2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Can the dealer align the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/05, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Since I just put new wheels & tires on my car, I've been looking at them a lot and noticed the right tire sits in farther than the left. (1/2" maybe?)

I remember reading some spring posts and someone else said theirs was that way but it didn't really matter since they installed an adjustable panhard bar when they lowered the car.

Anyone else notice this and can the dealer fix it? If so, how?
Old 6/16/05, 08:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your cars suspension is stock except for the wheels and tires then this is likley a production tolerance variable that is just showing up because the tires are closer to fender now (you just notice it easer)

if stock height, you may still want to bring to dealer just to be sure, have them do a four wheel allignment
Old 6/16/05, 10:16 PM

Yes, everything else is stock. So they CAN adjust it?
Old 6/16/05, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

To me, having your rear-end out of line should be warrenty work. I would put your Stock rims back on, and take it to them and be like "Look at it. I want my rear to be right, fix it." it may be a little forward, but its what should be done.

Are all 05's Like this? if so, shouldn't that have been fixed in the factory at the start of production?
Old 6/17/05, 03:34 PM

Yes. It would be warranty work. (with or without aftermarket wheels)
I stopped by today to get them to order the parts to replace the strut bearings so when I get those replaced I'll have them look at it.
Old 6/17/05, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@June 17, 2005, 4:37 PM
Yes. It would be warranty work. (with or without aftermarket wheels)
I stopped by today to get them to order the parts to replace the strut bearings so when I get those replaced I'll have them look at it.
Is it possible the offset of one of the wheels is wrong? 1/2" is A LOT. There would have to be something pretty wrong in the rear end for it to be so far off you can see it.

There is no way to adjust the rear end except for an adjustable panard rod, and since you have not lowered it, there is no reason to need one. Also, as long as your wheels are the correct offset, then the dealer should align it no questions. Only thing, the alignment equipment can scratch the wheel, I scratched mine when I checked mine a while back. :bang:
Old 6/17/05, 05:27 PM
V6 Member

as much as it hurts to admit, auto production is not always perfect, I have seen many variances on many different cars over the years, some of these issues are realy issues some are just the way it is, I dont know if this is one that effects safety drivability or tire ware, but we are the types that notice things like this (we are the minority)

the more I think about it I would not fully trust Ford service on giving a honest answer on if rear end allignment is OK, an independent shop whould be my choice with an adjustable panhard rod in hand

there should be protective covers for the heads they mount to wheels (ask them or warn them not to scratch wheels)

not sure on this but I think you want the same wheel on car at time of allignment as normaly driven, the width and offset play a part in there readings
Old 6/17/05, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

You can align a live rear axle? Usually an alignment adjusts toe in/toe out, caster and (for some) camber. To the best of my knowledge, not of these are adjustable on a live rear axle and none would fix a left/right disparity of 1/2" -- which seems like a lot. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Aside from issues around tire clearance, I'd be concerned about the fact that the driveline would be biased towards one side by 1/2 inch, potentially causing wear in the universal joints.

It seems to be that for everything to be off, one or more of the suspension mounting points wound need to be off centre.
Old 6/17/05, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

we are talking side to side alignment here

an allignment tech can connect the allignment heads to all four wheels to check if the rear is in line with front, if its just offset to one side or if distance from right front to right rear is the same as left "dog tracking"

if its just over to one side, unless its a track car handling should not be effected (for a race car this whould show up as a problem with traction or od behavier in extreem corners)

BTW, I think some race cars with solid/live rear axles do run with negative camber, the axle tubes are slightly angled up to create the effect for better contact patch around the turns (NASCAR) maybe? axle shaft splines and differentials have a certian amount of angle of play
Old 6/17/05, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

an example of the ford variables, my car before I lowered it sat almost a half inch lower at the right rear

installed Pro-kit lowering springs and the same variable existed, just for kicks I swaped left and right coils and checked again, same thing

this means the spring mounting pads are different from R to L

Did Ford do this for a reason (for drivers weight) I have herd of this being done before but with the springs not the mounting points

I never measured axle center before lowering (I should of) but after, I needed to shorten my stock length adjusted adjustable panhard bar by about a 1/4" to center axle
Old 6/17/05, 08:56 PM

I haven't measured mine. 1/2" is probably a little high. I do remember somone on here actually checked theirs before they lowered it though and it was off. I'll see if I can find the post.
Old 6/17/05, 09:04 PM

A 1/2" to one side is 1/4" off.Meaning it would take a 1/4" correction to correct it. Think about it. It's not that much. :scratch:
Old 6/17/05, 09:43 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@June 17, 2005, 7:59 PM
I haven't measured mine. 1/2" is probably a little high. I do remember somone on here actually checked theirs before they lowered it though and it was off. I'll see if I can find the post.

I installed Steeda springs on the rear and measured before and after. It threw the rear end 1/2" toward the passenger side. With an adjustable panhard bar it was an easy correction.
Old 6/17/05, 10:45 PM

Was it evenly centered BEFORE you lowered it?
Old 6/18/05, 01:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is stock too... and I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago...
Old 6/18/05, 01:32 PM

So it's not just my imagination.
Old 6/18/05, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

No... not just your imagination...
My difference is on the passanger side rear....
More than likely I'm the only one who will notice... but yes there it's tucked in a hair more... maybe a 1/2 an inch to an inch leaning in torwards the top of the wheel.
Old 6/18/05, 06:19 PM

I was actually talking about the whole rear axle being shifted to the left, but I have also noticed that both rear tires tilt in a little on mine.
Old 6/18/05, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I went out and really looked at mine, guess what, the rear end is shifted to the left. Now I have lowered the back of mine 3/4", so I'm not surprised. I have no idea if it was off before or not though. I see no tilt, but my alignment sheet says the rear tires are cambered .1 degrees on the left, and -.1 on the right. Toe is all wonky, even worse after the drop.

Just one more reason to buy some BMR stuff!
Old 6/19/05, 05:46 AM

What springs did you use to only lower it 3/4"? Or did you cut them?

Quick Reply: Can the dealer align the rear end?