2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt out headlight.

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/07, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Burnt out headlight.

Okay, I have 2006 v6 mustang that I had put nokya 7000k lights in. They worked great, but then they started burning out. I replaced each one once, and now the left one has burnt out again, I tried to replace it but the new one stopped working almost immediatley, but I noticed it still works if I have the hi beams on, at first if I left the hi beams on after a while it would work on the regular beams but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I did notice that the plastic cord that goes around the wires leading to the burnt out headlight is pulled back and its just the electrical tape around the wires. So is it just bad luck with the bulbs on my part or is there anything else you would suggest checking or doing?
Old 2/9/07, 12:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
How long do your stock lamps last?

Did you degrease the Nokya bulb surfaces? If you touched them, your finger will transfer oil to the bulb glass and cause the light to fail prematurely.
Old 2/9/07, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Perhaps the fact that they are made by Nokya and are "7000K" make a difference. Honestly, I would go with silverstars.

Also, make sure that the wattage for the bulbs is the same as stock. A lot of the aftermarket bulb manufacturers use higher wattage bulbs, which can lead to burnt up wiring harnesses (from what I hear)
Old 2/9/07, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

I would honestly check the wattage before replacing any after marking blulbs. In my old car I did the same as you and didnt realize it was happening until I looked at the wiring harness. The plastic clip that clips on to the bulp was burned and was causing a poor contact. That would be a start for you to check.
Old 2/9/07, 03:30 PM
GTR Member

7000k refers to the lighting color and has nothing to do with wattage or quality.

SilverStars and SilverStar Ultras aren't much better since they are also tinted bulbs.
Old 2/9/07, 05:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Silverstars keep the original wattage.
Old 2/9/07, 05:40 PM
GTR Member

When the SilverStars first came out, they were rated 5W higher than the max allotted wattage under FMVSS 108. Sylvania later changed the power rating to match the ratings listed under FMVSS 108.
Old 2/9/07, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

My advice, don't mess with any import headlight bulbs.
Old 2/9/07, 10:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
My advice, don't mess with any import headlight bulbs.
Agreed. American muscle American parts. americanmuscle.com has a nice HID conversion kit for 300 or regular bulbs by luminics
Old 2/9/07, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.
The stock ones never burnt out, I just wanted whiter looking ones and nokya was the only company making H13 bulbs at the time. The first set I got I know were stock wattage, but the second set I just grabbed what they had at the store so that might be it. I was pretty careful not to touch the bulbs. I'll check tommorow morning and see if I can see anything else.
Old 2/10/07, 04:13 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbradley1989
Thanks for the replies.
The stock ones never burnt out, I just wanted whiter looking ones and nokya was the only company making H13 bulbs at the time. The first set I got I know were stock wattage, but the second set I just grabbed what they had at the store so that might be it. I was pretty careful not to touch the bulbs. I'll check tommorow morning and see if I can see anything else.
Short of converting to HIDs, your best best is the Silverstar Ultras. They are plug and play with the same wattage as the stock setup. And while people seem to be divided on their opinion of the Silverstars, from my research, I would say it's about a 65% favorable, 35% unfavorable response to them.

They claim to give you about 20% greater luminance, and a light that is significantly whiter and brighter than the stock bulbs, which are mediocre by most accounts.
Old 2/10/07, 05:42 AM
Cobra R Member

They don't make the Ultras for the H13 yet.
Old 2/10/07, 06:12 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
Agreed. American muscle American parts. americanmuscle.com has a nice HID conversion kit for 300 or regular bulbs by luminics

Ricer bulb alert.

The HID conversions they have:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-du...m-kit-h13.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-si...m-kit-h10.html

are equally worthless. For HIDs to work properly, you need projection HIDs. You cannot use HIDs with your stock reflectors and expect them to work properly. The Saleen HIDs are rumored to be going on the 2008 Mustang as an option. If the OEMs are using that as factory HID lighting, you can bet the ones they select are FMVSS 108 compliant. This doesn't necessarily mean the Saleen HIDs are 108 compliant though.
Old 2/10/07, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

nokya makes great bulbs. you most likely are running the stage 3 high watt bulbs, without the upgraded harness, and burning your wiring harness. dont go above stock wattage, but nokya bulbs are great quality and last a real long time. or you could just be unlucky.
Old 2/10/07, 04:56 PM
Cobra R Member

They may be ricer and I would never do it but, it's what he was looking for
Old 2/10/07, 05:01 PM
GTR Member

I plan to give the Sylvania XtraVision H13XV's a try if my stock H13s aren't any good.

FWIW I think the stock H10 "fog lamps" are pretty **** bright. They are also aimed way above the horizontal plane compared to the headlamps, which can explain why pickup truck drivers get ****ed off by the Mustang's lighting... which is a GOOD thing
Old 2/10/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I plan to give the Sylvania XtraVision H13XV's a try if my stock H13s aren't any good.
I would skip the XV's and go straight to the silverstars. The XV's are nice, but the silverstars are even better.
Old 2/10/07, 06:57 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by mikes rx
They don't make the Ultras for the H13 yet.
I believe I read somewhere that they are supposed to be available by either this month or next.
Old 2/10/07, 07:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I would skip the XV's and go straight to the silverstars. The XV's are nice, but the silverstars are even better.
The problem with the SilverStars and SilverStar Ultra is reduced lamp life (according to Sylvania) and tinted bulb lenses much like ricer bulbs. Dan Stern recommends the XtraVisions for the H13 Mustang GT lamp assemblies.

I used Sylvania XtraVision 9007s on my Crown Vic for 4 years and switched to GE Nighthawk 9007s (both were recommended by Dan Stern) and they made a WORLD of a difference in lighting versus stock.
Old 2/10/07, 07:04 PM
Closet American

The problem with the SilverStars and SilverStar Ultra is reduced lamp life (according to Sylvania) and tinted bulb lenses much like ricer bulbs. Dan Stern recommends the XtraVisions for the H13 Mustang GT lamp assemblies.
The regular SilverStars had reduced lamp life and it's a common complaint if you check around on different forums. According to Sylvania, the chief improvement of the Ultras is lifespan, though that has yet to be confirmed.

SilverStars are nothing like "ricer bulbs." They do not produce a blue tint in either the beam pattern or the point light source. They are much closer to pure white. Not trying to be argumentative at all, but I've been researching this extensively.

I used Sylvania XtraVision 9007s on my Crown Vic for 4 years and switched to GE Nighthawk 9007s (both were recommended by Dan Stern) and they made a WORLD of a difference in lighting versus stock.
Brighter, no doubt - but again, very yellowish compared to SilverStars, which is, if I read this thread correctly, the thing most people are trying to get rid of.

Quick Reply: Burnt out headlight.