buying 06 mustang gt (need help) - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

buying 06 mustang gt (need help)

Old 10/16/17, 01:21 AM   #1

buying 06 mustang gt (need help)

I'm looking to buy an 06 mustang gt, its from a no name dealership with like 40 other cars in the lot (and like another 3 dealerships in the country) it has 263k miles on it... now I know the engine "SHOULD" be fine if taken care of properly... what do you guys think? and what should I look at before taking a mechanic to look at it(don't want to spend any money on it if I can tell myself that it's no good) they're asking for 6500 I'm hoping to get it down to 3500 because of the miles and the fact that its hella old.... (there's an 09 somewhere else for 6k at 170k miles on it so...) (the reason I'm asking is because I had an 03 lincoln towncar, basically same engine, the engine block cracked, head gasket failure, intake manifold(the old plastic one) crumbled to pieces where the coolant goes through it in the back and I went through 4 diffs in almost no time at all doing 1 wheel burnouts in the thing... hoping the mustang is more durable on the rear axle part at least)

Other than the rubber bushings that have probably gone if not been replaced recently and the fact that the whole thing is a rust bucket on the underside (its in a salt state) what should I look at, and how much rust is too much?(I plan on getting it to get it sideways and just really mess around, bang it through the gears, but I want it to last me at least 1-2 years and maybe idk like 30k miles or so. Pretty much my daily driver when in in town, while i take my 2016 charger when im on the highway in stop/start traffic (gotta love the auto for that lol)
micvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10/16/17, 05:25 AM   #2
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds like the 'deal' my neighbor ran across . He found a 2000 Mustang v6 at a buy here, pay here car lot. My neighbor asked me if it was worth $6,000 with 235,000 miles on it? I told him, 'NO' .

If you have 'bad' credit and want the Mustang, then its worth the price. If you have good credit, then keep on looking Just my opinion
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/17, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Sounds like the 'deal' my neighbor ran across . He found a 2000 Mustang v6 at a buy here, pay here car lot. My neighbor asked me if it was worth $6,000 with 235,000 miles on it? I told him, 'NO' .

If you have 'bad' credit and want the Mustang, then its worth the price. If you have good credit, then keep on looking Just my opinion
I should mention I'm just looking for something at around 3-4k with around 300 or more hp just to horse around, planning to buy outright on my credit card and pay it back in like 6 months or less.... honestly I just want to know if the car had any hope of being ok, before I get a mechanic to check it out. A 2000 for 6k? Lol that's hilarious.... I'd say maybe for 2-3 or so... anyway not buying the 06 unless I get it down to less than 4k taxes fees included.
micvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/17, 07:34 AM   #4
Post *****

I say keep shopping. What does Kelley Blue Book say it is worth?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/17, 08:19 AM   #5
Cobra Member

Keep shopping. There are good lower mileage cars out there in your price range. A lot of stangs are garage queens. You should be able to find a good '06 with over half those miles, maybe even lower than 100K.

Keep looking...
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/17, 02:50 PM   #6
Bullitt Member

Definitely keep looking. Got my 07 with 80k for 10k.
VGMStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/17, 12:01 PM   #7
Cobra R Member

With the rust under the car, and the mileage I would say pass. If you can wait a little you may find a better one at the same price. For instance, if the car needs a tune up it will cost you at least 300 bucks anywhere if the mechanic knows about the two piece plugs. If you're bit mechanically inclined you can change the brakes, belts, fuel filter, and fluids that will most likely need to be done. And of course if it needs tires there's another 700 - 800 dollars. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by wanted33; 10/22/17 at 12:02 PM.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/17, 09:24 PM   #8
Cobra R Member

That Mustang was bypassed at auction by other dealers and is on a no-name lot for a reason.

One is the mileage. My '06 GT is a daily driver, and has been from day one. She only has 176k on her, and has been on more than few wonderful long road trips.

I'd bet there's other reasons that more experienced eyes saw. But I'm betting the mileage is the first thing that made more dealers take a pass on that car.
Paris MkVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/17, 10:54 PM   #9
GT Member

I wouldn't buy it simply because of the mileage. The tranny if it hasn't been replaced it will need to be soon. Mine didn't last 100k. Apparently they don't last as long as the engines do. Also if there's a lot of rust underneath it's not worth it unless you want to restore it. Avoid the headache and get something better.
Gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
06 mustang, 06 mustang gt