2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Buy a Mustang GT without a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/06, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a Mustang GT without a test drive?

So my ordered GT should arrive at the dealer hopefully next week and I've never even driven a 2005+ Mustang. Is that odd? My co-worker keeps telling me I'm crazy and I have to go drive one to make sure everything fits OK and I like it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal - it's not like I'm 6' 10" or have a third arm or something. What's not to like? Anyone else buy a Mustang without a test drive?

I'm just looking forward to how the 300hp feel since my current car was rated at 140hp.
Old 9/2/06, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered my 05 in 04 when there were no GTs to test drive.Never drove one or saw one in person.Just ordered what I saw and read about online.Even if you did test drive one its not the one your ordering.....so your actually ordering and buying a car you've never drivin anyway. lol
It's not odd.
Now if you were buying a 1000BC Camel from Kookamunga without rideing it then I'd say thats odd.
Old 9/2/06, 08:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Test drive YOUR car before you sign the papers... that's all I did.
Old 9/2/06, 08:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MrLatte
So my ordered GT should arrive at the dealer hopefully next week and I've never even driven a 2005+ Mustang. Is that odd? My co-worker keeps telling me I'm crazy and I have to go drive one to make sure everything fits OK and I like it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal - it's not like I'm 6' 10" or have a third arm or something. What's not to like? Anyone else buy a Mustang without a test drive?

I'm just looking forward to how the 300hp feel since my current car was rated at 140hp.
We all think you will like it. You know it goes fast.
I have to say I always used to say to my customers, "You can have the most expensive car in the world, but if you are not comfortable in it its worthless".
You will most likely be very happy.
I wanted to go for the test drives just to spook the salesman.
I felt I could take a right angle corner without slowing down and pass a tractor trailer with no problem. He wasn't quite as sure.
Old 9/2/06, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

I didn't, it would not have changed anything. The cars under warrentty and any issues will get resolved. I've never bought a new car yet that didn't need something done.
Old 9/2/06, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't test drive mine. Heck, I have never even driven a mustang newer than 69 before. If I don't like it, what else am I going to buy?
Old 9/2/06, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered it without ever driving one. I ended up driving one as my order was being filled, but that didn't change anything.
Old 9/2/06, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

When I drove one for the first time it was 10x more than I was expecting. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just make sure yours works before you sign the papers.
Old 9/2/06, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Didn't test drive mine, and the salesman thought I was nuts or something. But, it's a Mustang, and I knew nothing was going to keep me from buying it - I'd always wanted one. What was the point. There was only an hour and a half until closing, and I didn't want to waste the time and risk having to wait a WHOLE EXTRA DAY to get my pony home to the barn. Sure test drive one if you're waiting around for yours to get there, but it won't change your mind.
Old 9/2/06, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bought mine from ISELLFORD and signed all the papers without ever having driven an 05+.

Before this, the only other mustang I've ever driven was a friend's 99 cobra.
Old 9/2/06, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tedz Pony
risk having to wait a WHOLE EXTRA DAY

I test drove an automatic, and then ordered a manual. The first time I drove the 5-speed stang was when I pulled it off the lot.
Old 9/2/06, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Want one without a test drive. Sure!

Actually sign final purchase without first testing and checking out everything. Never!
Old 9/2/06, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I had test driven a V6 manual, but there were NO GTs to be had at the end of MY 05. I ordered my GT, when it showed up, I looked it over for anything they could blame me for, signed the papers and drove away. I figured any problems would be covered under warranty, 12K plus miles and still no regrets.
Old 9/2/06, 09:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VVVROOM

I test drove an automatic, and then ordered a manual. The first time I drove the 5-speed stang was when I pulled it off the lot.
I did the same thing...
only... driving the manual off the lot was the first time I had driven a manual car yeah..it was interesting
Old 9/2/06, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't test drive one as well before I ordered. The car was better than I had hoped for.
Old 9/2/06, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

not test driving one is not that uncommon, but i ordered mine with out ever seeing one in person. i saw one in pictures from the 2004 sema show and i knew i wanted one right then and there, after looking at pictures online and reading up on them for a month or so i placed my order with out ever seeing a 05+ in person. now that some people might say is crazy hahaha
Old 9/2/06, 11:39 PM

haha! i guess i'm also part of this group! the only stangs i've driven were 1968 coupe and a 2003 Mach 1..... Hell if its half as fun to drive as those were i don't think i need a test drive!
Old 9/3/06, 01:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I orded mine while I was in Iraq. Had never seen one in person as they were just being released when I left to go overseas.Definetly no test drive. My captain made me nervous hes about my size 6'4 260 his wife had a 2004 and he said he wouldnt drive it cause he sat to high and his head rubbed the headliner. Well I picked it up and I have plenty of room. I have head room and leg room. My new mustang is by far the MOST comfortable car ive ever had.

The only other vehicle I remember being as comfortable in was a ford excursion It was decked out with all the upgrades possible. I felt like I was sitting in a lazyboy.
Old 9/3/06, 01:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I hadn't test drove one before and hadn't drove a Mustang except my friends 89... I wasn't until the fleet person implored me to. After the short test drive I knew that I wanted the Mustang more than ever and then actually getting mine was icing on the cake. It's honestly been everything I wanted and more.... and I only have 275 miles on it !!!!
Old 9/3/06, 02:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azoufan
Ordered it without ever driving one. I ended up driving one as my order was being filled, but that didn't change anything.

Same here! I never even saw one in person until about a week or two after I ordered mine. I got to drive one at the Innovation drive about a month later and was happier than I thought I would be.

Quick Reply: Buy a Mustang GT without a test drive?