2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/17, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Light

Have a 2006 mustang convertible with 20k miles. I drove the car in a rain and my brake lights went out. I only have 2 brake lights on passenger side only. I check all the bulbs and they are all good. What do I need to check now? Thanks
Old 2/15/17, 08:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by st06vert
Have a 2006 mustang convertible with 20k miles. I drove the car in a rain and my brake lights went out. I only have 2 brake lights on passenger side only. I check all the bulbs and they are all good. What do I need to check now? Thanks
Fuse maybe?
Old 2/16/17, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
After the rainy trip, did you notice any wetness in the passenger side floor area? The STB (Secondary Junction Box, I believe) is located over there. If the STB gets wet, weird electrical things begin to happen. This is most commonly caused by the drainhole on the passenger side cowling getting plugged, allowing water to accumulate and leak into the cabin around the STB area.

If your car is parked outside a lot, or gets a lot of debris from trees on it, it is one possible cause. Lots of threads on this issue. Do a search for "leak" and "STB".
Old 2/16/17, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
After the rainy trip, did you notice any wetness in the passenger side floor area? The STB (Secondary Junction Box, I believe) is located over there. If the STB gets wet, weird electrical things begin to happen. This is most commonly caused by the drainhole on the passenger side cowling getting plugged, allowing water to accumulate and leak into the cabin around the STB area.

If your car is parked outside a lot, or gets a lot of debris from trees on it, it is one possible cause. Lots of threads on this issue. Do a search for "leak" and "STB".
My car is garaged and did not also notice any wetness as it was in the evening. The trip was a 30minute drive. What do I replace or check at the secondary junction box? Thanks
Old 2/17/17, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Its called a Smart Junction Box or SJB. STB is sometimes used for Strut Tower Brace.

Check for corrosion or water intrusion. It basiccally runs everything but your motor and tranny. So any time you have electrical gremlins like doors locking or horn going off randomly usually leads back to the SJB.
Old 2/20/17, 01:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You mean the third light on the trunk lid ? How's the seal around the lense ? Easy to change build & id check the bulb that it's the right voltage