2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

"Check Trac Control" ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 06:56 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my first issue with my 05. Upon starting it a night ago I received the "Check Traction Control" output on the message center. As well, the ABS light stayed on.

I did a full system check, and everything including the braking system was okay.

Started it this morning, same thing. Started driving it and all of a sudden, traction control message was gone and everything works fine (I tested the traction control, it works).

Could it just be a sensor needs to be replaced? Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 1/30/06, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

Sounds like a sign of intermittent failure, if it was me, I'd bring 'er in.
Old 1/30/06, 10:20 PM

i had the same prob.the first time i took it in it was the abs module they changed out then it happened a week later and it was a lose ground.ground 101 was tightend and have had no probs since.
Old 1/31/06, 07:53 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dano,

I am having a similar issue with my daily driver. I am guessing that it is something with the ABS, either the module or a sensor. Because my beater is a tick away from 300,000km's, I am not going to bother with it.

Let us know what the result is
Old 1/31/06, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Had the same issue. Stopped the car to fill up the tires. Traction control and ABS lights both came on. Turned the car off, then turned it back on. Problem has not come back. Not sure what the dealer can do if it's intermittent like that. My airbag light once came on too. After I started and stopped the car, it went away and has never come back.
Old 2/2/06, 06:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks for the replys guys! I'm bringing her in tomorrow and will let you know what the verdict is.

Thanks Inmech, I'll let them know about those two things!

Dan
Old 2/8/06, 01:15 PM

I have been having the same problem with mine. The first time it happened it went into the garage and they cleaned up the ABS sensor connector to the ECU, or that is how it was explained to me. The problem has now come back after 600+ miles of driving and they recommend that I get it cleaned up again.

I think it has something to do with the road conditions, as I had 8000 miles on the clock before the problem started. Before that time it was summer/autumn and now the roads are greasy and wet.

Rather than take the car in I was going to clean it myself, but I don't know the connector is....other than under the hood.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have attached a copy of pictures of the connectors that I can see under the hood.

Could someone also let me know where this ground 101 is, or is it term for the battery ground??

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 2/8/06, 11:05 PM
V6 Member

This forum rocks!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] Was able to fix this problem on my car tonight and it only took 5 minutes.

Some background...I've been having the same problem for 8 of the 12 months I've had my car. I noticed that it mainly came on when I hit a small bump in the road, and that it seemed to be when the front tires hit the bump rather than the rear tires. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

I finally decided to take my car in to the dealer to have the problem looked at. I did some checking on this site the night before it went in and saw the post by Inmech about replaceing the ABS module not fixing his problem and then finding out about the loose ground at "ground 101". When I took the car in I told the service rep about this and saw her write down the info on the work order...even including the comment about "possible loose connection at ground 101". When I picked up the car that evening I was told that the module was bad and they had ordered a replacement for it. They called today to tell me the part was in.

Before they replace the module I wanted to check the ground 101 connection, so today I looked it up on my trusty Ford Service Information DVD I bought off of eBay last year. Found out "ground 101" is the ground connection immediately behind the drivers side headlight. Followed the wiring bundle down from the ABS connector (that's the one the red arrow is pointing at in the left hand photo in GW2000's post) about 8 inches to where two wires taped together come out of the bundle and go about 5 inches over to "ground 101". Checked this ground and found that the "eye" terminal on the ground wires wasn't held tight as it should be. I could wiggle it up and down almost an 1/8th inch. Had a friend sit in the car with the engine running as I wiggled the wire to confirm the problem. Took a 10mm socket and some extensions, reached down in there and tightened it up. I will say that the 10mm-headed bolt was not easy to turn...it took enough effort to tighten it that I was concerned it might snap off. Bet I got about two full turns on it before the connection was tight. Drove the car for 45 minutes tonight and the warning lights never came on...something it never would have done before I tightened the connection. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I'll bet that the assembly line workers used a torque-sensing tool to tighten this connection, and that it shut off before the connection was tight due to the effort it was taking to turn the bolt.

Ian...You might check the ground connection before anything else...hope that's all it is.

Inmech...Really appreciate your post guiding us to look at "ground 101". Thanks! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 08:07 AM

Looks like the 'ground101' has cleared my problem too. On inspection, the head of the screw was nearly 1/2 inch away from the car body. I find it bizzare that it took 10,000miles for the problem to surface. I have attached some pictures so that everyone can see where the 'ground101' connector is. The connector is located exactly were railman stated, hidden by the ABS ECU cable.

The power of TMSF....thanks to all,

Ian
Old 2/13/06, 07:15 PM
V6 Member

Glad that took care of your problem. Wow...half an inch! You'de think someone would have seen that.

I took my car back in for those TSB's I needed done...the dealer went ahead and replaced the ABS module even though the problem was now fixed. Their test the previous week had shown that the ABS module wasn't communicating with the computer....no kidding...you mean the ground wire needs to be connected?

I'm sure they didn't want to lose that warranty repair money. LOL
Old 2/13/06, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Although I haven't had this problem, it costs nothing to take a look at that connection and tighten if necessary to prevent problems. It probably took 10000 miles for enough oxidation to occur to finally break the ground connection. Thanks for the info.
Old 8/30/10, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by slammer223
Although I haven't had this problem, it costs nothing to take a look at that connection and tighten if necessary to prevent problems. It probably took 10000 miles for enough oxidation to occur to finally break the ground connection. Thanks for the info.
Just curious where the pictures are? I would lover to see some pix to aide in finding this elusive ground connection - my 2005 Saleen just demonstrated this problem after 11K.

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 8/31/10, 07:13 AM

Take a look here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/CTFordTech/2009-05-31_233728_2005_Mustang_Ground.png
Old 1/2/12, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

So, it could be is a ground wire? My car just started doing this...

What happened to the pictures to the posts?
Old 1/2/12, 06:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
thats good to know, will have to look at ours 'just in case'

Old 1/4/12, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
I've had my first issue with my 05. Upon starting it a night ago I received the "Check Traction Control" output on the message center. As well, the ABS light stayed on.

I did a full system check, and everything including the braking system was okay.

Started it this morning, same thing. Started driving it and all of a sudden, traction control message was gone and everything works fine (I tested the traction control, it works).

Could it just be a sensor needs to be replaced? Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
I was having this same problem, then the next day my alternator died. Things werent getting enough power and went haywire. Somthing to watch out for to everyone. It seems those are the first systems to lose power. Then next is the radio. So if you guys ever start experienceing this get it to a shop asap before it dies and you have to have it towed lol.

and thanks for the pic. I think Ill check mine just to be safe

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 1/4/12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 8/29/13, 01:07 PM

My first problem

So I just had this trac control issue today. Shortly after my car wouldn't start. Looks like I'll be finding that ground wire before it escalates on me. Thanks for the info.