2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/05, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My salesman just called to tell me that in prepping the car, they found a stress fracture (no point of impact, just a crack) in the lower windshield. They have a new one coming in from Lafayette tomorrow, so the car won't be ready until tomorrow night or so.

Question: Does the rear view mirror attach to the windshield, or hang down? They just installed the Electrochrome mirror (with compass and outside temperature) this afternoon.

I sure hope they install the windshield properly this time, so no cracks, air or water leaks.
Old 2/22/05, 03:13 PM
FR500 Member

At least they're doing a good job going over your car! Always look at the brighter side
Old 2/22/05, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Did they happen to tell you the price of the windshield? Mine has a crack in it and i hate to know what the stock windshield is running.
Old 2/22/05, 03:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 4:15 PM
My salesman just called to tell me that in prepping the car, they found a stress fracture (no point of impact, just a crack) in the lower windshield. They have a new one coming in from Lafayette tomorrow, so the car won't be ready until tomorrow night or so.

Question: Does the rear view mirror attach to the windshield, or hang down? They just installed the Electrochrome mirror (with compass and outside temperature) this afternoon.

I sure hope they install the windshield properly this time, so no cracks, air or water leaks.
May I ask what that Electrochrome mirror set you back? I have always driving big vehicles so headlights were never a problem, but when I test drove the stang it drove me nuts and I will constantly adjusting the mirror. The auto mirror would be nice.
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 4:15 PM

The rearview mirror is attached to the windshield.
Mach 1 Member

Hey Mike, Looks like they are doing a good job on checking your car out like Tony said. I think it is good that they found this crack and told you up front. I had a small issue on mine way down on the right front, very small scratch, when I got my car. My salesman pointed it out to me, it was dark and I would have not even seen it. They fixed it and I was good.
Old 2/22/05, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congratulations Mike, sorry to hear about the crack in the windshield. At least you are that much closer. Mine had a scratch on the spoiler when I picked it up. They were right on getting it fixed but I said " I will call for an appointment because I am ready to go drive.
Michael
Old 2/22/05, 04:08 PM

Tony: I didn't mean to appear pessimistic; I am grateful that they caught it and not me later after driving away. Also, as Bobby said, they are going over it very carefully.

Thanks for the answer that the mirror attaches to the glass. I guess they will have to unattach it, then reattach it to the new windshield. Ouch.

Electrochrome mirror was $224.55 with my salesman's discount. Install will cost me $60 tops.

No idea of price on the windshield, but I'll ask tomorrow and report back.

The rear glass on our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently cost me the $250 deductible off an $800 invoice from Safelite. I can only imagine what a new stock 2005 Mustang windshield would cost.

I am very thankful, this is all a blessing in disguise. I couldn't pick it up tonight even if it was ready, so I avoid that pressure (internal and external). Plus, they will have to keep her inside tomorrow with the glass replacement, so she will be protected from the stormy weather forecast down here.

I'll pick her up tomorrow night after the storm / front line passes through.

All is well.

Thanks to all. You guys are great.
Old 2/22/05, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, on the windshields I've had replaced, the attachment for the mirror was already in place. Hopefully that will be the case here. The mirror should reattach easily. Watch for the wiring however - don't let the weight of the mirror damage it.
Old 2/22/05, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 5:11 PM
Tony: I didn't mean to appear pessimistic; I am grateful that they caught it and not me later after driving away. Also, as Bobby said, they are going over it very carefully.

Thanks for the answer that the mirror attaches to the glass. I guess they will have to unattach it, then reattach it to the new windshield. Ouch.

Electrochrome mirror was $223.55 with my salesman's discount. Install will cost me $60 tops.

The rear glass on our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently cost me the $250 deductible off an $800 invoice from Safelite. I can only imagine what a new stock 2005 Mustang windshield would cost.

I am very thankful, this is all a blessing in disguise. I couldn't pick it up tonight even if it was ready, so I avoid that pressure (internal and external). Plus, they will have to keep her inside tomorrow with the glass replacement, so she will be protected from the stormy weather forecast down here.

I'll pick her up tomorrow night after the storm / front line passes through.

All is well.

Thanks to all. You guys are great.
My dealer wanted $600 for the mirror and install! Kevin on here priced it at $386. Are you talking about the mirror with compass and temp?
Old 2/22/05, 08:19 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know at least one or two other members have had a problem like this as well.
Old 2/22/05, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RMac+February 22, 2005, 4:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RMac @ February 22, 2005, 4:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 4:15 PM

The rearview mirror is attached to the windshield.
[/b][/quote]

Frankly, with the day/night mirror, I don't see how this is possible. The regular mirror may attach to the glass, but the day/night mirror with temp and compass has to be powered...so where are the wires run if it's stuck directly to the glass?
Old 2/22/05, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The power wires for the mirror run up under the headliner, down the passenger A-pillar, and connect to power in the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel. For the temperature module, it runs the same route but needs to then run into the engine compartment. The probe itself gets installed under the front fascia.
Old 2/22/05, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Martimus@February 22, 2005, 11:01 PM
The power wires for the mirror run up under the headliner, down the passenger A-pillar, and connect to power in the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel. For the temperature module, it runs the same route but needs to then run into the engine compartment. The probe itself gets installed under the front fascia.
Yeah, if the mirror is affixed to the forward-most part of the headliner via a support stem (then you have a place within which to hide the wires). But isn't the regular mirror just affixed to the glass?
Old 2/22/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 5:15 PM

Not that it makes a big deal how the crack got there, but is it possible that the dealership did it when replacing the original mirror with the auto-dimming mirror? I saw a post elsewhere that said the windshield can easily crack when taking off the rear view mirror if you don't do it slowly and carefully.
Old 2/23/05, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert+February 22, 2005, 11:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ February 22, 2005, 11:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Martimus@February 22, 2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, if the mirror is affixed to the forward-most part of the headliner via a support stem (then you have a place within which to hide the wires). But isn't the regular mirror just affixed to the glass?
[/b][/quote]

The electrochromatic mirror attaches to the same place as the regular mirror - a wire runs straight up to the headliner and over the A pillar.
Old 2/23/05, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by htwag@February 22, 2005, 6:02 PM
Actually, on the windshields I've had replaced, the attachment for the mirror was already in place. Hopefully that will be the case here. The mirror should reattach easily. Watch for the wiring however - don't let the weight of the mirror damage it.
Yeah, that occurred to me too---that the mirror would be hanging down by the electrical wire while they install the new windshield. I trust that they will be careful.
Old 2/23/05, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Too Tall+February 22, 2005, 9:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Too Tall @ February 22, 2005, 9:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 5:11 PM

Electrochrome mirror was $223.55 with my salesman's discount. Install will cost me $60 tops.

My dealer wanted $600 for the mirror and install! Kevin on here priced it at $386. Are you talking about the mirror with compass and temp?
[/b][/quote]

Yes, that mirror, NOT the one with Homelink also. Just compass and temp. $224.55 plus tax = $244.20; $60 labor installation. Total $304.20 installed.
Old 2/23/05, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by wjones14+February 22, 2005, 11:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ February 22, 2005, 11:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@February 22, 2005, 5:15 PM

Not that it makes a big deal how the crack got there, but is it possible that the dealership did it when replacing the original mirror with the auto-dimming mirror? I saw a post elsewhere that said the windshield can easily crack when taking off the rear view mirror if you don't do it slowly and carefully.
[/b][/quote]

I suppose that is possible; that occurred to me last night after I spoke with the salesman so I didn't think to ask him.

Like you said, not that it matters how it got there, but I'd almost rather that be it vs. a bad installation at the factory, or a hint that the windshield frame itself is bent, or something serious like that.

The dealer is covering it on their/Ford's dime and taking care of the problem, before I have taken delivery on the car, so I'm not worried.

Unless you guys say I should be worried. Please advise me what to look for or inquire about.
Old 2/23/05, 06:37 AM

Wasn't there a post a while back about a pony logo on the factory windshield? Where is it? I want to look for it when I take delivery.

I hope they install one like that, but it won't be the end of the world if it is missing, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Can't believe this...