2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Changing of the guards...

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/07, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing of the guards...

Well I swapped the old for the new yesterday and signed in my trade this morning. Weather has stunk so I'll get good pics later...

Funny thing is there are tons of little differences in the two years. Some are obvious like the GT's accessory drives are a little different, supposedly there is some beefing up of the floorpan/front subframe for GT500's and the rear package deck went to all carpet(which I kinda hate and may swap from my 06). But little plastic trim pieces including the trunk hardware 'box'(the safety handle has a clip now and not the velcro thingie-where sometimes on a bump a shopping bag can jump, 'grab' the handle, and pull the trunk lid latch on the 05/06-believe it or not), the AC temp **** and a handful of other slight changes stuck out after only a few minutes in the new car(I don't pay that much attention in the generic 'inventory' cars).

The MyColor standard colors are all slightly different too, especially the blue, which is now a teal instead of a dead match for the blue in the AC **** that the 06 has. You can't even tweak it to a more 'true' blue. I wonder why they did that?? Its only slightly different but I don't care for it much like the 05/06 blue that I instantly love every time I see it.

Still love the car of course, but weird what they do sometimes...And MAG mirror covers are already on the way, MAN the mirror drives me nuts without the skull cap.
Old 3/24/07, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin,

Congrats on the new car....looks great.

The std. blue on my '07 is a true dark blue just like the blue on the A/C ****. I also have a custom teal programmed as another color.

I wonder if they changed something on the '07's between Job 1 and Job 2.
Old 3/24/07, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrat's on the new car, I'm sorry to see the old one go. I wish I could have bought it. I noticed that the shift pattern on the 07 GT seems tighter with a nice "stock" short throw than the 05 and 06. Do you think so on the GT's?
Old 3/24/07, 06:43 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats.
Old 3/24/07, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
Congrat's on the new car, I'm sorry to see the old one go. I wish I could have bought it. I noticed that the shift pattern on the 07 GT seems tighter with a nice "stock" short throw than the 05 and 06. Do you think so on the GT's?
My salesman mentioned that they shifters had been reworked for Job 2 '07 and are much shorter and crisper. I thought it felt pretty good, but hadn't driven and older one so I have no comparison.
Old 3/24/07, 08:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

It surely feels a little more 'positive' as in shorter and a little stiffer, but its always hard to say on shifters that are not yet broken in. The T5/V6 shifter is horrible when new but breaks in very nicely after 500 miles(along with the muffler). The horn is also a little different when locking the car, and the alarm sequence has changed with the headlights switching on upon unlocking(I skipped AAT as it pretty much does nothing and tends to have dead battery issues). I was just out again and I do not like the 'new' blue at all, its definitely teal.

I'm going to see how long I can get away with no front tag, If I get harassed by the popo am surely going to curse my salesperson
Old 3/24/07, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on the car...it's a beauty!
Originally Posted by kevinb120
... and the alarm sequence has changed with the headlights switching on upon unlocking.
You can turn this "feature" off. Instructions in the manual.

Originally Posted by RobK
My salesman mentioned that they shifters had been reworked for Job 2 '07 and are much shorter and crisper. I thought it felt pretty good, but hadn't driven and older one so I have no comparison.
My sales guy told me the same thing. I thought he was just BSing, but maybe there's something to it. I like my shifter.

What are you guys referring to when you say "Job 1" and "Job 2"? (Sounds like bathroom talk )
Old 3/24/07, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

My salesperson said nothing about the shifter , but it feels a little different. I have driven at least 250 05+ mustangs. I thought it was the premier shift **** throwing me off for a bit but it does feel firmer and shorter. With all the downshift threads I was doing all kinds of stuff today(as I never normally think about it), including downshifting from 5th to every gear, and even going from 3rd to 1st. I then drove a couple I know I have had in stock for a few months and they are a little bit sloppier with slightly longer travel. I have been the only driver since the truck driver took it 10' behind the truck, so I thought it was just that it had 2.4 miles on it, but even approaching 100m its the same. Seems like less side-to-side slop too. We have had hardly any new manuals come in over the past couple months(that weren't pre-sold and never test-driven) so this may be the first job2 manual I have driven.

I don't remember any of our cars where the lights came on when you unlocked it with the fob either

Job 2 usually refers to the second half of the MY production run, typically in the winter, but sometimes earlier(like when they switched from the 7.3 to the 6.0 powerstroke in november for 2003 super duties). Sometimes they do nothing significant enough to ever notice, other Job 2 runs have lots of changes. Its like a mini re-tool during a model year.

WHO.... DOES.... NUMBER..... TWO....WORK... FOR??
Old 3/25/07, 10:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nice Pony and congrats on the new GT - great color combination!
Old 3/25/07, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
nice Kevin! Hows the extra power feel?
Old 3/25/07, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Power is good. Dont forget I drive different GT's constantly. This is my 7th Mustang GT over the years(license cleared up again just 3 weeks before this one came in, what a coincidence...).

Must....add....mods....

I also need to remember I have the color of death on the road. I have already noticed that people repeatedly cut in front or dont see me like they do in the red car(its very rare anyone ever tries to come in your lane in a bright colored car). Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm going drivin'.
Old 3/25/07, 01:01 PM
GT Member

I might trade my 07 v6 in for a 08 GT later in the year but I would want to keep the Pony Package grille. Have you ever though of swapping the grille.
Old 3/25/07, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steevr
Kevin,

Congrats on the new car....looks great.

The std. blue on my '07 is a true dark blue just like the blue on the A/C ****. I also have a custom teal programmed as another color.

I wonder if they changed something on the '07's between Job 1 and Job 2.
+1, my '07's blue is a perfect match for the a/c **** as well. Is it possible the dimmer is turned down and the color is not as vibrant? Just a thought.
Old 3/25/07, 09:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx
I might trade my 07 v6 in for a 08 GT later in the year but I would want to keep the Pony Package grille. Have you ever though of swapping the grille.
The V6/GT grilles will not fit one another's facias. I like the pony grill too.
Old 3/25/07, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Robbieg
+1, my '07's blue is a perfect match for the a/c **** as well. Is it possible the dimmer is turned down and the color is not as vibrant? Just a thought.
Nope, checked a couple 06's and a couple 07's and its different. Its not bad, but the 05/06 is a more 'true' blue. Its splitting hair's difference, but after a while in one you can tell its not exactly the same. I'm used to it now so all is good....
Old 3/25/07, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats!

>>Must....add....mods.... <<

I don't think I lasted a day before adding something! LOL!

And it's weird to see all the little changes just from the '05 that I had to my new '06... Just little things, but I definitely noticed them! Have fun in your new car, I know I am!
Old 3/26/07, 05:11 AM
Closet American

Yeah, the "perimeter lighting" (headlights coming on when unlocking car with fob) is definitely an added '07 security thing.

You can certainly notice a lot of subtle stuff as well. The HVAC controls are a great example of this. The temperature dial now has a subtle click stop that wasn't present in '05, and the lower buttons (AC, heated seats, etc) have a softer, more positive, 'quality' feel to them.

Mostly, it's all good.
Old 3/26/07, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Yeah, the "perimeter lighting" (headlights coming on when unlocking car with fob) is definitely an added '07 security thing.
Don't know if you already know this, but this feature can easily be shut off in about 30 seconds.
Old 3/26/07, 08:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't mind having this feature on mine, even though it is an '06. It would be nice if I could just have the dealership upload the 07 computer into the 06 car. I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy.
Old 3/26/07, 03:58 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by davisinla
Don't know if you already know this, but this feature can easily be shut off in about 30 seconds.
Yeah, that's what someone else was saying, too. I'll probably leave mine on since it's kinda nice at night.

Just found out that my car will arrive at the dealership in the next couple of days, so I will be sure to test that out for myself!

Quick Reply: Changing of the guards...