2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

cannot get the car inspected FOR SH!T

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/10, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cannot get the car inspected FOR ****

6 times ive been to my mechanic and every time he hooks the car up to the computer it says not ready. at first he said it was because i replaced the battery recently and it takes a few miles to get the computer to "accept it". well ive driven over 1000 miles and still its a no go. could it be the tune i have on there?

anyone else have this problem?

im at the end of my rope here. its like this **** city of ny wont let me drive my car legally. i cant renew the registration either cause it needs the inspection but i cant get it inspected cause it says its not ready. i really dont know what else to do.

on a different note, i cant get my bike inspected either cause the morons here never have any stickers. the hatred for this god awful city just builds with each passing day and i cant move cause i need to live here for my job. i work for the ny dept of sanitation and its a requirement to live here if you work for them. 13 years and 362 days to go and IM OUT! (when i hit my 20 years and can retire)

Last edited by slipnotovk; 4/15/10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 4/15/10, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear. It likely is your tune. Some settings get turned off that may be affecting the scopes your inspectors use.

Assuming your mod list in your signature is complete my suggestion would be to throw the stock air-box and tune on the car and take it back. Should pass then. After you've gotten the inspection, put the cold air box and your brenspeed tune back on the car.

I don't see anything else in there that would require a tune other than the cold air kit.
Old 4/15/10, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

+1, i always re-flash to stock..esp after last year; when I was getting my inspection there was another s197 with CAI +tune at the dealership that failed inspection
Old 4/15/10, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Almost all tunes turn off the rear o2 sensors, so that is what's making it not ready.
Old 4/15/10, 10:09 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you cut your cats off, that'll fail you, too...at least in Texas.
Old 4/15/10, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dysan
Almost all tunes turn off the rear o2 sensors, so that is what's making it not ready.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Btw, I hear you about NY. The gun laws alone are enough to make me never consider moving there, no matter how attractive the job offer.
Old 4/15/10, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by slipnotovk
6 times ive been to my mechanic and every time he hooks the car up to the computer it says not ready. at first he said it was because i replaced the battery recently and it takes a few miles to get the computer to "accept it". well ive driven over 1000 miles and still its a no go. could it be the tune i have on there?

anyone else have this problem?

im at the end of my rope here. its like this **** city of ny wont let me drive my car legally. i cant renew the registration either cause it needs the inspection but i cant get it inspected cause it says its not ready. i really dont know what else to do.

on a different note, i cant get my bike inspected either cause the morons here never have any stickers. the hatred for this god awful city just builds with each passing day and i cant move cause i need to live here for my job. i work for the ny dept of sanitation and its a requirement to live here if you work for them. 13 years and 362 days to go and IM OUT! (when i hit my 20 years and can retire)

That sounds like a pain, but take heart: you're not the only one to live in NYC with a modded Mustang. Like others have said, you at the very least need cats, and you need all your oxygen sensors on and registering and no CEL.
Old 4/15/10, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

thankyou everyone for the information. with the CAI, i have the K&N which is able to run w/o a tune. do you think i could pass inspection with just flashing the cpu back to stock with keeping the K&N on there with the stock tune. i only ask as to avoid taking the time to put the stock airbox back on the car.

also, yes my signature of mods is up to date and i do have the cats on there as well. i never removed them because of the headache it would give me with getting the car inspected.......seems like that headache is unavoidable
Old 4/15/10, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

thankyou everyone for the information. with the CAI, i have the K&N which is able to run w/o a tune. do you think i could pass inspection with just flashing the cpu back to stock with keeping the K&N on there with the stock tune. i only ask as to avoid taking the time to put the stock airbox back on the car.

also, yes my signature of mods is up to date and i do have the cats on there as well. i never removed them because of the headache it would give me with getting the car inspected.......seems like that headache is unavoidable

Dude, call Brenspeed and ask them about the tune. They have decent customer service and may be able to help you or at least give you good advice. Just an idea.
Old 4/15/10, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

if i STILL cannot pass inspection with just reflashing the cpu back to stock, then ill give brenspeed a call. my mechanic is just up the block from me so its not a big deal to try and see if it passes with just that. also, he isnt charging me for everytime it fails.....thank god
Old 4/15/10, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Keystone
^^^ THIS ^^^

Btw, I hear you about NY. The gun laws alone are enough to make me never consider moving there, no matter how attractive the job offer.
gun laws, the absolute cr@p roads, congestion, nonstop construction, people living on top of each other, people who think bumpers were put on cars so they can BUMP when parallel parking, cost of living, property values/taxes........these are all reasons NOT to live in NYC. I will admit, its a great place...TO VISIT. but as far as living here, i am one new yorker that tells everyone, youd have to be NUTS to do so
Old 4/15/10, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

gun laws, the absolute cr@p roads, congestion, nonstop construction, people living on top of each other, people who think bumpers were put on cars so they can BUMP when parallel parking, cost of living, property values/taxes........these are all reasons NOT to live in NYC. I will admit, its a great place...TO VISIT. but as far as living here, i am one new yorker that tells everyone, youd have to be NUTS to do so
You just described Chicago.
Old 4/16/10, 05:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

yes with just the K&N Intake you can pass inspection if you put the stock tune back into the car! when you flash the car back to stock, I'm not sure since you had the O2 sensors off for a while that you need to put at least 100 miles on the car before the ECU gets a good reading on them in order for the inspection place to read the car and pass you.

Last edited by MaverickMLFD371; 4/16/10 at 05:18 AM.
Old 4/16/10, 07:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My brother has a 2007 Mustang GT and he ALWAYS NEEDS TO RELOAD THE STOCK Program back into the car to pass inspection. Otherwise it fails, He also removes the cai and put the stock one on it. Then after it passes he comes home and re-install the tune and CAI, And the he has no X pie or H pipe,Just a CAI, The CAI alone will not pass NYState inspection

Last edited by UnrealFord; 4/16/10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 4/19/10, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok i tuned it back to stock and it still didnt pass. but i didnt put 100 miles on it before trying. so im going to drive the car for a while and try again.

mach1mania........what kind of intake does your brother have? like what brand? because like i said, the K&N doesnt throw any codes and is the only one that doesnt need a tune (although the tune obv helps)

when i did tune it back to stock, omGOD wat there a difference! the car is so sluggish now. the throddle lag is ridiculous, it idles around 800rpm rather than the 1100 or so im used to so it feels like its gona stall out. i cant wait to get that 93 octane tune back on there.
Old 4/19/10, 09:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I think you will need to drive it a bit more, as much as you might be suffering, lol.
Also, Brenspeed can email you a emissions safe tune to pass.
Old 4/21/10, 06:29 PM

I just went through getting my car inspected here in PA. My car has a Brenspeed tune, CAI, headers, catted h-pipe and magnaflows. I stuck the stock airbox on, and returned the car's program to stock. Drove around a while and then it threw a code. Cleared it, then tried to inspect it since I drove a 100 miles or so. 3 readiness monitors were "not ready" so no sticker this time. The inspection shop said there's a bunch of conditions that has to be met before it's "ready". One was to drive over 50 mph for 4+ miles at low throttle. One was an idling situation, etc. I went back the next two days until slowly the monitors were ready and it passed. Then on the way home it threw another code. I laughed since I already had my stickers. The code it kept throwing was something like "catalyst below threshold" or something like that. Once home I retuned it and put the CAI on.

Mike
Old 4/23/10, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok I ran into this problem last year. I found out how to pass and it worked perfect 3weeks ago. You gotta load the stock tune and swap back to stock airbox. You gotta run the car between 3/4 and 1/4 tank. Run it for a day or two before an inspection. Then go in. You'll pass. Got it on the 1st try this year.
Old 4/23/10, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Good luck to you slipnotovk. You should be able to pass by putting your stock airbox on, flashing back to the stock tune and driving for a few days. I believe there is a suggested sequence in the owner's manual for driving your car to get it ready to test.

I have a Procharger so putting the stock airbox back on was not an option for me but I was able to pass by having my tuner make a tune turning on the O2 sensors.
Old 4/24/10, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

All you need to do is email brenspeed and get an emissions tune. It is the same race tune but has 02 sensors on. I failed last year, got my emissions tune and passed.

Like everyone says, drive the car 100 miles before inspection with the emissions tune

Quick Reply: cannot get the car inspected FOR SH!T