2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Call me crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/08, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me crazy...

but I just can't get over the new Challenger.

I absolutely love everything about it. I want to try to get to the next car show to really see what it looks like.

I want to pick up an R/T when they come out around the fall.

Here is my question.

My 07 GT which I purchased in July 5, 2007, currently has 5,600 miles on it. Say I put 12,000 miles on it. How much do you think I would get for it in the fall? I haven't really modded it yet, I may put some money into it, in the next few months. It's in perfect condition, couple small scratches which I took care of and can barely be noticed.

Do you think I should save the money I would be spending on it, and put that toward the principal of what I owe on the car and minimize how much I owe on it in the long run, or get whatever it's worth when it's crunch time?

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 1/14/08, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

So, you're planning on cheating on us and you want our advice on how to best do so? Traitor!!

Seriously though, in my opinion-
1) In terms of resale value - I don't think the mileage is going to be a factor. However, if you trade in the fall you may get a little less because they are harder to re-sell in the fall/winter. This probably would not be a factor if you sold it yourself.

2) I would put $0 into the car because in all likelyhood you will not recoupe it, or even enjoy it if you sell the car.

3) Depending on how much money you have set aside, I would not put it toward the principal of the loan. I would by a 6 month CD, cash it in, and put it toward the new car. Make money off that money!

JMHO
Old 1/14/08, 06:46 PM
GT Member

you might want to research what the Challenger SRT is going to cost first. a lot of people will think twice.

i won't even consider it because of what POS's Dodges have been for me.
Old 1/14/08, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have noted, it is highly likely you will pay above the MSRP for the first run of the Challenger.

I'd suggest enjoying your current vehicle and look at a sale in 18 months from now.

I also suggest that you refrain from any performance modifications or significant style changes in order to increase the likelihood of an easier sale.

I understand when you get "the fever" how hard it is to deal. Good luck!
Old 1/14/08, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What they said....

But that IS a nice looking car!

I've always been a bit of an agnostic when it comes to cars. Mustangs have always been near and dear to my heart (somthing about taking a spin in my cousin's hopped up 1969 Mach 1 when I was 15...), but there are Corvetts that I love (1967 and the new C6), Camaros (1969 and assorted F-body and up), Dodges (Challengers), Chryslers (1971 Hemi 'Cuda), Porsche's, Farrari's, etc. Who ever can hit an automotive home run is a good guy in my eyes!

I just doubt that Chrysler can hit the same kind of home run with the new Challenger that Ford did with the new Mustang. But I sure hope they do!!!

Usually, the concepts get totally hosed going to production by the bean counters. There must be a special place in Hell for those type of bean counters!
Old 1/14/08, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been reading up on these latest Challengers and I think I will wait for the 09 models to hit (around late summer/early fall) and they will mass produce them with other models, including the one I want; R/T.

Should be around the same price range as a fully loaded 'Stang. Yeah, that 6 month CD sounds like a good idea. And yep, I think I will keep it stock for now.

I'm going to hold off for the local auto show and go check it out in person.

Thanks for the info all. I will keep you updated and what I decide to do.
Old 1/15/08, 05:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i saw an article saying the new challenger will start at $37,700.
and only producing with hemi engines. mark-ups will be high im sure.
also they said it was a 90% replica of the original.
Old 1/15/08, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

All the first model year cars may be spoken for if you do not get a order in soon. There will be more on lots after the first year.
Dodge Takes 9,000 Orders for Dodge Challenger
Old 1/15/08, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

They'll easily be selling for near $50,000 when they come out. We went through the same thing with the new generation Stang. Not $50,000, but at least $4,000 to $6,000 over what we're paying right now. It was tough to wait for 3 years, but in the end, we didn't get ripped off, either.
Old 1/15/08, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

I really do not think you're going to be able to touch even the 340hp V8 version of the Challenger for anything less than $35 grand. Base GT may even be cheaper than the V6 challenger (are they even making a V6 version?) I'm basing this on chrysler 300 pricing.

They are awesome looking cars though, man I'd love to get one.
Old 1/15/08, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get over it! I looked at it the exterior looks fine but not exactly like the 1970's version. If they going to make a retro car at least give it the same or similar design cues from the original version. The interior kinda makes me want to put my fingers down my throat. Sorry but the Challenger and the Camaro are not for me.
Old 1/15/08, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

If you guys want to check this site out, feel free.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

It's not only a good read, but it seems like Challenger will be sticking around for a while. I might just wait till the second go-around before I jump on anything. I think I want to gut a newer truck or something for the winter because the I feel bad when the Mustang is exposed to snow or rock salt.

So my plan is to open up an ING Direct account. Put a few hundred dollars per paycheck in there and also throw in my income tax return in there. Let it build, and throw that down on the Challenger whenever I am ready.

Just to answer some question, I have gathered some information on the Challenger from many articles. The 08 model, which will only be released as an SRT8 will be in production until mid summer. Around mid summer, the 09 models will start to roll including 3 additional models, SE, SXT and R/T. Possible limited edition versions of the R/T might also be released such as: Daytona or Superbee etc.

My reason for liking the Challengers are for a few reasons...
1) the 70's look, even though it date's it to a particular point in time
2) the 5.7 liter, v8 will included MDS, which will improve MPG by 10% because of this new variable cam timing Dodge is using
3) more horsepower! hah
Old 1/15/08, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Exactly why I'm going to buy a Mustang. I love the retro look, I'm not a one manufacture guy (Have a Pontiac now), I love the retro look of the Challenger but I know for sure they will go for above MSRP and I can get a Mustang at pretty much invoice. I plan on keeping the Mustang 3 years or so and then looking at maybe the Challenger or even the new Camero when they drop in price. Yeah I guess it's nice to have the newest car on the block, but I can spend that extra cash I save on the Mustang and have a totally customized one that will be one of a kind.

I would consider holding out but my Pontiac is becoming a POS and it's 8 years old, I don't think I'll ever keep a car that long again, just looses to much value, and mines loaded, I hate to think what a cheap car is worth that old.
Old 1/15/08, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
I think the Challenger will truly be pretty.

But the auto trans is the deal breaker for me. When a car is built for performance I want to stir the stick myself, and I want another pedal that goes with it.
Old 1/15/08, 03:59 PM
GT Member

That challenger is pretty bad @ss looking, I would love to drive one, but had pretty bad experiences with Dodge (A 99 Intrepid, which died at 77,000 miles, and I still drive a 2002 Stratus for my winter car, which feels like it is totally falling apart at 60,000 miles... Both cars were/are constant maintenance. I know, totally different cars, but same manuafacturer. I still love the new Challenger reguardless.

Anyways, My opinion is Go for it! Be one of the firsts ones to drive that bad boy. It will deffinitly turn heads.
Old 1/15/08, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
although it will be tempting.... pay on the stang for a couple years when the challenger has been around for a while, then get one cheaper that way...

thats what i did for my stang and im very pleased with what i did
Old 1/15/08, 04:08 PM

The challenger looks awsome. Enjoy! There will be price mark ups for 2008 models for sure.
Old 1/15/08, 05:10 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far for all the 2008 SRT pre-orders from what i've seen have no additional dealer mark-up. The Challengers started at around 37k, only come in 3 colors and 3 options which are tires, sunroof and Infotainment center which is the most costly upgrade. There is a gas guzzler tax of $2,100. Ouch. I've got a list of everything which is included with the car somewhere. Total for everything for a fully loaded ended up around $42,000. That isn't too bad considering 300C SRT-8's are stickered right at 47k. The SRT-8 models also do NOT have the MDS system, as far as I know. Apparently, there is also supposed to be a manual tranny released after the first model year. I figure Chrysler is just dipping their feet in the water and seeing if anything bites.

I love the look of it. I'm trying to convince my mother to trade in her Charger R/T for a Challenger R/T around 2009 or 2010 model year. We'll just have to see how Chrysler changes up the model when it comes time for a face lift.
Old 1/15/08, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
So far for all the 2008 SRT pre-orders from what i've seen have no additional dealer mark-up.
Unless there is something official that guarantees that price, I would be amazed that would hold true. Is there some sort of price protection mechanism that is defined?
Old 1/16/08, 11:44 AM

I seen the Challenger at SEMA and the San Diego Autoshow -- very nice vehicle IMO. A lot bigger then what I had expected but non the less still nice

Quick Reply: Call me crazy...