2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/05, 06:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone here ordered and bought their car out of state.

How does the sales tax work?

Someone told me that you have to pay both state taxes and fees.

Is there any problems with ordering and buying out of state?
Old 10/19/05, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I live in Virginia and bought my car in Texas. You can only be charged tax from one state...it will be the one you register the car in.
Old 10/19/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, bought mine in Savannah, only about an hour from here but still outta state
Old 10/19/05, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

If you go to another state and pick it up then take it home to register you will get nailed twice. To avoid tax in the state where you purchase the car you have to have them deliver the car out of that state. I don't know if all states will let you do this but California does. In CA you have to have a notarizd document saying delivery took place out of CA. Also, you can't bring the vehicle back to CA for 90 days. I am from OR so we don't have sales tax. I bought an RV in CA and had it delivered to Las Vegas to avoid CA tax.

If you buy in OR then register in CA they will collect the tax when you register.
Old 10/19/05, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Bought mine in Jersay from dealer on E-Bay. Taxes were paid to VA.
Old 10/19/05, 07:03 PM
GT Member

I live in Illinois. In 96 I bought a new Dodge truck in Wisconsin. (About 20 miles away) I paid Illinois Sales tax & liscense.

96 was the first year Chrysler put electronic controls on the transmissions. I had a lot of trouble with it & couldn't get the dealer to fix it right. I never got that far but, it turned out to take them to court I would have had to go to federal court & my laywer wasn't liscensed to do it.
Old 10/19/05, 07:06 PM
X13

I ordered my car from a dealer in Florida and had it delivered and registered
in New Jersey. The dealership in Florida handled all the paperwork but I only
needed to pay sales tax one time. I was told Florida and New Jersey have a
reciprocal agreement for taxes. This may not be true for all states so it would be
wise to check first.
Old 10/19/05, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Humm now I have conflicting reports.

I am looking to buy it in Illinois and drive it back to Pennsylvania.

Will I have to pay Illinois and/or PA state taxes?

Is it really different in different states
Old 10/19/05, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

bought mine in Geogia but only had to pay sales tax for Alabama. thankfully sales tax here is only 2%
Old 10/19/05, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by King Cobra@October 19, 2005, 9:09 PM

PA has reciprocal agreements with most states. You generally pay the PA state taxes when you buy the car...no matter where you buy it. The seller will then give you a notarized statement which allows you to register your car in PA. The seller also gives you a temporary registration (good for 10 days, I think) to give you time to get the car to PA. Actual registration must be done in PA itself. The notarized statement is required to verify PA taxes were paid.

Hope this helps.
Old 10/19/05, 08:23 PM
GT Member

That helps thanks.

I had to cancel my order here in PA due to other expenses, but I was wondering how that all worked with the taxes.

I don't know when I will get to re-order but hopefully it won't be too long.
Old 10/19/05, 11:54 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by King Cobra@October 19, 2005, 8:09 PM

Funny I saw this, I just drove my car to PA after buying it in Illinois yesterday. Only things you should pay for at the dealership in Illinois is a $10 drive-off tag and te price of the vehicle. PA will collect tax when you register the car (going to do that tomorrow at AAA so I can have the plate immediately to go get the PA inspection done).

BTW if you take the OH turnpike as part of the drive back watch for cops, they are freaking EVERYWHERE. I think I saw 10 patrol cars going through Ohio.
Old 10/20/05, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Most states including PA have a reciprocal agreement with IL concerning sales tax. You would pay whatever your local tax is when you register the car.
Old 10/20/05, 07:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in Brooklyn, NY & purchased my car from Maroone Ford in Florida. You only pay your state taxes, title and registration fees (if that's where you're registering your car). The dealer figures it all out and should charge you for your state tax, title and registration in your bill of sale. They give you a temp plate good for a month and they file all the paper work with your state DMV. You shouldn't have to do anything but wait for the plates to come.
Old 10/20/05, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Only prob I know of if the State you live in requires a front license plate and the state you buy from doesnt need them, you might get pulled over if u drive by a cop.
Old 10/20/05, 09:07 AM

the dealer should be able to solve the issue for you with his paperwork
I bought in Connecticut, live in NY, and the dealer filled out papers on his end so that he did not have to collect Connecticut tax, and I only paid NY tax at the tax rate that applied to the county I live in
Old 10/20/05, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

When I sold cars in Texas, the way it worked for us was as follows: You had to pay sales tax in TX ( I believe it was 8%) and if you lived somewhere else, you would have to pay the difference of sales taxes of the other state. For example, MI sales tax is 6%, so since the customer already paid 2% more tax, they would be exempt from the MI tax. However, lets say that MI was 9%, then when registering the car in MI you would have to pay the 1% difference. Hope this helps.
Old 10/20/05, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@October 20, 2005, 8:30 AM
I live in Brooklyn, NY & purchased my car from Maroone Ford in Florida. You only pay your state taxes, title and registration fees (if that's where you're registering your car). The dealer figures it all out and should charge you for your state tax, title and registration in your bill of sale. They give you a temp plate good for a month and they file all the paper work with your state DMV. You shouldn't have to do anything but wait for the plates to come.
This varies by state. He's looking to go from IL to PA and I can tell you for a fact that's not how it works, you get an IL temp tag to transport the car and pay everything in PA when you register it.
Old 10/20/05, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@October 20, 2005, 7:04 AM
Most states including PA have a reciprocal agreement with IL concerning sales tax. You would pay whatever your local tax is when you register the car.
What he said. BTW Ed, I'm loving the car, thanks again
Old 10/20/05, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I live in GA and bought Stang in Alabama.....only had to pay GA state taxes.......they mailed me a bill for that.

Quick Reply: Buying out of state