2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

CDC 3rd Break light and Tint

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/07, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDC 3rd Break light and Tint

I orderd the CDC 3rd break light when I ordered my CDC Ducktail. I also want to get the windows tinted. For those of you that have the 3rd break light, is it ok to get the windows tinted before I install the break light?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12/1/07, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have one of these, won it at a local show and plan to notch the tint around my light upon installation.
Old 12/1/07, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BossDawg
I orderd the CDC 3rd break light when I ordered my CDC Ducktail. I also want to get the windows tinted. For those of you that have the 3rd break light, is it ok to get the windows tinted before I install the break light?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
That's the best way to do it. That way the tint installers don't have to remove and reinstall the 3rd brakelight.
Old 12/1/07, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally I would do the tint and then install the 3rd brake light. If you tint around the light it won't look good imo. I had mine tinted and only used tape that was going to be on the solid black area around the top of the window. Been like that for over a year and I have had no issues.
Old 12/1/07, 05:19 PM
I lust for a M24

I did my tint first, then the brake light. I wish I did the light first, then the tint... my .02
Old 12/2/07, 01:32 AM
Bullitt Member

LeoGT what do you think is the best way? Tint first then light, or light and then tint?

05GT-O.C.D. why would you change it from the way you did it originally?

Thanks.
Old 12/2/07, 04:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the tint first and then the light so that the whole window is tinted and there is no un-tinted spot, when the brake light is off and you look at the window it sticks out like a sore thumb IMO, especially the darker you go with the tint. It certainly boils down to personal choice though. I think there are two sides to the fence, on one side safety and on the other looks. If you are more concerned with safety then you will probably lean toward no tint in that spot, if you Lean toward looks then you would probably tint first so that the window looks complete when the light is off. If you really have trouble deciding I would tint the whole window and see how you like it. If you don't like it you can take a razor and trace around the shape off the light and then remove that piece. Fresh tint peels off really easy.
Old 12/2/07, 04:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have photos of theirs?
Old 12/2/07, 04:43 AM
V6 Member

If you have to do any kind of inspection to register your car you should find out what your local laws say about it. We can't use the CDC ducktail here in Delaware because we own a convertible. They inspect the car with the top up, so a lightbar would fail. You may encounter a similar problem if you install the light behind a tinted window.

~Mike~
Old 12/2/07, 08:52 AM
I lust for a M24

LeoGT what do you think is the best way? Tint first then light, or light and then tint?

Thanks.
Because the tint blocks a lot of the light.

Old 12/2/07, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

CDC does a duck tail w/o bocking the 3rd light.

Originally Posted by R-code
If you have to do any kind of inspection to register your car you should find out what your local laws say about it. We can't use the CDC ducktail here in Delaware because we own a convertible. They inspect the car with the top up, so a lightbar would fail. You may encounter a similar problem if you install the light behind a tinted window.

~Mike~
Old 12/2/07, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

OCD - What % tint do you have on your back window? The light doesn't seem to be being effected by the tint.

Thanks for the heads up R-Code about registering. I don't think I'll have to do any kind of inspection though, but I will definately check into it. Also, I'm not sure if CDC has a ducktail that does not block the light, but I'm pretty sure Street Scene's ducktail doesn't block the 3rd light.

Thanks.
Old 12/2/07, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks.
I did it tint then light. As long as your not going with a limo tint the brake light will still be visible through the tint.
Old 12/2/07, 12:07 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
You sure about that? The CDC DT is what I have on my car, and it's the only one they make as far as I know.
Old 12/2/07, 12:08 PM
I lust for a M24

OCD - What % tint do you have on your back window? The light doesn't seem to be being effected by the tint.

Thanks for the heads up R-Code about registering. I don't think I'll have to do any kind of inspection though, but I will definately check into it. Also, I'm not sure if CDC has a ducktail that does not block the light, but I'm pretty sure Street Scene's ducktail doesn't block the 3rd light.

Thanks.
15% - but yes, the tint does really affect it. It's as bright as the taillights w/out the tint.
Old 12/2/07, 01:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
If that's true, they don't advertise it on their website.

~Mike~
Old 12/2/07, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about going with 20% on the back so maybe it won't effect the light too much.
Old 12/2/07, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

....For those of you that have the 3rd break light, is it ok to get the windows tinted before I install the break light?

Either way works. In my case, I did it both ways. On my '05, the rear window was already tinted when I bought it (used). It was a simple matter of positioning the light assembly, then marking the tint with a sharpie. I then used an X-acto knife to cut the tint and remove it. On my '08 GT500, I installed the light first, then had the windows tinted. The tint shop made a comment about, "We'll do the best we can to go around the light." It came out perfect..!!
Old 12/2/07, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you have any pictures you can post Willie? Thanks.
Old 12/2/07, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Well I would swear that two years ago when I bought mine they did. Maybe I am wrong. I did choose the tail light delete and added their rear window mount.

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
You sure about that? The CDC DT is what I have on my car, and it's the only one they make as far as I know.

Quick Reply: CDC 3rd Break light and Tint