Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/07, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California front license plate?

It seems it's California law to display a front license plate, however i see quite a few cars running around without a front license plate. California owners: have you ever gotten any trouble, been pulled over, ticketed, etc, for not having a front license plate? And would it be safe to go front plate free with a daily driver? I notice the GT doesn't have a bumper indent and it would be a shame to drill holes in the bumper to mount it.
Old 12/17/07, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Yes California has a law requiring a front plate. The only place that we got a fix it ticket was parking on the street in downtown LA. I would go without it because it does look better but realize that the cops will have an excuse to pull you over if they think that you might be doing something else that they can't pull you over for.
Old 12/17/07, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I'd go without it too! As a matter of fact I am without one, it's on my wall in my garage. (I currently live in CA and do not have a front plate on)

It's gravy for the cop though when they pull you over. Good news it's a $35 fix it ticket if you do get caught.
Old 12/17/07, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't had the front plate on since I got my stripes painted on. I had them fill the holes when they did it. The only ticket I have ever gotten for not having a front plate was at the Sac airport and I was parked in a metered section, so the airport cops gave me a ticket when they were looking for expired meters.
Old 12/17/07, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Missouri is the same way, law requires a plate on the front and rear. I did not put one on the front, I refuse to drill into that bumper.
I bought my car in October and have yet to be pulled over *knock on wood*. The KC cops dont really care, Its just the smaller rural towns that may cause trouble around here..cops with nothing better to do.
Old 12/17/07, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

You will also get hassled at LAX.
Old 12/17/07, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oregon has the same and I actually am a Police Officer,sooo ya, it sucks, but I have to have one on.

I bought this front plate holder. Excellent quality. NO DRILLING, install takes about 5 mins. Alum, or powder coated black.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180161993254

It might say item has ended, but just send him a message and he will give you the link to the new sale for it.
Old 12/17/07, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

I live up in Sac, Roseville area. I got several CHP guys live in my neigborhood.
I got pulled over twice by them, they have never mentioned about the plates, plus all my cars have dealer plates, keep my real ones in the trunk. (those are life savers, to many red light cameras in my area)
Old 12/17/07, 10:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine is a DD with no front plate and I haven't been hassled yet. This even counts my speeding ticket in which I am absolutely sure the radar cop saw me coming w/o the front plate. It's kept in the trunk just in case I'm ever asked to prove I have it..... not Mustang related but I had my previous car for almost 10 years without a front plate with zero problems.

of course now I'll probably get a ticket
Old 12/17/07, 11:09 PM

I'm in L.A. and have driven my car since 1996, from the day I bought it, without a front plate. I've only been cited once for it despite being pulled over 3 times. Actually, I was cited one other time when I got a parking ticket. I can only guess the cops are lazy and rely on looking at the rear plate since they can see it from the front seat of their patrol car.

For my new Mustang, I will carry on the tradition.

JUST SAY NO TO HOLES!
Old 12/17/07, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been driving Mustangs since 1998 in California without a front plate and have yet to recieve a ticket. Only on 2 occasions was it actually brought up while I was already pulled over, but was never written on a ticket. I refuse to drill my bumper.
Old 12/17/07, 11:55 PM
GT Member

Got a ticket while parked in a parking structure in the bay area. Had been driving without one for years before then. Bummer.
Old 12/17/07, 11:59 PM
Cobra R Member

My body shop has used adhesive to put front plates on cars
Old 12/18/07, 01:23 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I never use the front plate..never have never will. Ive been ticketed before, its a fix it. Get CHP to sign it off at no cost and then the court filing fees are only $15. Other departments charge a fee usually 10-15 to sign it off. I just made a bracket that snaps on underneath to hold the plates on while signing the tickets off, cost a couple dollars in materials from Home Depot. Ive had cops stop me for other things and not give me a ticket for the plate, Ive gotten off for speeding and let go for the front plate, Ive been stopped just for the front plate, and Ive been stopped for speeding and had the plate tacked onto the ticket so its a complete crap shoot on if a cops going to care; it does however give them a reason to pull you over so if you have something to hide or dont want to be bothered then put one on and avoid it.

In Laguna they let you get away with not having one but require that cars park by pulling foward into spots, you will get a ticket for backing in....weird trade off.
Old 12/18/07, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove my '70 fastback with personalized plates for years in L.A. without the front plate after I put on a Boss 302 chin spoiler. Never had an issue and that front plate is hanging in my garage.
Old 12/18/07, 10:29 AM

I dont use my front plate after driving for over a year I still have not gotten a ticket.
Old 12/18/07, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Driven in L.A. since '74 w/out front plates. Went 25 years no ticket......then got one in Bev Hills....meter expired. In the last 18 months 2 more both in L.A. city, both for no front plate. L.A. recently has installed a lot of cameras @ intersections....so now the crack down.

If I remeber correctly this is a $25.00 fix it ticket....here is the weird part....if you don't fix it and pay the $25.00 all is well until they nail you again. If you fix it....which includes sending in a picture with date (not your girlfriend) or having a peace officer sign off....the fine is reduced to $10.00. Lot's of things hold plates temporarily including that putty like stuff that comes in strips.
Old 12/18/07, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

On a side note, in 5 years I have not given one person a ticket for fail to display plates. But as many have said, it is a reason for a stop. I just have to have both to set an example...
Old 12/18/07, 06:19 PM
GT Member

I have been licensed for five years now, and every car i've owned ran no front plate. Never been ticketed for it. I've been pulled over many many times and cops never said nothing. However, one time i got a parking ticket in walnut creek, ca and they got me for the plate too.

-dan
Old 12/19/07, 10:36 AM
FR500 Member

just leave it off..its a law in jersey, but laws r made to be broken right??

Quick Reply: California front license plate?