2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

car jewelry

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/15 | 03:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

car jewelry

got one of these last week, after seeing it in real life, ordered 2 more tonight for the other cars SHR makes some really beautiful stuff

fell in love with these when I saw one on Brad Barnett's 'project source horse', way back when- but procrastinated...

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/23/15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12/23/15 | 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Please post pics of this installed. Looks perty!!
Old 12/24/15 | 04:13 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Please post pics of this installed. Looks perty!!
I gotta redo the blackout- its just a magnetic one, and its shrunk a bit...I like the semigloss, will probably re do it in vinyl. really like this style medallion over the original.
crazy- 60 degrees on Christmas eve in Ohio, out raking leaves and washing cars

Anyways- Merry Christmas to all the rest of you mustang fans- hope everyone gets some quality time this weekend with friends and family, and say thanks to all those serving abroad in the service of our country- God bless 'em for helping us have the freedoms we enjoy
Attached Images  
Old 12/24/15 | 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

is this a fuel door? or fake fuel door for the center of the trunklid??

Where did you get it? and how much? Don't see it on SHR's website.

Last edited by friedmaster; 12/24/15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12/24/15 | 07:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
is this a fuel door? or fake fuel door for the center of the trunklid??

Where did you get it? and how much? Don't see it on SHR's website.
rear medallion they call it- heres the page- the black door/satin ring option isnt listed for some reason, and of course the licensed ford pony is a extra part(genuine ford emblem) that you gotta stick on - or whatever emblem you might opt for... saw several different customer photos on the SHR site, still liked Brad's pony idea the best
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/200...medallion.html

the actual part numbers on my invoice were:
"S197-400-b-basic" description:satin ring black door plain medallion $139.99
"YR3Z-16228-BA" :Small Ford Tri-Bar Pony $29.99

if you want the black/satin silver mix be sure to explicitly tell them, as the way the site reads, I think the -b option technically is all black? anyways they had it in the description as 'satin ring/black door' so all is well

getting the old one off is a bit of a challenge- it basically just gets pulled off- but that VHB tape is strong as heck- even peeled the chrome off the plastic around half the edge. the original tape I'd say would hold it- even better than the original- lots more area on the billet part, and for ten yrs old, my tape was clean and sticky under the plastic still(only touches the plastic ones on little ribs here and there-90% of the tape is untouched) that tapes strong as heck...I shoulda took a hair dryer to it to warm it up, at 60 degrees its not exactly soft... anyways they give you a stainless screw if you want to secure it, and dont mind putting a 1/8" hole in the trunklid under the center of the medallion (I drilled mine)...if for any reason you ever decided to put the plastic back on, the screw hole would would be covered anyways, so no worries...

getting the lid open(nice 'click' feeling magnetic catches) is a little tight as I have no fingernails, but doable- a key tip would easily pop it open to access the key hole...the pivots are stainless screws/washers/pin- it dont flop around, stays were you put it when opened- seriously doubt ill ever open anyway- its what the key fob is for- but a backup in case you gotta get in with a dead battery...

Anyways, its a neat little piece I think

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/24/15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12/24/15 | 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks awesome... and doesn't sound like a terrible installation.

Do you have any pics of the door open? How does it compare in size to our original ones? Could this theoretically be mounted so that the door opens downwards?

Last edited by friedmaster; 12/24/15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12/24/15 | 07:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Do you have any pics of the door open? How does it compare in size to our original ones? Could this theoretically be mounted so that the door opens downwards?
door does open downwards...not much to look at open- vhb tape and a keyhole. think I got some more pics out of the box
Old 12/24/15 | 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
door does open downwards...not much to look at open- vhb tape and a keyhole. think I got some more pics out of the box
Yeah I was wondering if it was possible to put the hinge at the top... I assume not because of the keyhole?
Old 12/24/15 | 08:13 PM
legacy Tms Member

Yeah I was wondering if it was possible to put the hinge at the top... I assume not because of the keyhole?
correct- its got a milled cutout that wraps around the keyhole and 2 big pins that locate it- and the pins appear to be offset a little side to side- in the trunklid factory holes.

looked, couldnt find pics- I'll get one with it open- nothing pretty when open because of the tape showing thru the cutouts, but as its only for access to keyhole, it is what it is.
Old 12/24/15 | 08:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

forgot- thanks (thank SHR for the looks) installation isnt fun. when I do the others I'll heat old emblem first. got it started with 90 degree pick and screwdriver, but it wasnt budging very well- got one of those plastic interior trim prybar sets and it popped right off, just put a microfiber under it so it dont scuff paint(or blackout as case may be)

edit- heres a pic from SHR customer photos of one open at the bottom of the page -
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/05-...allion-photos/

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/24/15 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12/30/15 | 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

SHR has always had the highest quality stuff.