mustang is made from pig iron and lava it is extraordinarily cheap...
And yet Top Gear placed it on their "cool wall." Go figure.

EDIT: I love how the word d*a*m*n*e*d is considered acceptable by the London Times - one of the world's oldest and most respected newspapers - but is somehow too profane for The Mustang Source.

Too crass and intense for the constiuents on this board, I guess.
Old 7/22/06, 08:22 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Hahahahahahhahah

He does sum the article up nicely though

the funny thing is I can't argue with anything he's said LOL
Old 7/22/06, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s a 4.6 litre V8 with just one camshaft

except it has two.
Old 7/22/06, 09:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
not really...SOHC means "single" overhead cam
Old 7/22/06, 11:00 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Bullitt995

except it has two.
SOHC = Single Overhead Camshaft
Old 7/22/06, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

1 cam per head, 2 heads. 1+1=2. Never thaught I would have to say that.
Old 7/22/06, 11:33 PM
GT Member

Why review a car that is not for sale in your country...other than to B and moan about nothing and add fuel to a fire for European vs American car stereotypes.
I read a few other car reviews he did and had to laugh. This guy and I are polar opposites. I LOVE the sound of the GT's V8. The mustang GT has soul, you can hear it. I hate the silence of a say the Lexus IS (he marvels at the quiet and luxury of it). I seriously considered an IS 350 except it was misssing something... and way too boring/expensive.

His writing style is so annoying that I would hate sitting talking to him...he drones on with witticisms and bizzare roundabout blabber
Weird English guy who's opinions and reviews I can soundly ignore. IMHO
Old 7/22/06, 11:38 PM
Cam Tease

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The wording definetly made it sound like there was one cam in the engine. It might have been the "It’s a 4.6 litre V8 with just one camshaft" part...

However, I loved this: Because the Mustang is made from pig iron and lava it is extraordinarily cheap...
Old 7/23/06, 02:10 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
Why review a car that is not for sale in your country...other than to B and moan about nothing and add fuel to a fire for European vs American car stereotypes.
I read a few other car reviews he did and had to laugh. This guy and I are polar opposites. I LOVE the sound of the GT's V8. The mustang GT has soul, you can hear it. I hate the silence of a say the Lexus IS (he marvels at the quiet and luxury of it). I seriously considered an IS 350 except it was misssing something... and way too boring/expensive.

His writing style is so annoying that I would hate sitting talking to him...he drones on with witticisms and bizzare roundabout blabber
You miss the point. His witticisms and bizzare blabber are why Top Gear is watched by 350 million viewers a week >> making it the number one show in the world. He makes some assinine remarks sometimes, but he does so with bloody brilliance.

So don't be a ******.

In all seriousness, though, I agree with you on the Lexus. A friend just bought an IS350 and I've driven it a couple of times. It does everything so flawlessly - including a vehicle stability system that lets you have NO fun whatsoever - that it darn near put me to zzzzzzzzzzzz...

No personality whatsoever.

And by the way, Clarkson was NOT a fan of the Lexus GS series at all (thought it was a total snore), as you will find by reading this.
Old 7/23/06, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

comparing Stang to an unstylish,boring compact box is like comparing his Ford GT to a Toyleta Celica
Old 7/23/06, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep

actually the mustang is for sale in england; saw lots of them for sale when i was there at christmas
Old 7/23/06, 06:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Have you ever eaten British food? This will clue you in to their utter bad taste.
Old 7/23/06, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can't really disagree with him on anyting either, if you read the entire aricle, he doesn't completely hate the car...this sums up his opinon quite nicely

"The Mustang, then, is a great car in America. But here you’re better off with a Golf."
Old 7/23/06, 08:05 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
he's probably the kind of guy that would rave about the performance of a prius...a writer-maybe...car guy- i dont think so.
Old 7/23/06, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
he's probably the kind of guy that would rave about the performance of a prius...a writer-maybe...car guy- i dont think so.
No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong! Watch Top Gear some time!
Old 7/23/06, 08:29 AM

The platform for the new Mustang comes from a Jaguar S-type. But then the Americans take it back in time by fitting a solid rear axle such as you’d find on a Silver Cross pram, and a Panhard rod, dismissed by Newcomen as being “a bit too last year”.
Jeremy should try a little research. The S197 platform is new from the ground up. Mustangs do not use the DEW98 (Jaguar S-Type) platform. The Auto Alliance plant requires engine coupling from the bottom of the car, something that is not possible with the front suspension from DEW98. Also, the DEW98 platform will not support a four seat convertible. Quote from Hau Thai-Tang (mustang chief engineer):

"It's funny, we never came out and said we were going to use the LS [platform]. That was conjecture in the media. I read all these things about a 'lightweight LS platform', and I said, 'Geez, I wonder who's working on that because it's not us."

I'd also be willing to wager the ****** likes Porsche's and BMW's. Cars which are, among others, regularly thrashed by the Mustang in the Grand Am Cup. I guess that antiquated donkey cart solid-axle is not quite as bad as he would have us believe.

Finally, I watch, and like, Top Gear. Clarkson is, imo, not an automotive journalist. He's an entertainer and a comedian, and like all comedians he sometimes stretches a point to get in a good quip. I just watch with a boulder sized grain of salt re: his opinions.
Old 7/23/06, 09:02 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I'm sure Clarkson is just saying things like that to tick off the american fans of the show.

He's done multiple reviews of the car, and in the end, the common theme in all of them is that despite any flaws, its a great car for the money and has real character
Old 7/23/06, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vicmeldrew
actually the mustang is for sale in england; saw lots of them for sale when i was there at christmas
yes but they are not offical imports they are being imported by car show rooms,, they are not british spec, or european spec,, thats why each one has to have a few modifactions to pass the inspection, which then makes it road legal.
Old 7/23/06, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
I'm sure Clarkson is just saying things like that to tick off the american fans of the show.
Yep, he got ya'll talking about him!

How many of you really care what he thinks of the Mustang anyway?
Old 7/23/06, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 199
yes but they are not offical imports they are being imported by car show rooms,, they are not british spec, or european spec,, thats why each one has to have a few modifactions to pass the inspection, which then makes it road legal.
like this
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Clarkson's Famous '05 Stang Quotes...