Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converters, off-road H-pipes, emission test and exhaust smell

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/22, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic converters, off-road H-pipes, emission test and exhaust smell

Hello,

I'm trying to find the reason of a P0420 error code, with a strong gas smells at the exhausts (which make it fails the emission test).
Yesterday I removed the downstream O2 sensors to look inside the catalytic converters with an endoscope camera: the driver cat seems fine, the passenger is completely hollow...

Before I change them with all O2 sensors to be safe, I wanted to check with off-read H or X pipes owners: does your car smell bad?
Because mine stinks on both exhausts even if the driver side cat seems good. I saw they are connected, but I'm not sure if it's like an H-pipe or just a bracket.
I would like to rule out an engine issue, I realised that the idle is too low, it can stalls if there is a bump while I'm reversing.

PS: all OEM cats are out of stock, I guess I must buy a C.A.R.B. compliant replacement?
Old 9/5/22, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,029 Posts
define "smells bad" LOL ... like rotten egg sulfur bad? or old-fashioned muscle car unburnt fuel bad?

yes off-road pipes make the car smell like an old school muscle car, due to the lack of cats ... so yeah that could be coming from the empty-cat side, and yes the h-pipe connects them

the P0420 code means that the catalytic converter is not working, which makes sense if it is empty; O2 sensor is probably fine

you probably need to check your local regs regarding the CARB requirement, where do you live?
Old 9/5/22, 11:41 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
define "smells bad" LOL ... like rotten egg sulfur bad? or old-fashioned muscle car unburnt fuel GOOD SMELL
FIXED
The following users liked this post:
Bert (9/5/22)
Old 9/5/22, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't say it smells as good () as an old car, but it's definitely a strong smell of unburnt (or overburnt?) fuel.
I'm curious, what a rotten egg sulfur smell would mean?

Thanks for confirming that they are connected.

you probably need to check your local regs regarding the CARB requirement, where do you live?
I live in France, which is really strict about emissions. During the car inspection (every two years), a 2002+ car is limited to 0.3% of carbon monoxide emission during idle, 0.2% at 2500 rpm.
There are a lot of documents on the on the official CA website but I couldn't easily find something to compare.
Old 9/5/22, 05:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
The only replacement for the "OEM" catalytic exhaust system which is also OEM grade to my knowledge, is manufactured by Magnaflow... Link and image are provided below, if interested!

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/4...ytic-converter

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/5/22 at 05:25 PM.
Old 9/6/22, 02:20 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
If you have anything off road or cat delete stuff and YOU NEED to pass emissions testing,.......you're going to be replacing that stuff. You will not pass.
You will fail every single time until it is back to stock or not "off road" or "cat delete" related.
m05fastbackGT (9/6/22)
Old 9/6/22, 02:35 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Exactly 100% spot on Tony!
Stage_3 (9/7/22)
Old 9/6/22, 03:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

yeah in France I think it is risky with anything other than OEM cats, but from first post it sounds like that might not be an option

CARB certification might be a good sign, but I think all that means is that someone in California got paid to test and sign off on that product, not sure that means it will meet the requirements in France

Last edited by Bert; 9/6/22 at 03:05 PM.
Stage_3 (9/7/22)
Old 9/6/22, 03:29 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Shepard
Hello,

I'm trying to find the reason of a P0420 error code, with a strong gas smells at the exhausts (which make it fails the emission test).
Yesterday I removed the downstream O2 sensors to look inside the catalytic converters with an endoscope camera: the driver cat seems fine, the passenger is completely hollow...

Before I change them with all O2 sensors to be safe, I wanted to check with off-read H or X pipes owners: does your car smell bad?
Because mine stinks on both exhausts even if the driver side cat seems good. I saw they are connected, but I'm not sure if it's like an H-pipe or just a bracket.
I would like to rule out an engine issue, I realised that the idle is too low, it can stalls if there is a bump while I'm reversing.

PS: all OEM cats are out of stock, I guess I must buy a C.A.R.B. compliant replacement?
Send me Your Vin And I will Check a Few Things Out For You! Parts is Kinda My thing! Email it to clevparts@aol.com and I will send you Back Some Info which maybe Helpful.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/6/22 at 05:20 PM.
Old 9/7/22, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The only replacement for the "OEM" catalytic exhaust system which is also OEM grade to my knowledge, is manufactured by Magnaflow... Link and image are provided below, if interested!

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/4...ytic-converter
Thank you, but the OEM grade #49001 seems to be replaced with the HM grade #24151. They also have the CARB grade #5461001 but it's $3500!

On RockAuto there is a Walker CARB grade at $1500, but the cats seem smaller and it's not mandrel-bent tubing, not sure if it can restricts the air flow.

yeah in France I think it is risky with anything other than OEM cats, but from first post it sounds like that might not be an option

CARB certification might be a good sign, but I think all that means is that someone in California got paid to test and sign off on that product, not sure that means it will meet the requirements in France
That's what I'm confused about, if "OEM grade" is worse than CARB grade, does that mean that Ford was installing different cats if the car was sold in California?

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Send me Your Vin And I will Check a Few Things Out For You! Parts is Kinda My thing! Email it to clevparts@aol.com and I will send you Back Some Info which maybe Helpful.

KC
Thank you, will do!
Old 9/7/22, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Shepard
That's what I'm confused about, if "OEM grade" is worse than CARB grade, does that mean that Ford was installing different cats if the car was sold in California?
I am not sure about that .... I thought "CARB" was a certification for aftermarket auto parts, to confirm that they meet California's (ridiculous) requirements. If that is the case, then OEM should be "original Ford" and CARB means aftermarket that meets CA requirements. But I do not understand what is "OEM Grade"?

And yes there are special California requirements that must be met on new cars being sold in California, but I thought "CARB" was for aftermarket ... sorry that is not much help ... but here is a link that might help
What CARB and CARB Compliant Actually Means | Metromile

Last edited by Bert; 9/7/22 at 01:26 PM.