2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/06, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build Quality

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the workmanship and build quality that goes into the new GT's. I've had my 06 for about 3 months now, and im still astounded with the quality of the interior and exterior.

The real aluminum accents on the dash, and the thick, luxurious carpet, Beautiful retro design on the guages, the sport seats....even the fit and finish on the body panels.....this isnt the kind of workmanship you uasually find on a $25K car!!!! I drive my GT a little every afternoon, and I still love it just as much today as the day i bought it. I try to compare it to my chevy blazer in fit and finish, and there is no comparison....the blazer has poorly alligned body panels, poorly fitting interior peices, and the doors are starting to sag a little.

I'm amazed that Ford was able to offer the performance, power, enginering, fit and finish that they did in the new mustangs at the price that they did. I've always liked ford better than GM. Now i know why.

Sorry if this has been covered before...but i felt like i just had to say something.
Old 6/28/06, 08:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is nice but I'm still gonna complain about the cheap plastic inside and the carpet.That is all.I'm finished bitcin.I love her otherwise!!
Old 6/28/06, 09:03 PM

I think that the plastic and the carpet are some of the best peices...but then again, I'm used to driving a chevy...LOL.
Old 6/28/06, 09:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RedneckPony
I think that the plastic and the carpet are some of the best peices...but then again, I'm used to driving a chevy...LOL.
No Comment
Old 6/28/06, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
No Comment
No Comment either!
Old 6/28/06, 10:19 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I put almost 17000 miles on my '05 GT in 10 months, and everything still looked great, and fit great. I sold a 2000 Toyota Tacoma when I got the Mustang, and liked the interior of the mustang better. I had a friend with a 2001 BMW 330i, and I felt the Mustang was just a hair below the quality of the BMW. The seating surfaces were much better in the BMW, but dash, doors, etc were very close, in my opinion. And I spent many, many days goign to lunch in that BMW, since there were usually 3 of us going to lunch, and his was the only 4 seater.
Old 6/29/06, 12:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the workmanship and build quality that goes into the new GT's. I've had my 06 for about 3 months now, and im still astounded with the quality of the interior and exterior.

The real aluminum accents on the dash, and the thick, luxurious carpet, Beautiful retro design on the guages, the sport seats....even the fit and finish on the body panels.....this isnt the kind of workmanship you uasually find on a $25K car!!!!
The new platform design and manufacturing processes have helped immensely on this Mustang. It is a step up from the last generation car for sure.

This kind of workmanship can be found on less expensive cars, and, in my opinion, it really should be a given these days. I still consider $25K+ as "expensive" and therefore have expectations that the fit and finish rivals those of Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys in the under $25K range.

Fortunately, they are closer than further apart than they used to be.

The telling situation will be in a few years from now. Hopefully, the S197 cars will hold up well.
Old 6/29/06, 05:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

"thick, luxurious carpet" - are you sure your driving a Mustang? Otherwise, I agree. Too much plastic, but pretty well put together.
Old 6/29/06, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rash
"thick, luxurious carpet" - are you sure your driving a Mustang? Otherwise, I agree. Too much plastic, but pretty well put together.
I agree. This is the first positive comment I've read about the carpet. I remember many posts complaining about early wear, even under the driver's floormat. Of course, if the carpet in the previous car was worn out, then it may appear thick, but only because it is new. Otherwise, the car is well-executed and a tremendous improvement over the SN-95.
Old 6/29/06, 09:23 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I am very happy with the fit and finish on the '05... I noticed that there were improvements on the sheetmetal on the '06's as well.

The carpet however is very thin and I don't see it aging well... time will tell
Old 6/30/06, 01:31 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying the interior is awesome. My wifes Pontiac G6 has a better fit/finish and interior feels better than the mustang and her car cost less than my GT
Old 6/30/06, 05:15 PM

...about the carpet...you must understand, my last two veicheles were a '94 nissan pickup, and a '99 chevy blazer....with really crappy carpet in both.... trust me...the carpet in the mustang is luxury comapared to what i'm used to
Old 6/30/06, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

My '05 is a definite improvement over the two SN95s that I had, but I am disappointed with the vast amount of hard plastic, in addition to the many rattles in my interior that are too numerous to count at this point; 25,000 miles later.

It is still a great car that I look forward to driving everyday, buy Ford still has a long way to go on the quality front.
Old 6/30/06, 09:02 PM

I'm glad they went with the hard pastic, personally....padded dashes always seem to crack and peel after a few years. So far, I have no squeeks or rattles in mine....but then again, I'm used to stuff that sqeeaks and rattles ALOT..hehe
Old 6/30/06, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

theres an upside
Old 7/1/06, 03:30 AM
Closet American

The real aluminum accents on the dash, and the thick, luxurious carpet, Beautiful retro design on the guages, the sport seats....even the fit and finish on the body panels.....this isnt the kind of workmanship you uasually find on a $25K car!!!! I drive my GT a little every afternoon, and I still love it just as much today as the day i bought it. I try to compare it to my chevy blazer in fit and finish, and there is no comparison....the blazer has poorly alligned body panels, poorly fitting interior peices, and the doors are starting to sag a little.

I'm amazed that Ford was able to offer the performance, power, enginering, fit and finish that they did in the new mustangs at the price that they did. I've always liked ford better than GM. Now i know why.

Sorry if this has been covered before...but i felt like i just had to say something.
OK, the Stang is awesome, but the price is right where it ought to be for what you get.

"Luxurious carpet"...? "...padded dashes always seem to crack and peel after a few years." No offense, but you need to get out more and look at more vehicles.
Old 7/1/06, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

my father said the Mustang felt Japanese inside (in Europe it is a disadvantage)
Old 7/1/06, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RalphBullit
my father said the Mustang felt Japanese inside (in Europe it is a disadvantage)
Your father needs to get out and drive more cars also!
Old 7/1/06, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

The door and fender gaps of the new GT got my attention from day one. Mine are even and clean. The '99 Z28 I used to own didn't compare in that respect. The fender and hood fit bothered me so much I had the local bodyshop massage the panels to fit better because I hated the uneven gaps. I also like the new GT interior better too. I like a dash to be compact not 3 feet wide from the face to the winshield base. Looks like an ironing board without the legs.
Old 7/2/06, 10:06 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, now boys, either take your little heated argument and use the PM feature or just drop the issue all together. Threads are not to be used for therapy I have deleted the non-topic related posts.

Quick Reply: Build Quality